Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
22-05-2016, 05:56 PM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Sticking my head out my window, waiting for summer's first bolt of lightning, ever watchful.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Nothing better than a gin and tonic. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-05-2016, 08:37 PM
(22-05-2016 05:24 PM)skyking Wrote:  chickadees are nesting in a box on the front porch. They just hatched, and if you sit by the open window and listen carefully, you can hear the young ones raise a ruckus when mom and dad bring back bugs. <peep peep peep>.

Cool. I wanted to get a cage full of waxbills, but my wife complains about how messy little birds are. Now, I think I'll build an estate cum apartment complex for a tribe of California finches or whatever will inhabit them. Of course, I'll have to build it so that those never-to-be-sufficiently-damned fluffy-tailed rats can't get at them.
23-05-2016, 07:12 AM
(22-05-2016 05:24 PM)skyking Wrote:  chickadees are nesting in a box on the front porch. They just hatched, and if you sit by the open window and listen carefully, you can hear the young ones raise a ruckus when mom and dad bring back bugs. <peep peep peep>.

Do you handle the young? They are so soft. Birds have a rather bad sense of smell, so the whole abandoning the nest is an old wives tale. We handled the young last year and they came back this year and all 4 built nests. They won't actually land on us, but we can get within inches of them. They only recognize my wife and I. They fly away if anyone else approaches.
23-05-2016, 07:14 AM
(22-05-2016 06:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Nothing better than a gin and tonic. Smile

Two gin and tonics? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-05-2016, 07:30 AM
(23-05-2016 07:12 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  

Do you handle the young? They are so soft. Birds have a rather bad sense of smell, so the whole abandoning the nest is an old wives tale. We handled the young last year and they came back this year and all 4 built nests. They won't actually land on us, but we can get within inches of them. They only recognize my wife and I. They fly away if anyone else approaches.
No, I won't disturb them. The cedar box is nailed together which is a good thing. We have wood rats that prey on baby birds, and the hole is too small for them to enter. Just barely chickadee sized.
I have another nest platform in the carport. I need to sit out there a while and see if it is occupied. That one I can put a wireless cam on.
23-05-2016, 08:31 AM
(22-05-2016 06:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Nothing better than a gin and tonic. Smile

Except a Stolychnaya and tonic..

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-05-2016, 09:25 AM
(23-05-2016 07:30 AM)skyking Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 07:12 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Do you handle the young? They are so soft. Birds have a rather bad sense of smell, so the whole abandoning the nest is an old wives tale. We handled the young last year and they came back this year and all 4 built nests. They won't actually land on us, but we can get within inches of them. They only recognize my wife and I. They fly away if anyone else approaches.
No, I won't disturb them. The cedar box is nailed together which is a good thing. We have wood rats that prey on baby birds, and the hole is too small for them to enter. Just barely chickadee sized.
I have another nest platform in the carport. I need to sit out there a while and see if it is occupied. That one I can put a wireless cam on.

Oh well. I am very in to birds. I have a macaw myself. I like it when wild birds stick around. I am amazed that the babies came back to our deck and built nests. They also don't mind when we look in to see what is going on. They also come out in the morning and sit by our bedroom window and taunt our cat. He is strictly indoor unless we put him on a leash and bring him outside.
23-05-2016, 08:34 PM
The clouds look super pretty. They just made me smile.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-05-2016, 03:56 AM
The sunrise.

☆☆☆
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post