Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
06-07-2016, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2016 07:09 AM by Mr. Boston.)
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
Here's a (somewhat) small thing that makes me smile; my 5-year-old son Benjamin at a 4th of July cookout. My sister-in-law and I were doing face painting for the kids. My niece and nephew wanted to be transformers, another girl wanted a Tinkerbell fairy on one cheek and a rainbow on the other...

My son wanted to be David Bowie.
[Image: Ben%20as%20Bowie.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Mr. Boston's post
06-07-2016, 11:06 AM
(06-07-2016 02:34 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 02:22 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Grubhub is a must have, it's a delivery service that hires everyday people like Uber to pick up and deliver you food from restaurants in the area. I could have Applebees dinner delivered or some yummy BBQ or Chinese. Like ordering a pizza but much more choices.

That's kinda cool. Now if only I could find a bar that delivered. I'm waiting for a margarita truck to come rolling down the street. That way I can run outside like a little kid looking for ice cream.

There's a drive-thru place here called Eskimo Hut that sells mixed drinks. They give it to you in a lidded cup which apparently circumvents "open container" laws. Laugh out load

Texxaaaasssss Hobo

[+] 3 users Like Escape Artist's post
06-07-2016, 02:16 PM
(06-07-2016 10:29 AM)Aliza Wrote:  This guy!

[Image: 20160706_121748_zpsgaike7um.jpg]

Oh gorgeous African Grey!!

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
06-07-2016, 02:49 PM
(06-07-2016 02:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 10:29 AM)Aliza Wrote:  This guy!

[Image: 20160706_121748_zpsgaike7um.jpg]

Oh gorgeous African Grey!!

He's my sweet boy! And apparently when I was out of the house today, he was calling family members' names using my voice.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
06-07-2016, 03:20 PM
(06-07-2016 02:49 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 02:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Oh gorgeous African Grey!!

He's my sweet boy! And apparently when I was out of the house today, he was calling family members' names using my voice.

Ours almost always speaks in my voice. I read somewhere that they tend to pick up on female voices or young voices.

I have to say it stings a little when Chewy decides to call for Chopper when I open the door. It happens less and less. For some reason she has never called for Lady or Karma. Consider You would think she would since we have had Lady for about nine years. I guess he liked the way Chopper sounds...she even shortens it to Chop.

Does yours practice saying things before he comes out with it? Chewch will sit and mutter under her breath until she is happy with how a new word or sentence sounds and then will say it out loud. It's pretty funny.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
06-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Kinda jealous of both of you right now over them. But that's so funny with using your voices (and the muttering in Angele's bird's case). Tongue Just hope they're not as protective of you two as my friend N.'s was of her; he would bite at any male who came within about 3 feet of her. Her fiancee was less than amused.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
06-07-2016, 06:45 PM
(06-07-2016 03:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 02:49 PM)Aliza Wrote:  He's my sweet boy! And apparently when I was out of the house today, he was calling family members' names using my voice.

Ours almost always speaks in my voice. I read somewhere that they tend to pick up on female voices or young voices.

I have to say it stings a little when Chewy decides to call for Chopper when I open the door. It happens less and less. For some reason she has never called for Lady or Karma. Consider You would think she would since we have had Lady for about nine years. I guess he liked the way Chopper sounds...she even shortens it to Chop.

Does yours practice saying things before he comes out with it? Chewch will sit and mutter under her breath until she is happy with how a new word or sentence sounds and then will say it out loud. It's pretty funny.

It must be tough to hear that reminder all the time. Sad

Grayson practices words in privacy. They are practiced in a quieter tone, but the thing that seems most important to him is that he’s alone so no one can hear his mess ups. Unfortunately for him, he doesn’t seem to realize that we can still hear him even though we’re out of sight.

He can’t say the “s” sound, so he makes up new words that omit the “s”. Grayson calls himself Graybie. When he wants a scratch, he makes this odd sound that kind of sounds like the failed efforts to pronounce that “s”. Like, “gggrrrah!” I hear him practicing the sound, and I see his throat move when he’s trying to follow along to song lyrics with “s” sounds. He just can’t quite figure it out.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
06-07-2016, 06:49 PM
My wife started watching this movie called Honey, and I made some sarcastic comments since it's a dance movie. Then I saw Jessica Alba in it. Holy moly.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
06-07-2016, 06:57 PM
(06-07-2016 06:45 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 03:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Ours almost always speaks in my voice. I read somewhere that they tend to pick up on female voices or young voices.

It must be tough to hear that reminder all the time. Sad

Grayson practices words in privacy. They are practiced in a quieter tone, but the thing that seems most important to him is that he’s alone so no one can hear his mess ups. Unfortunately for him, he doesn’t seem to realize that we can still hear him even though we’re out of sight.

He can’t say the “s” sound, so he makes up new words that omit the “s”. Grayson calls himself Graybie. When he wants a scratch, he makes this odd sound that kind of sounds like the failed efforts to pronounce that “s”. Like, “gggrrrah!” I hear him practicing the sound, and I see his throat move when he’s trying to follow along to song lyrics with “s” sounds. He just can’t quite figure it out.

Chewch only practices when she thinks we aren't paying attention. Shortly after we got her I set a recorder on the stairs next to her cage and caught her practicing and then laughing to herself.

She can say 's'...she will say - Tickle Chewy's belly.

One of her favorite things to have as a treat is French fries. Many years ago my kids had friends over and I was making burgers and fries and feeding people as batches of fries got done. Kid after kid walked by with plates of food. I was busy but heard her saying. "Chewy want some." She kept asking and finally nearly yelled - CHEWY WANTS SOME!!!!!! One of the boys looked at me with his eyes as big as saucers and said...what does she want? I said she wanted French fries but I would give her some when I was done cooking. He almost looked scared and said he would give her some French fries. Once she had a few fries in her bowl she was happy. Smile

She's not a bird that likes to be handled but she sure is funny sometimes.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
06-07-2016, 07:05 PM
(06-07-2016 06:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 06:45 PM)Aliza Wrote:  It must be tough to hear that reminder all the time. Sad

Chewch only practices when she thinks we aren't paying attention. Shortly after we got her I set a recorder on the stairs next to her cage and caught her practicing and then laughing to herself.

She can say 's'...she will say - Tickle Chewy's belly.

One of her favorite things to have as a treat is French fries. Many years ago my kids had friends over and I was making burgers and fries and feeding people as batches of fries got done. Kid after kid walked by with plates of food. I was busy but heard her saying. "Chewy want some." She kept asking and finally nearly yelled - CHEWY WANTS SOME!!!!!! One of the boys looked at me with his eyes as big as saucers and said...what does she want? I said she wanted French fries but I would give her some when I was done cooking. He almost looked scared and said he would give her some French fries. Once she had a few fries in her bowl she was happy. Smile

She's not a bird that likes to be handled but she sure is funny sometimes.

"CHEWY WANTS SOME!!!!!!" Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load I love birds!

When Grayson wants something, he says "I love you!" It was a little training error on my part. I rewarded his learning a new phrase with a treat, so now he repeats, "I love you!" and spins in circles to trigger a reward.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post