Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
20-05-2016, 02:19 PM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(20-05-2016 02:17 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 01:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This isn't really a small thing.

My man's had the week off from work. He's kept himself pretty busy (which has been good for me).

for the past three years our son has said he'll clean the garage. On occasion when the planets are aligned just right, he will enter the garage, look around and pick up some crap off the floor and then call it "good enough", which we gather is the rallying cry of his generation.

Today, my man says that he wants to do some things around the house and says maybe we'll go to the dump and toss the old box spring.

An hour later the truck is filled with garbage, with the aforementioned box spring precariously positioned atop the junk and later secured by a tarp and bungee cords.

It took him an hour to do, what the oldest son has taken three years to say he's going to do it.

You should spam your son every day with the "clean the fucking garage" thing. My mother spammed me with "fucking exercise or you'll get diabetes", and it worked.

What worked? You exercised or you got diabetes?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2016, 02:21 PM
(20-05-2016 02:19 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 02:17 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  You should spam your son every day with the "clean the fucking garage" thing. My mother spammed me with "fucking exercise or you'll get diabetes", and it worked.

What worked? You exercised or you got diabetes?

To be FAT ASSES! or not to be FAT ASSES!. That is the question.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
20-05-2016, 02:32 PM
(20-05-2016 02:17 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 01:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This isn't really a small thing.

My man's had the week off from work. He's kept himself pretty busy (which has been good for me).

for the past three years our son has said he'll clean the garage. On occasion when the planets are aligned just right, he will enter the garage, look around and pick up some crap off the floor and then call it "good enough", which we gather is the rallying cry of his generation.

Today, my man says that he wants to do some things around the house and says maybe we'll go to the dump and toss the old box spring.

An hour later the truck is filled with garbage, with the aforementioned box spring precariously positioned atop the junk and later secured by a tarp and bungee cords.

It took him an hour to do, what the oldest son has taken three years to say he's going to do it.

You should spam your son every day with the "clean the fucking garage" thing. My mother spammed me with "fucking exercise or you'll get diabetes", and it worked.

Let me guess, your son claims you have an unnatrual obsession with cleaning?

Why yes he does. It makes me crazy at times. He'll load the dishwasher, maybe wash a pot and think the kitchen is clean.

It's that whole "good enough" thing that makes me insane.

Yes, I've tried to show him, but he just thinks I'm the one with issues. Dodgy

I'm more a 'do it right the first time or don't bother' kind of person.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

20-05-2016, 02:36 PM
(20-05-2016 02:32 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 02:17 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  You should spam your son every day with the "clean the fucking garage" thing. My mother spammed me with "fucking exercise or you'll get diabetes", and it worked.

Let me guess, your son claims you have an unnatrual obsession with cleaning?

Why yes he does. It makes me crazy at times. He'll load the dishwasher, maybe wash a pot and think the kitchen is clean.

I thought so. I can be a complete bitch on the cleaning thing too. But over the last few months I've gotten so tired of fighting over something as simple as fuckin' cleaning. So I clean up after I'm done eating, I clean my room more often, I put my clothes in the washer and I try to stop being a prick. Otherwise, I'm a merch. If you want me to do something big like clearing out an entire garage filled with 30 years of garbage, I demand payment. And I do get paid.

Money might actually motivate your offspring.

20-05-2016, 02:48 PM
(20-05-2016 02:36 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 02:32 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Why yes he does. It makes me crazy at times. He'll load the dishwasher, maybe wash a pot and think the kitchen is clean.

I thought so. I can be a complete bitch on the cleaning thing too. But over the last few months I've gotten so tired of fighting over something as simple as fuckin' cleaning. So I clean up after I'm done eating, I clean my room more often, I put my clothes in the washer and I try to stop being a prick. Otherwise, I'm a merch. If you want me to do something big like clearing out an entire garage filled with 30 years of garbage, I demand payment. And I do get paid.

Believe me, money has been offered.

And 75% of the garage mess, is actually his fault, it's full of crap that should have been put in the garbage to begin with, but didn't fit at the time, so he said, "I'll put it in next time."

And that shit just multipled.

20-05-2016, 02:52 PM
(20-05-2016 02:36 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 02:32 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Why yes he does. It makes me crazy at times. He'll load the dishwasher, maybe wash a pot and think the kitchen is clean.

The flip-side of 'incentives' is 'penalties'.

The social incentive (repeated requests / shaming) hasn't worked. The financial incentive might.

The financial penalty might be higher rent (to cover the cost of out-sourcing)
The social penalty might be ... eviction?

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Son is getting a new roof on his house today. So are many of the neighbors. At least it isn't raining...for a change.

Still waiting for windows...house currently looks like we are either moving out or moving in. Hoping all these repairs are done by my birthday but that's only 5 weeks away so I am pretty sure that's not going to be the case.

Baby steps.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-05-2016, 03:18 PM
(20-05-2016 02:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 02:36 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  I thought so. I can be a complete bitch on the cleaning thing too. But over the last few months I've gotten so tired of fighting over something as simple as fuckin' cleaning. So I clean up after I'm done eating, I clean my room more often, I put my clothes in the washer and I try to stop being a prick. Otherwise, I'm a merch. If you want me to do something big like clearing out an entire garage filled with 30 years of garbage, I demand payment. And I do get paid.

The flip-side of 'incentives' is 'penalties'.

The social incentive (repeated requests / shaming) hasn't worked. The financial incentive might.

The financial penalty might be higher rent (to cover the cost of out-sourcing)
The social penalty might be ... eviction?

Consider

I call that fear tactics, used since kids are toddlers. "I'll take your PS4 away!", "We're not going to Disneyland!". Same shit but bigger consequences as you get older.

The eviction part is the final stage. I would never have the heart to do it.

If my parents kicked me out, and I somehow found a way to stay afloat, I'd never come back. But that will never happen since I'm crucial to the daily operations of the farm. And driving tractors is fun.

20-05-2016, 03:30 PM
(20-05-2016 02:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 02:36 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  I thought so. I can be a complete bitch on the cleaning thing too. But over the last few months I've gotten so tired of fighting over something as simple as fuckin' cleaning. So I clean up after I'm done eating, I clean my room more often, I put my clothes in the washer and I try to stop being a prick. Otherwise, I'm a merch. If you want me to do something big like clearing out an entire garage filled with 30 years of garbage, I demand payment. And I do get paid.

Believe me, money has been offered.

And 75% of the garage mess, is actually his fault, it's full of crap that should have been put in the garbage to begin with, but didn't fit at the time, so he said, "I'll put it in next time."

Well, then it's reached that point where you say the truth. That he's lazy as fuck and that cleaning that garage takes but 6 hours of his entire life to do. At that moment your son will do either of these three things: He'll admit he's lazy and that he's sorry for being lazy. The second is that he's too proud to admit that he's lazy, and will try to put the blame on you or someone else, maybe try to lead the discussion to a completely irrelevant topic. Finally, there's the possiblity that he really doesn't give a shit, that he doesn't believe that he's lazy, that you are crazy and that's it's "just some mess, who cares?". Neither of these options will end up getting your gararge cleared out, but atleast you'll know where he stands.

I'm not trying to teach you how to be a mom to a teenager or whatever age he is, but I've said all of these three things at some point when I was faced with the question of lazyness. However, only the first option is the right thing to say; to admit one is a lazy bastard and that you need to get your shit together if something tragic somehow happens to the people who keep you fed.

[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
20-05-2016, 04:04 PM
(20-05-2016 03:30 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 02:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Believe me, money has been offered.

Well, then it's reached that point where you say the truth. That he's lazy as fuck and that cleaning that garage takes but 6 hours of his entire life to do. At that moment your son will do either of these three things: He'll admit he's lazy and that he's sorry for being lazy. The second is that he's too proud to admit that he's lazy, and will try to put the blame on you or someone else, maybe try to lead the discussion to a completely irrelevant topic. Finally, there's the possiblity that he really doesn't give a shit, that he doesn't believe that he's lazy, that you are crazy and that's it's "just some mess, who cares?". Neither of these options will end up getting your gararge cleared out, but atleast you'll know where he stands.

I'm not trying to teach you how to be a mom to a teenager or whatever age he is, but I've said all of these three things at some point when I was faced with the question of lazyness. However, only the first option is the right thing to say; to admit one is a lazy bastard and that you need to get your shit together if something tragic somehow happens to the people who keep you fed.

I love you!!!!

Heart

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post