Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
07-09-2014, 08:28 AM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(07-09-2014 08:23 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 08:00 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I find no good reason to read them.

Expanding your vocabulary, giving insight into complex issues, training your mind to see subtlety and nuance. Go read some of the classics (I suggest starting with Frank Herbert's Dune) and see if afterwards your mind has been expanded.

OMG - many years ago I dated a guy that was so into Dune. He was adamant that I read it, so I did. Not my kind of book - at all.

However, I have always loved reading. I alternate between fiction and non depending on my mood. I usually have one of each going at all times. I have some books that I have had since I was a child as well as other favorites from over the years that I reread every so often.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
07-09-2014, 08:34 AM
(07-09-2014 08:27 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 08:25 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  But you can learn so much through a story....I cant imagine not enjoying a book. O.o

I worry for the youth of today. Lol.

To think people have been killed for learning to read and yet most people would not crack a book if their life depended on it. Sad really.

Yep. Also, didn't Mark Twain say something like a man who does not read has no advantage over someone who can't?

Its very true.

I have a friend who loves to brag that books "arent his thing." Drives me crazy.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
07-09-2014, 08:35 AM
(07-09-2014 08:34 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 08:27 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  To think people have been killed for learning to read and yet most people would not crack a book if their life depended on it. Sad really.

Yep. Also, didn't Mark Twain say something like a man who does not read has no advantage over someone who can't?

Its very true.

I have a friend who loves to brag that books "arent his thing." Drives me crazy.

“The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.”
Pretty sure that's the quote you were lookin' for.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
07-09-2014, 08:38 AM
One of the things I like most about not being in school any more is being able to read what I want and not what I have to. Not that I didn't enjoy some of the things I had to read for school but because I like being able to make the choice and read at my leisure - just for the pleasure of it.

My Kindle sits mostly unused because I still love holding a book in my hands.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
07-09-2014, 08:38 AM
(07-09-2014 08:35 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 08:34 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Yep. Also, didn't Mark Twain say something like a man who does not read has no advantage over someone who can't?

Its very true.

“The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.”
Pretty sure that's the quote you were lookin' for.

Yes sir. That would be the one.
07-09-2014, 08:44 AM
(07-09-2014 08:25 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 07:42 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  What a sad short sighted approach to take.

But you can learn so much through a story....I cant imagine not enjoying a book. O.o

Never said I did not enjoy books, I only read books where you learn like science and history. Everything you learn in a novel you can learn without one.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
07-09-2014, 08:44 AM
(07-09-2014 08:28 AM)Anjele Wrote:  OMG - many years ago I dated a guy that was so into Dune. He was adamant that I read it, so I did. Not my kind of book - at all.

Totally agree. I was always a big science fiction fan and enjoyed many of the classics as well as many of the trashier ones but Dune was as close to unreadable as anything I ever came across. I'd rather read the begats from genesis; they're less boring and have more character development! Smile

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
07-09-2014, 08:46 AM
(07-09-2014 08:28 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 08:23 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Expanding your vocabulary, giving insight into complex issues, training your mind to see subtlety and nuance. Go read some of the classics (I suggest starting with Frank Herbert's Dune) and see if afterwards your mind has been expanded.

OMG - many years ago I dated a guy that was so into Dune. He was adamant that I read it, so I did. Not my kind of book - at all.

However, I have always loved reading. I alternate between fiction and non depending on my mood. I usually have one of each going at all times. I have some books that I have had since I was a child as well as other favorites from over the years that I reread every so often.

It is not for everyone, but it is a good way to introduce someone to complex politics and environmental/economic dichotomies. Still a good book to have read even if it is not your cup of tea.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
07-09-2014, 08:47 AM
(07-09-2014 08:44 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 08:25 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  But you can learn so much through a story....I cant imagine not enjoying a book. O.o

Never said I did not enjoy books, I only read books where you learn like science and history. Everything you learn in a novel you can learn without one.

You know. That creative, imagination based part of your brain needs exercise too.
07-09-2014, 08:53 AM
(07-09-2014 08:47 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 08:44 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Never said I did not enjoy books, I only read books where you learn like science and history. Everything you learn in a novel you can learn without one.

You know. That creative, imagination based part of your brain needs exercise too.

Science requires some imagination you know.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube