Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
07-09-2014, 06:39 PM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(07-09-2014 06:38 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 04:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  MZ, I'd like for you to select one of the books from the list below and read it WITHOUT first going to Sparknotes. They are all relatively short novels that pack a wallop. I promise you they will make you think, and I know you like to think. Just because they are fiction doesn't mean you can't learn from them.

1. Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes
2. Animal Farm - George Orwell
3. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
4. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain

* To my other TTA bretheren who feel like I do please suggest a few other titles to our young friend.

Great choices. I of course would add one other. But I dont think he'd be able to handle it in all honesty. Lol. Not the choice for a light reader.

You said this as if I was going to do it tho.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2014, 06:40 PM
(07-09-2014 06:39 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 06:38 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Great choices. I of course would add one other. But I dont think he'd be able to handle it in all honesty. Lol. Not the choice for a light reader.

You said this as if I was going to do it tho.

I know youre not going to do it. Thats why I quit discussing it earlier. You have no desire to take anyones advice, even though they have all offered really good reasons for said advice. I get that. I was just commenting on Fulls (Tongue) good choice in literature. *edited*
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
07-09-2014, 06:40 PM
(07-09-2014 06:38 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 04:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  MZ, I'd like for you to select one of the books from the list below and read it WITHOUT first going to Sparknotes. They are all relatively short novels that pack a wallop. I promise you they will make you think, and I know you like to think. Just because they are fiction doesn't mean you can't learn from them.

* To my other TTA bretheren who feel like I do please suggest a few other titles to our young friend.

Great choices. I of course would add one other. But I dont think he'd be able to handle it in all honesty. Lol. Not the choice for a light reader.

No, Morgan, you may not recommend Lord of teh Rings.
You need to recommender good books if you want to get people into reading.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
07-09-2014, 06:43 PM
(07-09-2014 06:40 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 06:38 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Great choices. I of course would add one other. But I dont think he'd be able to handle it in all honesty. Lol. Not the choice for a light reader.

It is a good book. Just not for a novice Wink
07-09-2014, 06:45 PM
(07-09-2014 06:40 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

Foolish lad. May ring-wraiths haunt your nights. Angry

[Image: RingwraithSteed8.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Our doggie, Rosco, so so silly about the new kittens. Lol

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
07-09-2014, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 07:30 PM by kim.)
(07-09-2014 04:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 07:20 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Nah, to me novels are useless. I read to learn, and novels are here for entertainment.
--

All of those are quite short books - novellas, in fact - but they contain quite complex concepts. Zeke - if you aren't exercising your abstract thinking skills ... you ain't thinking all the way.

Don't just give yourself half an education, make sure it's plumped up with complex thought processes.

I was going to suggest you read To Kill A Mockingbird, by the way. That book ... well ... you'll just have to read it to understand. Shy

Oh yes.... In 2006, British librarians ranked To Kill A Mockingbird ahead of the Bible as one book "every adult should read before they die". ... so, there's that.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
07-09-2014, 07:26 PM
(07-09-2014 07:22 PM)kim Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 04:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  --

All of those are quite short books - novellas, in fact - but they contain quite complex concepts. Zeke - if you aren't exercising your abstract thinking skills ... you ain't thinking all the way.

Don't just give yourself half an education, make sure it's plumped up with complex thought processes.

I was going to suggest you read To Kill A Mockingbird, by the way. That book ... well ... you'll just have to read it to understand. Shy

I read TKAM just a few months ago, what was I thinking waiting so long? Really good book.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-09-2014, 07:30 PM
In our recent move I just found an old copy of Fahrenheit 451. It's been ages since I read it, looking forward to picking it up again.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
07-09-2014, 07:31 PM
(07-09-2014 07:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 07:22 PM)kim Wrote:  All of those are quite short books - novellas, in fact - but they contain quite complex concepts. Zeke - if you aren't exercising your abstract thinking skills ... you ain't thinking all the way.

I read TKAM just a few months ago, what was I thinking waiting so long? Really good book.

The movie was really good too. Such a great story.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post