Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
07-09-2014, 09:59 AM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(07-09-2014 09:46 AM)Anjele Wrote:  You may find it easier to converse with friends if you broaden your range of topics. You are very fact-based which doesn't appeal to a lot of people on a social level. Making an effort to know about things that aren't just cold, hard facts will help you to be able to make conversation and 'get' certain references.

My nephew was/is a lot like you. Kids didn't know how to deal with free flow of facts and stats. He had to learn how to interact with people on a more social level.

Your stubbornness probably hinders the social aspect of your life too. You need to blur your black and white world a little bit to let in some of the grays. This will help you to meet people that are more like you and enjoy your company.

That is a valid point but there are two problems:

A) Unless you are talking about other people, tv, or music you will not get far in socialization.

B) This is me we are talking about, I can know a whole range of topics and still not interest people.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2014, 10:12 AM
The suggestion is a way to open doors. Once you get talking to people you will find people with similar interests.

Later you find that employers often look for people with a wide range of knowledge as well as an ability to interact with other people.

Just some thoughts - trying to help.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
07-09-2014, 10:12 AM
(07-09-2014 10:12 AM)Anjele Wrote:  The suggestion is a way to open doors. Once you get talking to people you will find people with similar interests.

Later you find that employers often look for people with a wide range of knowledge as well as an ability to interact with other people.

Thanks

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
07-09-2014, 10:15 AM
(07-09-2014 10:12 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 10:12 AM)Anjele Wrote:  The suggestion is a way to open doors. Once you get talking to people you will find people with similar interests.

Thanks

A PS - I am not a social person but on a certain level have to be for work reasons. I still need some work to be better at it. It's an ongoing learning process for me.

Many years ago I worked as a bartender which was a great way to learn how to 'small talk' which I find to be useless, however, in the real world it's often necessary and smooths your way.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
07-09-2014, 04:39 PM
(07-09-2014 07:20 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 07:14 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Zeke, some books do need to be read to get the full effect. Don't miss out on the journey a good story can take you on.

Nah, to me novels are useless. I read to learn, and novels are here for entertainment.

MZ, I'd like for you to select one of the books from the list below and read it WITHOUT first going to Sparknotes. They are all relatively short novels that pack a wallop. I promise you they will make you think, and I know you like to think. Just because they are fiction doesn't mean you can't learn from them.

1. Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes
2. Animal Farm - George Orwell
3. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
4. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain

* To my other TTA bretheren who feel like I do please suggest a few other titles to our young friend.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
07-09-2014, 04:54 PM
(07-09-2014 04:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 07:20 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Nah, to me novels are useless. I read to learn, and novels are here for entertainment.

MZ, I'd like for you to select one of the books from the list below and read it WITHOUT first going to Sparknotes. They are all relatively short novels that pack a wallop. I promise you they will make you think, and I know you like to think. Just because they are fiction doesn't mean you can't learn from them.

* To my other TTA bretheren who feel like I do please suggest a few other titles to our young friend.

No, I have better things to do. I don't like fiction or novels, I don't need them, that is that.

07-09-2014, 04:55 PM
(07-09-2014 04:54 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 04:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  MZ, I'd like for you to select one of the books from the list below and read it WITHOUT first going to Sparknotes. They are all relatively short novels that pack a wallop. I promise you they will make you think, and I know you like to think. Just because they are fiction doesn't mean you can't learn from them.

No, I have better things to do. I don't like fiction or novels, I don't need them, that is that.

Weeping I weep for you

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
07-09-2014, 04:56 PM
(07-09-2014 04:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 04:54 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  No, I have better things to do. I don't like fiction or novels, I don't need them, that is that.

Weeping I weep for you

Dude I don't care. You should not either, I will be fine

07-09-2014, 04:57 PM
(07-09-2014 04:56 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 04:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Weeping I weep for you

Dude I don't care. You should not either, I will be fine

You will be a poorer spirit for it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
07-09-2014, 05:01 PM
(07-09-2014 04:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 04:56 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Dude I don't care. You should not either, I will be fine

You will be a poorer spirit for it.

Meh.