Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
06-02-2017, 07:03 AM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(05-02-2017 10:16 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 06:56 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  So, you're telling us she can read? I don't know. Going to have to fact check that one and get back to you.Drinking Beverage

The last time I picked up an issue of Vogue, it was mostly pictures. Little reading required or expected.

So, she comprehends the idea of pictures? I guess that is somewhat of an upside anyway.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2017, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2017 11:08 PM by Kernel Sohcahtoa.)
Today at work, I was just going about my business on the sales floor like any other day. However, I heard a gentleman at the register who seemed to be upset and was getting louder. Naturally, I went over to the register and observed the interaction to ensure that things did not get out of hand.

Apparently, the gentleman had grabbed a shirt from a rack (the shirt that the rack was on did not have a sale sign on it) that was right next to a rack that had a sale sign on it. Now, when the sales associate tried to explain that the shirt was not on sale, the gentleman raised his voice at the sales associate and continued to vent his frustration and anger. However, during this entire time, the sales associate stayed calm and collected and respected the gentleman's decision to react to this particular problem in his own way. Finally, the gentleman asked the associate if the sign was a bit misleading. After a brief pause, the associate took the gentleman's pov into account and genuinely agreed that it was. Now, the manner in which the associate said this along with his calm demeanor, caused something very beautiful to happen: the gentleman started to calm down and apologized to the associate for yelling at him. As a result, the associate finished the transaction and treated the gentleman with genuine respect and kindness.

Afterwards, I went up to the associate and congratulated him on how well he handled that particular situation. In addition, I also acknowledged his talent with people and his conflict resolution skill, which resulted in him telling me that my acknowledgement meant a lot to him. Hence, seeing him in action and watching a wonderful display of peacemaking on his part, brought a smile to my face today.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 4 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
08-02-2017, 12:50 AM
(07-02-2017 11:01 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  Today at work, I was just going about my business on the sales floor like any other day. However, I heard a gentleman at the register who seemed to be upset and was getting louder. Naturally, I went over to the register and observed the interaction to ensure that things did not get out of hand.

Apparently, the gentleman had grabbed a shirt from a rack (the shirt that the rack was on did not have a sale sign on it) that was right next to a rack that had a sale sign on it. Now, when the sales associate tried to explain that the shirt was not on sale, the gentleman raised his voice at the sales associate and continued to vent his frustration and anger. However, during this entire time, the sales associate stayed calm and collected and respected the gentleman's decision to react to this particular problem in his own way. Finally, the gentleman asked the associate if the sign was a bit misleading. After a brief pause, the associate took the gentleman's pov into account and genuinely agreed that it was. Now, the manner in which the associate said this along with his calm demeanor, caused something very beautiful to happen: the gentleman started to calm down and apologized to the associate for yelling at him. As a result, the associate finished the transaction and treated the gentleman with genuine respect and kindness.

Afterwards, I went up to the associate and congratulated him on how well he handled that particular situation. In addition, I also acknowledged his talent with people and his conflict resolution skill, which resulted in him telling me that my acknowledgement meant a lot to him. Hence, seeing him in action and watching a wonderful display of peacemaking on his part, brought a smile to my face today.

Sounds like he behaved as programmed. If you hit him does he spew out an error code? Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-02-2017, 01:43 AM
Morondog Wrote:Sounds like he behaved as programmed. If you hit him does he spew out an error code? Tongue
Smile

I actually really appreciate this remark. IMO, it is a very valid observation. For me personally, I actually dislike the notion of "customer service", because IMO, it comes off as programmed and artificial: being nice in order to make the sale or because it's your job or because so and so is watching and etc. I like to think that if we genuinely treat people as people and not as objects to sell stuff too, then that can have a positive impact on people, which can help differentiate us from other companies. As a result, IMO, behaving in this way can aid companies in making those connections that will ultimately keep people coming back for a good experience, which IMO, produces a victory for all parties concerned.

Now, regarding the associate, IMO, his behavior today was a product of who he is as a person and not something he was pretending to be out of a need to fit into some label of his job description. Hence, for me at least, that is something very beautiful and unique. Live long and prosper, sir.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
08-02-2017, 01:52 AM
(08-02-2017 01:43 AM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  
Morondog Wrote:Sounds like he behaved as programmed. If you hit him does he spew out an error code? Tongue
Smile

I actually really appreciate this remark. IMO, it is a very valid observation. For me personally, I actually dislike the notion of "customer service", because IMO, it comes off as programmed and artificial: being nice in order to make the sale or because it's your job or because so and so is watching and etc. I like to think that if we genuinely treat people as people and not as objects to sell stuff too, then that can have a positive impact on people, which can help differentiate us from other companies. As a result, IMO, behaving in this way can aid companies in making those connections that will ultimately keep people coming back for a good experience, which IMO, produces a victory for all parties concerned.

Now, regarding the associate, IMO, his behavior today was a product of who he is as a person and not something he was pretending to be out of a need to fit into some label of his job description. Hence, for me at least, that is something very beautiful and unique. Live long and prosper, sir.

It seems to me that you're a guy who thinks about and is passionate about what he's doing, regardless of what that may be, which is pretty cool. I was just struck by how detailed your analysis of the situation was, almost like a log report from a web server or something Wink Hence my remark. But yeah, genuineness is a. something you can't fake and b. something that customers will really appreciate. You guys should do well Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
08-02-2017, 07:04 AM
I met, and was assigned, my first official client yesterday. I helped redo his books from the fourth quarter of 2013 and found out he is due a chunk of money from the IRS. Smile Now it's on to 2014 and forward. It's cool that his business is a mom and pop burger place in the town where I live. Yesterday was my first inclusion in a meeting with my boss and a client. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
08-02-2017, 07:08 AM
(07-02-2017 11:01 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  Today at work, I was just going about my business on the sales floor like any other day. However, I heard a gentleman at the register who seemed to be upset and was getting louder. Naturally, I went over to the register and observed the interaction to ensure that things did not get out of hand.

This is why you're better off hiring people for who they are, rather than what they've been trained to do. You can always teach a technical skill; you can't teach temperament.
08-02-2017, 07:28 AM

If you have the power to see to it that he gets either a promotion or raise (even if small), he will keep doing well. I used to care way too much at work. Now I don't really give much of a shit. Hard work is just rewarded by "I'm sorry, we don't have the money to give you a raise.". My personal fav is "Here is a guy we just hired right out of school. Train him well to be your supervisor." This is why people don't give a fuck any longer.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
08-02-2017, 11:14 AM
Drooling

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
08-02-2017, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2017 12:06 PM by Shai Hulud.)
In 101 just now, my students and I were discussing the War on Drugs leading to an upshift in arrests (understatement). I asked them the standards about if they went through DARE and how one study showed DARE graduates are more likely to use drugs. Then, "now when I was growing up, we had anti-drug PSAs, any of you see those?" Silence. "Seriously, anyone?" One Freshman woman mentioned the "brain on drugs" one. So after making sure no one minded the language, and because I wanted to break up a boring chapter that had them zoning (we were talking overall about crime shifts and the stats behind them, the War on Drugs pushed the largest shift...you can only talk crime rates and figures for so long before people zone out), we all got to watch The Nostalgia Critic:

Really fun discussion actually, a theater student who does a lot of makeup work was really harsh on critiquing a few of them from her standpoint.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user