Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
19-12-2015, 10:50 PM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(19-12-2015 10:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-12-2015 10:35 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No, the average is around 97% which means some kids will be higher and others lower. It's a bell curve.

Weird isn't it?

So yes, some kids can be over 100 percent and still a very few others will be in negative numbers. I was thrilled when my older son was finally on the chart.

My friend who has a son the same age (her husband was like Lurch), was always around the 130 percent range when he was little. He's very tall today well over 6'5" which blows the bell curve.

I don't know what measure that is, but it is not percentile.

The shape of the distribution is immaterial. Percentile rankings are purely based on what percentage of the measured population is below that you. It cannot be below 0 or above 100.

It is. Sorry to disappoint. I don't know why they do it that way, but they do...

You could google it. Maybe you can figure out why it's that way. Like I said, they calculate the average at like 96%. My older son was negative 5 (I wrote it in his baby book even). Maybe it's just bragging rights for parents Consider

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2015, 10:54 PM
(19-12-2015 10:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-12-2015 10:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't know what measure that is, but it is not percentile.

The shape of the distribution is immaterial. Percentile rankings are purely based on what percentage of the measured population is below that you. It cannot be below 0 or above 100.

It is. Sorry to disappoint. I don't know why they do it that way, but they do...

You could google it. Maybe you can figure out why it's that way. Like I said, they calculate the average at like 96%. My older son was negative 5 (I wrote it in his baby book even). Maybe it's just bragging rights for parents Consider

I'm not arguing about what it is, I am stating what a percentile is.

If someone is calling it 'percentile' they are wrong; they don't know what percentile means.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-12-2015, 11:02 PM
(19-12-2015 10:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-12-2015 10:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It is. Sorry to disappoint. I don't know why they do it that way, but they do...

I'm not arguing about what it is, I am stating what a percentile is.

If someone is calling it 'percentile' they are wrong; they don't know what percentile means.

I don't know Chas. Every doctor/ped I've ever known has used that term.

It's on my sons growth chart from 1998.

20-12-2015, 01:14 AM
(19-12-2015 11:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-12-2015 10:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm not arguing about what it is, I am stating what a percentile is.

I don't know Chas. Every doctor/ped I've ever known has used that term.

noun: percentile; plural noun: percentiles
  • each of the 100 equal groups into which a population can be divided according to the distribution of values of a particular variable.
  • each of the 99 intermediate values of a random variable that divide a frequency distribution into 100 groups.
    "the tenth percentile for weight"
[Image: SaveTime.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
20-12-2015, 01:16 AM
(20-12-2015 01:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-12-2015 11:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't know Chas. Every doctor/ped I've ever known has used that term.

[Image: SaveTime.jpg]

It took you all night to make that, didn't it?

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-12-2015, 01:30 AM
(20-12-2015 01:16 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 01:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  [Image: SaveTime.jpg]

I'm impressed with the use of Christmas colors. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
20-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Christmas is very much on a budget this year but I think it will still be nice.

I used to really put a lot of effort into wrapping gifts and finding nice paper and bows. The last few years I have been more lax though I never resorted to gift bags unless something was nearly impossible to wrap.

I watched a video a couple weeks ago showing how to make really pretty bows. So last night I put my skills to the test. I had found the ribbon needed at a deep discount since it's so close to Christmas so I figured I would give it a try. They really turned out nice.

Even though the gifts aren't extravagant they will look very pretty. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
20-12-2015, 11:00 AM
(20-12-2015 01:16 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 01:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  [Image: SaveTime.jpg]

Who knows why old people do anything.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
20-12-2015, 07:01 PM
(20-12-2015 10:35 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Christmas is very much on a budget this year but I think it will still be nice.

I used to really put a lot of effort into wrapping gifts and finding nice paper and bows. The last few years I have been more lax though I never resorted to gift bags unless something was nearly impossible to wrap.

I watched a video a couple weeks ago showing how to make really pretty bows. So last night I put my skills to the test. I had found the ribbon needed at a deep discount since it's so close to Christmas so I figured I would give it a try. They really turned out nice.

I used to decorate the packages so they'd look pretty under the tree. I honestly gave up when the boys were little. Yes, prettily wrapped pj's are still just pj's.

Can you link to the video? I think with everything a bit subdued it might be a good time to bring back the elegant wrapping and festive bows.

20-12-2015, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2015 07:58 PM by Anjele.)
(20-12-2015 07:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 10:35 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Christmas is very much on a budget this year but I think it will still be nice.

I used to decorate the packages so they'd look pretty under the tree. I honestly gave up when the boys were little. Yes, prettily wrapped pj's are still just pj's.

Can you link to the video? I think with everything a bit subdued it might be a good time to bring back the elegant wrapping and festive bows.

Let me look for it.

Damn it!!!! It was on my facebook feed and I can't find it there or on Youtube.

Anyway, you use the wide wire edged ribbon. You wrap ribbon one length the package, twist it on the underside of the package so that you can cross it and run it around the other direction to the front of the package. Tie it off and leave the ends long enough that you can attach the bow.

Take a length...quite a bit... of the ribbon and fold it over and over again...I used the rest of the 9" rolls. Crease the center of that and make cuts in from the center about a third of the way through the ribbon. Use the loose ends of ribbon that you left on the package and tie the bow securely at the cuts. Then alternate and pull the loops out and make them as full as you want. It is really pretty easy and turns out very pretty. Right now those rolls are pretty cheap as the stores are trying to clear out the supply.

I'll keep looking for the video...

This is basically what I did except that I did not fold the ribbon back and forth but just end over end...your result is the same either way.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post