Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
12-08-2015, 10:34 PM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(12-08-2015 10:00 PM)pablo Wrote:  I just got a fb page to take down a bullshit story about Mars being super close to Earth later this month. Big Grin I'm sure some of you have seen the story.

There was a story like that?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2015, 10:39 PM
Thank you, Pablo!!!

Gawd, soon enough one of my family would have sent me that claptrap, and I'd have been stuck in the position of the "angry atheist" who Snopes'd their bullshit yet again.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
12-08-2015, 10:44 PM
(12-08-2015 05:40 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 05:25 PM)jennybee Wrote:  So you are coming hiking in DV then? TongueBig Grin

A place named Death Valley doesn't seem like a wise hiking choice to me. No

Where's your stones, damn it?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
12-08-2015, 10:47 PM
(12-08-2015 06:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Hang with me on this one...I must give a little background.

A young woman who grew up with my kids had a little boy about 7 years ago who was born with multiple birth defects. He had a severe cleft palate and suffered Amniotic Band Syndrome that affected all four limbs to different degrees. He has been through a zillion surgeries in his short life. One arm/hand is pretty good. They are working to repair the other hand and both legs end around the knee area.

The other day she posted of a picture of him standing on their porch in a T-shirt and jogging pants. She said he asked her to take a picture of him in pants because his legs are finally long enough. Big Grin His new prosthetic legs have him able to wear pants.

It's been amazing to watch this little fellow. Medical science and the human spirit is amazing. Thumbsup

The will to live is irreplaceable.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-08-2015, 08:32 AM
Finally getting a clear night for a meteor shower. When you live in the land of mostly cloudy, most meteor showers are not visible at all. Last night was amazing. Clear skies, beautiful weather, and a show that only nature could put on. I saw the largest fireball I have ever seen in my life last night. The tail stayed visible for several seconds after it had burned up.

The universe is amazing.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
13-08-2015, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2015 10:24 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(13-08-2015 08:32 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Finally getting a clear night for a meteor shower. When you live in the land of mostly cloudy, most meteor showers are not visible at all. Last night was amazing. Clear skies, beautiful weather, and a show that only nature could put on. I saw the largest fireball I have ever seen in my life last night. The tail stayed visible for several seconds after it had burned up.

The universe is amazing.

My son and I spent his last night here in Texas out in the bed of my pickup, staring up at the skies. Unfortunately, it was mostly cloudy, so we saw little, but we had a great conversation. I'm so proud of my young man. Smile
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-08-2015, 10:18 AM
(13-08-2015 10:06 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 08:32 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Finally getting a clear night for a meteor shower. When you live in the land of mostly cloudy, most meteor showers are not visible at all. Last night was amazing. Clear skies, beautiful weather, and a show that only nature could put on. I saw the largest fireball I have ever seen in my life last night. The tail stayed visible for several seconds after it had burned up.

The universe is amazing.

My son and I spent his last night here in Texas out in the bed of my pickup, staring up at the skies. Unfortunately, is was mostly cloudy, so we saw little, but we had a great conversation. I'm so proud of my young man. Smile

Sounds like a night well spent. Thumbsup

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
13-08-2015, 10:26 AM
It was. It's been a great visit from him, what with roller coasters, learning to drive stick, hiking at work, cooking for someone else ... the fact that the meteors were obscured was almost irrelevant to us, in a great way.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Shot my personal best in our last trap match of the season in the rain at a trap field with a low-contrast, busy background; 24/25.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
13-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Just had the results in from the recent courses from Melbourne (COBIT Implementation) and Perth (COBIT Assessor).

All passed! This is a first for me (and the company) as these are the two toughest course we do.

Well done Aussies.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post