Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
10-04-2016, 09:21 PM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(10-04-2016 08:46 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Seeing a student improve on this test compared to the last one and knowing it's because they've tried, not just because they guessed well.

Yesss! I taught math and physics for a few years after I was laid off from my engineering job in the early '90s. Nothing like having a student ask a question that shows they actually get it, as opposed to being asked, "Why do we have to know this?", or "How long do I have to remember this?". Dodgy My favorite response to the last was "Forever, or until this class is over, whichever comes first!". Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Fireball's post
10-04-2016, 09:49 PM
(09-04-2016 01:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Ziggy is quite upset with me and is sore from his shots today but...those were his last puppy shots which means in a couple weeks I can start taking him for walks knowing he is protected from nasty canine diseases.

He weighs 8.9 pounds now...up from 4.6 six weeks ago. The vet says he looks good.

He is currently curled up and sleeping in the toy bin, which is a first. Reminds me of the ET scene where they hide him in among the toys and dolls. Smile

Please tell me his surname is 'Stardust'. Big Grin

Or 'Stardog'. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
10-04-2016, 10:06 PM
(10-04-2016 09:21 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Yesss! I taught math and physics for a few years after I was laid off from my engineering job in the early '90s. Nothing like having a student ask a question that shows they actually get it, as opposed to being asked, "Why do we have to know this?", or "How long do I have to remember this?". Dodgy My favorite response to the last was "Forever, or until this class is over, whichever comes first!". Tongue

Stealing that response! Tongue Sorta interesting though, this is actually in the class section where I explained to them that my favorite pedagogical point in grad school was to always ask, while making a lecture WGAD. Who Gives a Damn? If I can't explain why it's there or should be known, it shouldn't be in there. I wonder if that made any impression on the importance of the material or not? Either way I'm with you, there really is nothing like students showing they get it! A few have even scribbled some notes in the margins where they were working out which answer was which.

And in one case, also making me smile, I said "Pikachu" on a multiple choice item to give them one to easily discount in relation to mass incarceration. The person chose the right answer, then drew a pikachu in a prison uniform with a ball and chain! I'm going to copy it before handing the test back.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
10-04-2016, 10:23 PM
(10-04-2016 10:06 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(10-04-2016 09:21 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Yesss! I taught math and physics for a few years after I was laid off from my engineering job in the early '90s. Nothing like having a student ask a question that shows they actually get it, as opposed to being asked, "Why do we have to know this?", or "How long do I have to remember this?". Dodgy My favorite response to the last was "Forever, or until this class is over, whichever comes first!". Tongue

Stealing that response! Tongue Sorta interesting though, this is actually in the class section where I explained to them that my favorite pedagogical point in grad school was to always ask, while making a lecture WGAD. Who Gives a Damn? If I can't explain why it's there or should be known, it shouldn't be in there. I wonder if that made any impression on the importance of the material or not? Either way I'm with you, there really is nothing like students showing they get it! A few have even scribbled some notes in the margins where they were working out which answer was which.

And in one case, also making me smile, I said "Pikachu" on a multiple choice item to give them one to easily discount in relation to mass incarceration. The person chose the right answer, then drew a pikachu in a prison uniform with a ball and chain! I'm going to copy it before handing the test back.

Always bet on Pikachu.

[Image: 3qF8F.jpg]

Always.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
11-04-2016, 09:12 AM
(10-04-2016 10:23 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Always bet on Pikachu.

[Image: 3qF8F.jpg]

Always.

...Today I Learned that the Pokemon League definitely needs to implement drug testing policies.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
11-04-2016, 10:21 AM
At the grocery store a woman shopping with an exhausted, overwrought baby screaming throughout the store. She said in a sing songy, high pitched tone (usually reserved for soothing)

"Why don't you just shut the fuck up."

I giggled.

Pity they don't make ball gags for babies.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-04-2016, 10:25 AM
(11-04-2016 10:21 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  At the grocery store a woman shopping with an exhausted, overwrought baby screaming throughout the store. She said in a sing songy, high pitched tone (usually reserved for soothing)

I giggled.

They do. It's called breastfeeding.
[+] 2 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
11-04-2016, 10:37 AM
(11-04-2016 10:21 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  At the grocery store a woman shopping with an exhausted, overwrought baby screaming throughout the store. She said in a sing songy, high pitched tone (usually reserved for soothing)

I giggled.

Sounds like someone's doctor put them on a diet.
11-04-2016, 10:59 AM

I giggled.

Not safe for work link. Sam Jackson bedtime story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5oM_aLuk0
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
11-04-2016, 11:40 AM

I giggled.

I was in a grocery store awhile back and some kid was screaming at the top of her lungs. Mom could have been deaf, for all the response she showed. I told her, "Socks are on aisle 5". Based on her reaction, she could hear just fine. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post