Slowly Coming Out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Slowly Coming Out
I had a friend tell me that one of my buddies I used to minister with say that I'm doubting my faith, I'm in a dilemma, and I need to come back. Honestly I don't care and hope more people know I'm an atheist because my mission in this life that I feel motivated to do is educate others and fight organized religion and indoctrination. The biggest thing holding me back is making my parents feel sad or upset. They see me just as confused right now and think I will come back to the faith. I just at times feel like I've failed them and they feel like they messed up in raising me even though I'm still a good person just an atheist. I have some friends who know and support me, but I'm hoping to find a group. The public university I'm considering attending next year had a Secular Student Alliance and I hope they still do. Any advice?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2016, 07:54 PM
RE: Slowly Coming Out
Be true to yourself. It's hard when religious friends and family try to pull you back in to religion, but you deserve to live the life you want and to be true to your own thoughts and feelings. I would just continue to show your parents you are the same person you always were. Go out and do amazing things in the world and blow their minds that someone can do all of that and still not believe in God Wink As for religious friends, I usually just tell them that I am happy with my decision and would like to leave it at that. If they continue to push and push to the point that it's too much--unfortunately, it may be time to get some new friends or possibly just limit your time with them.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-10-2016, 08:13 PM
(07-10-2016 07:54 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Be true to yourself. It's hard when religious friends and family try to pull you back in to religion, but you deserve to live the life you want and to be true to your own thoughts and feelings. I would just continue to show your parents you are the same person you always were. Go out and do amazing things in the world and blow their minds that someone can do all of that and still not believe in God Wink As for religious friends, I usually just tell them that I am happy with my decision and would like to leave it at that. If they continue to push and push to the point that it's too much--unfortunately, it may be time to get some new friends or possibly just limit your time with them.

Thank you very much! I will definitely do those things.
[+] 1 user Likes goldenarm's post
01-11-2016, 12:17 PM

this could lead up to good things, like science. it might get tough with others, but I guess tolerance is the first step.
01-11-2016, 02:20 PM
(07-10-2016 07:42 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  I had a friend tell me that one of my buddies I used to minister with say that I'm doubting my faith, I'm in a dilemma, and I need to come back. Honestly I don't care and hope more people know I'm an atheist because my mission in this life that I feel motivated to do is educate others and fight organized religion and indoctrination. The biggest thing holding me back is making my parents feel sad or upset. They see me just as confused right now and think I will come back to the faith. I just at times feel like I've failed them and they feel like they messed up in raising me even though I'm still a good person just an atheist. I have some friends who know and support me, but I'm hoping to find a group. The public university I'm considering attending next year had a Secular Student Alliance and I hope they still do. Any advice?

Jenny said it be true to you're self. You know your playing feild better then any of us could. If your a good person then that's all you can be.

If people are questioning your "faith" then question theirs. Not in a dimeaning way. Just a way to make them think. My wife still holds out hope that I believe in god. But she's slowly (very very slowly) coming to terms with it. I even got here to come to a self realization the other day.

I asked her how so many people can believe in so many things. And she said "It's were your born. Your going to believe what you were raised to believe." She took a moment to think about what she had just said then proceed "that why i'm a christian because that's what I was taught. I know nothing about the other religions because i was never introduced to them." I told her I thought that was very profound. and she could think about what she said a little more. We went to see Tim Minchin yesterday and she was even laughing hard at the Jesus jokes he was making. When we first started going she would have stompered out of the room.

Some times you just need to plant a seed of doubt and see if it will take root.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin