Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
30-08-2016, 11:40 AM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
As part of a beach monitoring team for sea-turtle nests my lovely wife or one her group walk the beach during nesting season everyday. We are now into the hatching period. Any evidence of a nest hatching is followed up two days later by digging up the nest and counting eggs and passing this information onto the Florida Wildlife Commission.

Sometimes sea-turtles will make a false crawl, that is come ashore and for whatever the reason head back out without laying any eggs. This morning I accompanied my wife to dig what we thought was a false crawl to make sure it wasn’t an actual nest and voila! We found that 105 eggs had hatched and the baby sea turtles had made it out! Only 7 eggs were either unfertilized or unhatched and the best part was that we didn’t find any dead babies.

Museum mock-up of a nest.

[Image: 56249c704b29accc08bf5c0546f82c54.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
30-08-2016, 11:43 AM
(30-08-2016 11:40 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  As part of a beach monitoring team for sea-turtle nests my lovely wife or one her group walk the beach during nesting season everyday. We are now into the hatching period. Any evidence of a nest hatching is followed up two days later by digging up the nest and counting eggs and passing this information onto the Florida Wildlife Commission.

Sometimes sea-turtles will make a false crawl, that is come ashore and for whatever the reason head back out without laying any eggs. This morning I accompanied my wife to dig what we thought was a false crawl to make sure it wasn’t an actual nest and voila! We found that 105 eggs had hatched and the baby sea turtles had made it out! Only 7 eggs were either unfertilized or unhatched and the best part was that we didn’t find any dead babies.

Very cool. I follow a page from the Outer Banks and often get to see updates on the sea turtle hatchings there. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
30-08-2016, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2016 11:52 AM by Full Circle.)
(30-08-2016 11:43 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(30-08-2016 11:40 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  As part of a beach monitoring team for sea-turtle nests my lovely wife or one her group walk the beach during nesting season everyday. We are now into the hatching period. Any evidence of a nest hatching is followed up two days later by digging up the nest and counting eggs and passing this information onto the Florida Wildlife Commission.

Very cool. I follow a page from the Outer Banks and often get to see updates on the sea turtle hatchings there. Thumbsup

This will be a record breaking year for our beach and the Keys. This makes sense because it takes a sea turtle 20-25 years to mature and it was in 1978 that they were place on the endangered list, we are just now begining to see the fruits of that legislation.

http://www.conserveturtles.org/seaturtle...loggerhead

The loggerhead turtle was first listed under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) as threatened throughout its range on July 28, 1978.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/turt...rhead.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
30-08-2016, 09:49 PM
Very cool Smile
31-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Convocation was so long and boring...and it ran late. So late that the Chancellor stepped up to start her long speech for the next to last thing on the agenda, and the lawnscaping folks started mowing directly out the window (and down one floor), because they'd been told to wait until the time Convo was scheduled to be over. Watching her open her mouth to speak and then hearing a lawnmower noise made the room erupt with laughter, her included.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2016, 12:34 PM
My tubal went well today. Home resting now. Slept earlier and probably will go to sleep again here soon.

Just having a little soreness at this point but I went ahead and took some of the painkillers they gave me so I can keep ahead of any pain. I told one of the nurses that "Modern medicine is great". They were all so awesome. All the staff, I mean. Doctor was real nice and everyone else who helped me was also very sweet and caring. Good experience, for sure.

And yay it was free and yay no moar babies! Big Grin

[+] 8 users Like Escape Artist's post
31-08-2016, 01:18 PM
Submitted the manuscript that I've been working on all summer! Big Grin Fingers crossed for a revise and resubmit soon.

[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
31-08-2016, 01:23 PM
(31-08-2016 11:41 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Convocation was so long and boring...and it ran late.

I like to go when the entire litany is in Latin. Same reason I like the opera. I have no fucking idea what they are saying and I enjoy that.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-08-2016, 01:31 PM
(31-08-2016 01:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-08-2016 11:41 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Convocation was so long and boring...and it ran late.

I like to go when the entire litany is in Latin. Same reason I like the opera. I have no fucking idea what they are saying and I enjoy that.

If our Chancellor could do the whole thing in Latin, it probably would sound a thousand times cooler, even if less understandable!

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
31-08-2016, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2016 03:08 PM by Gloucester.)
I always smile when I think of the way Latin was spoken in its time. When "Veni, vidi, vici" sounded more like "Waynee, weedee, weekee"

As spoken by Yooleeoos Kar-ay-sarr of course.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post