Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
09-08-2015, 09:49 AM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(09-08-2015 09:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ever since I saw "Amadeus" I figured I would not like Don Giovanni (too dark ? as he hated his father, and the guy that falls into hell in the opera, was, supposedly, a representation of his father). So I finally got around to listening to it ... OMG REALLY really nice music, not so dark, and whenever they start the "recitatives" (talking lines) my dog perks up his ears ... he thinks they're talking to him. Laugh out load

A couple years ago I went to see a presentation of Don Giovanni here in Dallas. A class assignment was to attend a musical performance. Unfortunately, the way they produced it was really strange. In crowd scenes the people were dressed in everything from a newsboy's outfit from the Depression era, to modern clothing, to period dress. It was really disconcerting for a first time opera audience member. It was hard to follow what was going on because there were so many distractions. At one point the main characters were dressed like super-heroes. Blink

I spent so much time trying to figure out what was going on with weird costuming that I didn't really enjoy the music or the story. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2015, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 11:59 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(09-08-2015 09:49 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 09:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ever since I saw "Amadeus" I figured I would not like Don Giovanni (too dark ? as he hated his father, and the guy that falls into hell in the opera, was, supposedly, a representation of his father). So I finally got around to listening to it ... OMG REALLY really nice music, not so dark, and whenever they start the "recitatives" (talking lines) my dog perks up his ears ... he thinks they're talking to him. Laugh out load

A couple years ago I went to see a presentation of Don Giovanni here in Dallas. A class assignment was to attend a musical performance. Unfortunately, the way they produced it was really strange. In crowd scenes the people were dressed in everything from a newsboy's outfit from the Depression era, to modern clothing, to period dress. It was really disconcerting for a first time opera audience member. It was hard to follow what was going on because there were so many distractions. At one point the main characters were dressed like super-heroes. Blink

I spent so much time trying to figure out what was going on with weird costuming that I didn't really enjoy the music or the story. Undecided

I can only tolerate very very few operas. The Wagner stuff puts me right to sleep. Mozart and Fidelio (Bethoven) I can take, and Rossini. My friends like Verdi. Me ... not so much. Sadcryface

Don Giovanni is (supposedly) the first time in western art, that the central character is (and remains) "unredeemed" (and he is led into hell at the end).
So it's a shocker to the audience at the time it was written. I need to get the libretto, (or print it out). But he goes to hell, not for offending a god, but because he is messing around with human relationships ... and that is a signal change in western ideas.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-08-2015, 12:02 PM
Finding a map application on my phone.

Useful

Smile

11-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Holy shit, how do you do this

Almost as crazy as

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 3 users Like ELK12695's post
11-08-2015, 02:50 PM
[Image: 20140325.png]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
11-08-2015, 04:29 PM
There's a show on The Science Channel right now about the Death Valley Race Track. Weird.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
11-08-2015, 05:01 PM
A distant cousin in Germany found my sister on Facebook. This cousin is sending pictures of my grandpa and his family (he was the only one of 11 kids to come to the US) and also information that we didn't know.

Kind of cool to fill in some of the blanks. I have a box of stuff that my dad had that has some of grandpa's immigration paperwork...going to dig that out this weekend and scan some things to share with this newly found relative.

I had heard that grandpa had been engaged but was fuzzy on why he came to the states without this lady. Got to see a picture of her and found out that she didn't want to leave Germany so he left her went ahead with his plans.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
12-08-2015, 05:51 AM
Dispite being skeptical to EP 7, I know the cinema crowd I'll be sitting in will explode when the opening hits

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
12-08-2015, 06:04 AM
I was eating dinner at a "western" resturant in China today. I hadn't used a fork in 2 weeks. That was not the amusing part. The amusing part was watching a 12 YO a few tables down try to eat spaghetti with a fork. I had no idea that a kid who probably can eat well with chopsticks would have so much trouble with a damn fork.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
12-08-2015, 06:11 AM
(12-08-2015 06:04 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I was eating dinner at a "western" resturant in China today. I hadn't used a fork in 2 weeks. That was not the amusing part. The amusing part was watching a 12 YO a few tables down try to eat spaghetti with a fork. I had no idea that a kid who probably can eat well with chopsticks would have so much trouble with a damn fork.

You hold it in a hand and stab the thing you want to eat with it, in this case you may then turn or twist it... Forks are not exactly known for being a puzzling tool of dexterity...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.