Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
19-11-2016, 08:35 AM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
On my way out to the seagrass beds with a boat full of eager interns to look for cryptic and unusual fish species. Banana_zorro

Will let you know if we find any. (waves goodbye)

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2016, 12:01 PM
One of the reasons I hate this conference usually, is due to it being full of academics who one up each other all the time. The other main conference in my field has more practitioners and there's more camaraderie. But today restored my faith in this conference some. My panel had myself, two folks from another university, a Chair from another, and then 3 undergrads who were there to present a project they worked on for a research methods class. (It was amazing btw, I genuinely want to read it if they and their prof can get published, it was about incivility in internet news comment sections and a detailed content analysis of trolling behaviors and classification of 8 troll archetypes.) I've been in their shoes before, nervous, without a degree, presenting at a national conference. And my first time, I got savaged by an asshole in the audience with a PhD, and no one spoke up, I was left to fend for myself.

When we were all done it was Q&A time, and an asshole in the audience begins to just rip them apart. I step in politely, asking them if they mind if I help field a question, based on what they had been saying, one of the girls just nods really quick. He tries to get them again, another pair of presenters move in to help with that question. Eventually during the third question, Panel Chair tells the guy to stop being an asshole. In those words. It made me smile so much to see that when these kids were facing what left such a bad taste in my mouth my first time at conference, every PhD on the panel (minus the asshole) moved in to help them out.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
21-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Tarot readers in front of the cathedral the other day at Mass in the French Quarter. Laughed so hard as the cries of "GET YOUR READING" and such, arose, as the crowd left the building.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Got my Cialas script! Things are going to start happening for me now.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-11-2016, 01:21 PM
My husband sent me a text saying he got two turkeys from work today...what did I want him to do with them?

Since I already have a turkey thawing in the fridge we really don't need two more. So I checked online...there's a charity/food bank about a mile from our house who have a number to call if you can't get there during regular hours. I called and asked if they had someone who would like a turkey for the holiday and the man said he sure did. We will drop them off later.

It's a Christian charity but at least a couple families will have a nicer meal than they expected and that's what matters. Yes

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
22-11-2016, 01:24 PM
(22-11-2016 01:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Got my Cialas script! Things are going to start happening for me now.

Little did he know it was only 4 pills. Only 4 pills!
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
22-11-2016, 01:26 PM
(22-11-2016 01:24 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(22-11-2016 01:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Got my Cialas script! Things are going to start happening for me now.

Little did he know it was only 4 pills. Only 4 pills!

And what if I need 2? Makes Girly wanna choke a bitch.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-11-2016, 06:27 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/womens-hea...-s-n687866
Abortions at a low. Credit birth control. Fucking Roman Catholic Church . Tongue
Jebus no likey that shit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-11-2016, 07:02 PM
I don't have to vacuum.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-11-2016, 08:40 PM
The duolingo.com Swahili course is almost ready to go into beta.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post