Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
29-08-2016, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2016 08:13 PM by Escape Artist.)
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(28-08-2016 09:50 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(28-08-2016 08:24 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I think maybe I found a way to help make peace with my younger self. Shy

I've performed a lot of less-than-perfect acts that I'm still working through forgiving myself for, as well. Forgiving myself for them is really tough, based on the belief that some "perfect" being was looking over my shoulder, judging, and I felt that I should be "perfect", whatever that means. A lot of it is like, as a child, my mother telling me about nuns making confession, and the priests likening it to "being stoned with popcorn". All this, even though I haven't believed in a deity for decades. Such is the depth of the programming. Dodgy

You don't have to share the "sins" if you don't want to, but it would possibly be informative to know that process.

Basically I have a good deal of anger toward my younger self (which I guess is a silly way of saying I am angry about decisions I made when I was younger and who I was when I was younger) - the Escape Artist who believed in god and bought into all of it. I feel like I should have figured things out sooner.

And I also have some anger about getting with my ex when I was a teenager, but mostly I'm dealing with anger toward christians and christianity in general. So I got to listening to some old christian music I used to listen to and I didn't feel too bad about it (it didn't make me feel bad or awkward or angry like church hymns can do at times). Music can take you back to how you felt when you first listened to it and it was that way with this. I think, from time to time, I need to return to that person I was when I was a christian and remember that I was sincere and not a horrible person. So maybe this will help my anger toward christians now, and.... good god this has made no fucking sense. My thoughts were clearer on this yesterday and I have had one interruption after another tonight. Facepalm

Fuck it, we'll do it live!! Hobo I'm posting it as-is!! Hobo

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Escape Artist's post
29-08-2016, 07:51 PM
(29-08-2016 06:48 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(28-08-2016 09:50 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I've performed a lot of less-than-perfect acts that I'm still working through forgiving myself for, as well. Forgiving myself for them is really tough, based on the belief that some "perfect" being was looking over my shoulder, judging, and I felt that I should be "perfect", whatever that means. A lot of it is like, as a child, my mother telling me about nuns making confession, and the priests likening it to "being stoned with popcorn". All this, even though I haven't believed in a deity for decades. Such is the depth of the programming. Dodgy

You don't have to share the "sins" if you don't want to, but it would possibly be informative to know that process.

Basically I have a good deal of anger toward my younger self (which I guess is a silly way of saying I am angry about decisions I made when I was younger and who I was when I was younger) - the Escape Artist who believed in god and bought into all of it. I feel like I should have figured things out sooner.

And I also have some anger about getting with my ex when I was a teenager, but mostly I'm dealing with anger toward christians and christianity in general. So I got to listening to some old christian music I used to listen to and I didn't feel too bad about it (it didn't make me feel bad or awkward or angry like church hymns can do at times). Music can take you back to how you felt when you first listened to it and it was that way with this. I think, from time to time, I need to return to that person I was when I was a christian and remember that I was sincere and not a horrible person. So maybe this will help my anger toward christians now, and.... good god this has made no fucking sense. My thoughts were clearer on this yesterday and I have had one interruption after another tonight. Facepalm

Fuck it, we'll do it live!! Hobo I'm posting it as-is!! Hobo

Gasp Don't tell me anything! <plugs ears, la la la la la I can't hear you!>

Hug Getting past that "sin" crap is tough, I will admit. I'm thinking that there are ways of getting rid of the anger of betrayal without taking it out on people who may have had nothing to do with beyond sharing what was once your belief. I still have trouble with that, myself.
29-08-2016, 09:16 PM
(29-08-2016 06:01 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 05:51 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Thanks! My old gaming group where I was the token non-Mormon probably left the wrong impression with their "you don't mind if we whine about the church before we start" stuff. That's where most of those questions came from, only 3-4 were from actually reading. (Now...I'm just going to hunker down before someone comes to unleash a similar list on my beliefs... Tongue )

You're not here to proselytize. If anyone feels inclined to attack your beliefs unprovoked, then they probably have "personality issues" to work through. I don't care if we're on their turf. It's just dispespectful.

I'll defend you, Shai!

Thanks, though doubt anyone will do it in a humorous thread! Smile Now if I walk over into the Atheism vs. Theism type sections, tip toe in and go "JESUS IS LORD" and ignore everyone else's points, feel free to join in on the rightful dogpiling of me!

(29-08-2016 06:24 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 05:51 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Thanks! My old gaming group where I was the token non-Mormon probably left the wrong impression with their "you don't mind if we whine about the church before we start" stuff. That's where most of those questions came from, only 3-4 were from actually reading. (Now...I'm just going to hunker down before someone comes to unleash a similar list on my beliefs... Tongue )

*scuffles around to compile a list for Shai* Tongue
Sure man, we can compare lists and see whose is longer. Tongue

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
29-08-2016, 09:21 PM
(29-08-2016 09:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Thanks, though doubt anyone will do it in a humorous thread! Smile

Only reason I'm here.

(29-08-2016 09:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Now if I walk over into the Atheism vs. Theism type sections, tip toe in and go "JESUS IS LORD" and ignore everyone else's points, feel free to join in on the rightful dogpiling of me!

Well now you've just ruined it.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-08-2016, 09:23 PM
(29-08-2016 09:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 06:24 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  *scuffles around to compile a list for Shai* Tongue
Sure man, we can compare lists and see whose is longer. Tongue

It's not the size, it's how you use it Weeping

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
29-08-2016, 09:27 PM
(29-08-2016 09:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Now if I walk over into the Atheism vs. Theism type sections, tip toe in and go "JESUS IS LORD" and ignore everyone else's points, feel free to join in on the rightful dogpiling of me!

Rest assured, if you pulled a drive-by like that, I'd be at the top of the dog pile, biting and snarling.
29-08-2016, 09:29 PM
(29-08-2016 09:23 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 09:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Sure man, we can compare lists and see whose is longer. Tongue

It's not the size, it's how you use it Weeping

It's both, but let's cut the crap. Size is really important.

.... wait, what are we talking about again?
29-08-2016, 09:34 PM
(29-08-2016 09:29 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 09:23 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  It's not the size, it's how you use it Weeping

It's both, but let's cut the crap. Size is really important.

Lists, oh man when they are written in cursive Drooling

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
30-08-2016, 12:08 AM
(29-08-2016 09:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 09:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Thanks, though doubt anyone will do it in a humorous thread! Smile

Only reason I'm here.

Well now you've just ruined it.
Sorry Girly, I have been accused of ruining many things before...seems I'm still ruining them.

(29-08-2016 09:34 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 09:29 PM)Aliza Wrote:  It's both, but let's cut the crap. Size is really important.

Lists, oh man when they are written in cursive Drooling

We like big lists and we cannot lie? (I am so glad you both jumped on that opening...once I realized it was there, couldn't wait to see if someone went for it.)

(29-08-2016 09:27 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

Rest assured, if you pulled a drive-by like that, I'd be at the top of the dog pile, biting and snarling.

That would have been fair lol. The closest I've come to a drive by is just replying to what was asked in there. And even then adding the caveat that agreement isn't exactly expected.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2016, 02:00 AM
Listening to radio and chap talking about tourist potential of Columbia if the truce holds.

He described walking along the bank of a stream with a white marble bed whilst being dive-bombed by humming birds out of the canopy.

Magic! Smile

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.