Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
01-01-2015, 03:45 AM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(01-01-2015 03:38 AM)Nurse Wrote:  My dad told me he'd love me no matter what. I was by myself tonight for New Years and my aunt and uncle and parents invited me down the street so I wouldn't be alone. Daddy was my New Year's Eve kiss on the cheek.
Ok, that's not a small thing. That's huge. Big Grin Affection is hard to come by.

I suspect there are quite a few here who feel affection for you. Have a joyous new year, wherever your path leads you.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
01-01-2015, 04:04 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 04:18 AM by gofish!.)
Has anybody mentioned the brains of Baba Bozo yet?

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
01-01-2015, 05:28 AM
(01-01-2015 01:08 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 01:05 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  So I was thinking about The United States, the words referring to the place, not the place itself. Isn't it weird how (at least in English) The United States is the only country name that MUST be preceded by "the"?

Then I started showing a friend those good guy Satan memes and realized, The Devil is the only god (or god-like being) that also must be preceded by "the" to make sense.

Coincidence? I think not.

[Image: conspiracy-keanu.jpg]

Given that "The Devil" is actually closer to a title of Satan than a name, you could argue that "The Lord" is also a deity which uses 'the' as part of a generally mandatory part of expression.

Damn you're right. So close...

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
01-01-2015, 05:39 AM
(01-01-2015 01:05 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  ...
Isn't it weird how (at least in English) The United States is the only country name that MUST be preceded by "the"?

The United Arab Emirates
The United Kingdom
The place that smells of garlic where they eat frog's legs.

Meanwhile...

Watching dusk fall around the hills on the horizon from the lofty sanctuary of my new apartment in a land far, far away that time forgot.

New year, new country, new lifestyle, new slaves Evil_monster

Smile

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
01-01-2015, 05:40 AM
(01-01-2015 03:38 AM)Nurse Wrote:  My dad told me he'd love me no matter what. I was by myself tonight for New Years and my aunt and uncle and parents invited me down the street so I wouldn't be alone. Daddy was my New Year's Eve kiss on the cheek.
Ok, that's not a small thing. That's huge. Big Grin Affection is hard to come by.

It is huge. (Your son is with you though, right ? Or have you and hubby broken up, and he had him ?) Except for my little brother, my brothers and sisters are quite a bit older than myself ... which has led to a unique relationship with my mom and dad. They're beyond the "controlling" way they were with the older kids.

Hug

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
01-01-2015, 07:31 AM
(01-01-2015 04:04 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Has anybody mentioned the brains of Baba Bozo yet?

That doesn't meet the "That Make You Smile" criteria. Laugh, maybe. Smile, no.

Sorry, was that too quippish?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
01-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Re: RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(01-01-2015 07:31 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 04:04 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Has anybody mentioned the brains of Baba Bozo yet?

That doesn't meet the "That Make You Smile" criteria. Laugh, maybe. Smile, no.

Sorry, was that too quippish?
Don't quip and don't reason through it.

Uh oh, did I just quip?
01-01-2015, 10:32 AM
(01-01-2015 01:05 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  So I was thinking about The United States, the words referring to the place, not the place itself. Isn't it weird how (at least in English) The United States is the only country name that MUST be preceded by "the"?

Then I started showing a friend those good guy Satan memes and realized, The Devil is the only god (or god-like being) that also must be preceded by "the" to make sense.

Like The Democratic Republic of Congo or The Australian Commonwealth or The Peoples Republic of China or The Republic of Indonesia or The Republic of Timor or any one of a number of other examples I'd be able to find if I bothered to look it up?

That said: You may have noticed a pattern.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 2 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
01-01-2015, 10:39 AM

Both are lying things that kill for fun and ruin everything. There is no coincidence.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
01-01-2015, 11:54 AM
(01-01-2015 10:39 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  

Both are lying things that kill for fun and ruin everything. There is no coincidence.

Hey, don't diss Satan. He's a cool guy Angry

Atir aissom atir imon