Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
05-12-2015, 02:55 PM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
I've put it off, and put it off. Finally broke down and signed up for Hulu. Why did I deny myself for so long? They've got all the stuff I've always wanted. Drooling

8 hour Sailor Moon marathon? Yeas please!!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
05-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Without a single space heater plugged in, or a propane heater turned on, or a kerosine heater turned on, or any oil lamps lit up,...

My house? Iz WARM!!!! Banana_zorro

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
05-12-2015, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2015 06:41 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(05-12-2015 09:40 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(05-12-2015 09:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Scott Simon on Saturday AM NPR ... had a short piece about "the power of prayer" (or not). In response to recent events and shootings, he quoted a couple politicians saying "keep them in your thoughts and prayers", and THEN (!) quoted a few other politicians who actually said "If you think talking to the voice in your head is going to do anything, you're sadly mistaken ... how about instead actually DO something".

Can't imagine even 10 years ago, that sort of piece would have even been possible.
Banana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorro

The editorial

I had a different take on it. He mentioned that reaction but then went on to defend prayer.

Quote:I think a lot of people who pray don't think of it as a replacement for deeds, or an occasion to utter a gift list of desires. They pray to open their minds and hearts. They pray when words won't come, and emotions overwhelm. They pray to mark a loss, and to try to make a moment of peace in a landscape of turmoil. They don't see prayer as a substitute for action, but the beginning. The merit of prayer is what people do after we say Amen.

I agree that it is good that the anti-religious view was at least mentioned but I disliked what I saw as his attempt to marginalize that view and defend the calls for prayer.

I see that it could be viewed that way, but the fact the opposite point of view was recognized at all was a step forward.
"Opening your mind" may be a "new-age" definition of prayer, but it's not one the fundies criticized would agree with. Simeon may have intended to list the positives, but the ones he came up with are not the ones people like Cruz want to hear. Also the last line damns the prayors. In fact they DO nothing else.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-12-2015, 07:46 PM
The Bail went to a Christmas craft fair and festival today. I think the face painter did a good job with a clever idea.

[img][Image: Bailey%20dinosaur_zpsqupgvdn5.jpg][/img]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 8 users Like Anjele's post
06-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Piriform's Crap Cleaner (free shareware utility).
Cleaned out my desk top and lap top and they work far faster now.
(If you download it, be sure it's from them, other sites offer a link to it, but embed they own junk with with).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-12-2015, 01:44 PM
I found a barbecue place at a truck stop - and it's open on Sundays!!!!

I've never had barbecue on a Sunday!!! Unless it was leftovers.

Barbecue sandwich + grapico = fuck yeah yummy goodness (and it was only $4.35 after taxes)

And since this is an international forum, I'm referring to pulled pork, with pickles, cole slaw, and barbecue sauce on a hamburger bun. And grapico is a cheap grape flavored carbonated beverage

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
06-12-2015, 04:17 PM
I have the next 2 days off...so happy! I get to stay up late and sleep in all I want! xP

Plus, my B-Day is in 6 days!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
07-12-2015, 07:34 AM
Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
Seeing my last girlfriend's posts. More and more religious.

Happy I dodged that bullet.

And I think her parents thought we'd end up happy together and have kids by now. (I'm always the boyfriend who looks great on paper. Smile )
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
07-12-2015, 08:19 AM
(07-12-2015 07:34 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  Seeing my last girlfriend's posts. More and more religious.

And I think her parents thought we'd end up happy together and have kids by now. (I'm always the boyfriend who looks great on paper. Smile )

What kind of paper? Tongue

Bechased

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-12-2015, 12:42 PM
(07-12-2015 08:19 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-12-2015 07:34 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  Seeing my last girlfriend's posts. More and more religious.

What kind of paper? Tongue

Bechased
I'm probably more suited for the ones with front & profile photographs.