Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
07-09-2014, 09:07 AM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(07-09-2014 09:05 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 09:03 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...s-empathy/

How about empathy? You often struggle with understanding people, at your own admission.

I can learn empathy by playing a video game, or talking to people as well.

Video games not so much.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2014, 09:10 AM
(07-09-2014 09:07 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 09:05 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I can learn empathy by playing a video game, or talking to people as well.

Video games not so much.

Fuck I feel upset at many moments in pokemon.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
07-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Novels are often not 100% fiction. You can learn bits of history due to the setting. You can learn different conversational styles based on dialogue. The backdrops for stories often lead me to research things mentioned in novels that I hadn't heard about before. You are really a bit resistant to trying new things. Maybe you should be a little more open.

Books have led to many movies and TV shows but the books are almost always better than what is depicted on screen. There are movies I don't watch because I have read the book and know the movie will be a disappointment. There are a couple of exceptions.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
07-09-2014, 09:16 AM
(07-09-2014 09:10 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 09:07 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Video games not so much.

Fuck I feel upset at many moments in pokemon.

Video games tend to insulate you more than empathise you.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
07-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Just read a bunch of screen shots from ' damn you auto correct'.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
07-09-2014, 09:25 AM
(07-09-2014 09:14 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Novels are often not 100% fiction. You can learn bits of history due to the setting. You can learn different conversational styles based on dialogue. The backdrops for stories often lead me to research things mentioned in novels that I hadn't heard about before. You are really a bit resistant to trying new things. Maybe you should be a little more open.

Books have led to many movies and TV shows but the books are almost always better than what is depicted on screen. There are movies I don't watch because I have read the book and know the movie will be a disappointment. There are a couple of exceptions.

But I can learn history from history books, and conversational styles from hear other peoples dialogue. Hear me out when I say novels are useless, I mean to me. If I were to call novels useless in general, I would have to call video games and movies useless as well.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
07-09-2014, 09:38 AM
You can learn sex! Not just anatomical stuff, but hot, heart fluttering, get you all hot and bothered sex.

It gives you ideas on seducing your partner, oh, that's right, you still haven't figured out how to flirt.

Get reading some romance books and maybe you can figure out how the other sex works.

All work and no play make for a piss poor date.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
07-09-2014, 09:38 AM
(07-09-2014 09:25 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 09:14 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Novels are often not 100% fiction. You can learn bits of history due to the setting. You can learn different conversational styles based on dialogue. The backdrops for stories often lead me to research things mentioned in novels that I hadn't heard about before. You are really a bit resistant to trying new things. Maybe you should be a little more open.

But I can learn history from history books, and conversational styles from hear other peoples dialogue. Hear me out when I say novels are useless, I mean to me. If I were to call novels useless in general, I would have to call video games and movies useless as well.

You are still wrong. You were even given a scientific study to show that but you brushed it off because it contradicts your feels. So now you know how a creationist feels when they are arguing against evolution.

07-09-2014, 09:44 AM
(07-09-2014 09:38 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 09:25 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  But I can learn history from history books, and conversational styles from hear other peoples dialogue. Hear me out when I say novels are useless, I mean to me. If I were to call novels useless in general, I would have to call video games and movies useless as well.

You are still wrong. You were even given a scientific study to show that but you brushed it off because it contradicts your feels. So now you know how a creationist feels when they are arguing against evolution.

So I can't learn history from history books? So I can't learn converstional styles from hearing others? I also never said novels could not do the things people claim they do, I am saying I don't need novels, because everything I can get from a novel, I can get from something else.

07-09-2014, 09:46 AM
You may find it easier to converse with friends if you broaden your range of topics. You are very fact-based which doesn't appeal to a lot of people on a social level. Making an effort to know about things that aren't just cold, hard facts will help you to be able to make conversation and 'get' certain references.

My nephew was/is a lot like you. Kids didn't know how to deal with free flow of facts and stats. He had to learn how to interact with people on a more social level.

Your stubbornness probably hinders the social aspect of your life too. You need to blur your black and white world a little bit to let in some of the grays. This will help you to meet people that are more like you and enjoy your company.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post