Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
10-06-2016, 02:07 PM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
Just moments ago I was working at the table and I heard a muffled thump at the front windows. Out on the glass table is a quivering hummingbird, wings out and looking like he was having a seizure. I figured it was a goner, but went out and carefully picked it up. the wings folded up naturally and eyes were randomly blinking a bit. I cradled it loosely in my hand to keep it warm. I could feel the rapid respiration.
While I sat there another hummer came and sat on the porch rail. Maybe he was looking for Dudley? I don't know.
After about 4 minutes it just popped up into a hover right in front of me, hovered around some, and then another hummer came by and the chase was on again.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like skyking's post
10-06-2016, 02:19 PM
One of my friends said she married the love of her life.

They met first in jr high, then after many years apart, failed marriages, kids, etc...they reconnected some 30 years later.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-06-2016, 06:29 AM
Some couple in the bulletin this morning at Mass is celebrating their 70th Anniversary.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-06-2016, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2016 02:36 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(29-05-2016 06:40 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I spent all of Mass this morning trying not to laugh. Someone crowned the Mary statue with flowers for May...the flower crown drooped and it seriously looked like she was wearing some form of floral Dovahkin helmet from Skyrim.

I thought that ended in May ?
I got a call yesterday from the RC parish in Rancho, asking if I could sub (as organist) for today. I said OK. Afterwards the Rev and the chairman of the parish council came up and said "We'd like you to be a regular musician here, no one can make this sound like you do .. think about it". Facepalm

But what I really was gonna say was, ..... there is this old clunky search system that was built for our hospital medical coding system. (They have a new one now, but IT jealously guards access to it .. so if you have a question about trends or cases, basically you have to go to IT, and WAIT .. and wait. Weeping It's fucked). So ... the old system still works, and I actually figured out how to use it under the old coding system, (ICD-9). That's all changed to ICD-10 now ... all different codes. During the transition I asked about them converting our ICD-9 searches in the old system to work the same, just with ICD-10. they said "no". Have IT make you new ones. Crap. So I asked for an on-line meeting with the analyst who was basically in charge of the old system. I asked her to let me see the programming language, so I could get an idea what it was doing .. it's pretty simple. For the brief minute she had it up on her screen, I "snipped" it, (made a Snip file), so I could change the code to search for ICD-10 codes. Heh heh. It worked. So last week one of the young genius neuro docs came in and said he had heard I was good with finding things, and could I find him all the certain kinds of retinal artery occlusions for the last year that had hyperbaric oxygen, (in the hyperbaric chamber). So I used my "stolen code" and had his cases in about an hour. I mentioned to him the revenue codes looked fishy, and many were blank, (in terms of who actually had been assigned as the "producer" of these cases' revenue stream, and looked like they had never been assigned to a cost center. Meanwhile he had been talking to the big-shot admin who is over Neuro/Neurosurg and she also called me about it, as he told her what I said. (I really don't work for them, I work for Cardiology). So I ran her numbers too. All this happened Friday afternoon, and I left early. Today I see there's about 10 voice mails on my phone ... saying "OMG, OMG ... bla bla bla, this is huge". So ... I hear today this "missing" revenue (in terms of attribution, ....... it's not really missing, just not "assigned" to a cost center) amounts to several seven figures for that department, the length of stays of these patients is also pretty short, so when all their numbers get recomputed as they now will have to be, their department budget and outcomes will will look somewhat better, and maybe significantly better. I guess the lesson is, thievery pays. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-06-2016, 12:34 PM
(12-06-2016 12:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I got a call yesterday from the RC parish in Rancho, asking if I could sub (as organist) for today. I said OK. Afterwards the Rrev and the chairman of the parish council came up and said "We'd like you to be a regular musician here, no one can make this sound like you do .. think about it". Facepalm

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
12-06-2016, 12:35 PM
(12-06-2016 12:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-05-2016 06:40 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I spent all of Mass this morning trying not to laugh. Someone crowned the Mary statue with flowers for May...the flower crown drooped and it seriously looked like she was wearing some form of floral Dovahkin helmet from Skyrim.

I got a call yesterday from the RC parish in Rancho, asking if I could sub (as organist) for today. I said OK. Afterwards the Rrev and the chairman of the parish council came up and said "We'd like you to be a regular musician here, no one can make this sound like you do .. think about it". Facepalm

You must play the organ real good. Angel

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
12-06-2016, 12:39 PM

I got a call yesterday from the RC parish in Rancho, asking if I could sub (as organist) for today. I said OK. Afterwards the Rev and the chairman of the parish council came up and said "We'd like you to be a regular musician here, no one can make this sound like you do .. think about it". Facepalm

It was the super tail end of May. Smile And laughed so hard at the offer. It does say great things about your skills with an organ though.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-06-2016, 06:38 AM

That would be when I would have asked if it was a paid gig. If so, I would have either have turned it down or taken it depending on how much pay.
13-06-2016, 08:19 AM
(13-06-2016 06:38 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 12:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I thought that ended in May ?

That would be when I would have asked if it was a paid gig. If so, I would have either have turned it down or taken it depending on how much pay.

It's union scale (or American Guild of Organists guidelines) ... which (to me) is a lot of money for doing something I like anyway. Smile

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-06-2016, 08:23 AM
(13-06-2016 08:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 06:38 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  That would be when I would have asked if it was a paid gig. If so, I would have either have turned it down or taken it depending on how much pay.

It's union scale (or American Guild of Organists guidelines) ... which (to me) is a lot of money for doing something I like anyway. Smile

My question would be "is it enough to go to part time hours and still live comfortably?". That would be the only thing that could get me into church every sunday. If it were my job and I only had to work one partial day a week and Sunday was it, I would do it. If I had to still work all the time like I do now, then the answer would be no.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post