Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
08-02-2017, 03:59 PM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
So on our way to New Orleans (we weren't even out of Texas yet), the goddamn check engine light in the fucking car came on so I of course started freaking out. Undecided Halfway wanted to just turn the car around and go home, but we pushed on to Nola. Anyway, was all nervous half the day yesterday even though the car seemed pretty okay (didn't overheat, just "shudders" or "shakes" or whatever if we are at low speeds sometimes).

I was really upset last night to the point of more or less crying and Rev said if I was that worried we could go ahead and just come on home today and get it checked out. We got up this morning, though, and after having breakfast at Cafe Du Monde (which was awesome, by the way), we went by a local Auto Zone and had them check the car with their little diagnostic tool. It said something about the breather tube and the fuel mixture running "lean" but they said it wasn't anything we needed to fix before we leave. So it looks like something we can take care of when we get back to Texas. Hopefully won't cost too much to get done.

Guess I know what I'll be doing Friday... sittin' at the car shop. Hobo Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
08-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Just bought this poster

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
08-02-2017, 09:02 PM
The weather dried up and warmed up enough that I could paint the roof of my truck today! Banana_zorro Banana_zorro It's all smooth and shiny! I've been working towards this for 2 months, with bad weather hampering me at every turn! I can put the windshield back in tomorrow and make it to the shop to get the new camper shell on after all, on Saturday! Banana_zorro I am incredibly pleased with the paint; it covered really well. At $100 a quart, plus the reducer and catalyst and ancillary equipment like tape and masking materials, it wasn't cheap. But I figure I saved about 1k on the job, by doing it myself.

Yeah, I know, pics or it didn't happen. I left my cell phone on the charger at home today. Facepalm I'll take it over and snap some pics (if anyone actually cares).
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
09-02-2017, 07:13 AM
(08-02-2017 09:02 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I'll take it over and snap some pics (if anyone actually cares).

Yes, please do post pics!
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
10-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Daughter's boyfriend is coming over tomorrow so she went on a cleaning spree in the apartment. Smile Maybe he needs to come over every weekend. Laugh out load Hobo

[+] 3 users Like Escape Artist's post
10-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Boss has mentioned twice that I should become a QuickBooks Pro Advisor as it would be good for the office and also good for me. I am learning QuickBooks Online and am in the middle of an intense project that covers over three years of books for a new client so I am learning at a pretty fast clip. I have used QuickBooks desktop products for years but there is a definite difference with the online version.

So, I asked today what was involved in the process. Apparently I can watch videos online, access the manuals for each segment, and test online. I now have something productive to do at night and on weekends. A long time employee has refused to do the work to earn the certification. I am happy for the suggestion and the opportunity.

This job is really turning out to be a good thing...good enough that I don't mind going in again tomorrow.

(I used to listen to a couple hundred songs a month on my Pandora account...last month I was up over 1400. Kind of nice to just settle in, do my work, and listen to tunes all day.) Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
10-02-2017, 07:59 PM
(10-02-2017 07:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Boss has mentioned twice that I should become a QuickBooks Pro Advisor as it would be good for the office and also good for me. I am learning QuickBooks Online and am in the middle of an intense project that covers over three years of books for a new client so I am learning at a pretty fast clip. I have used QuickBooks desktop products for years but there is a definite difference with the online version.

So, I asked today what was involved in the process. Apparently I can watch videos online, access the manuals for each segment, and test online. I now have something productive to do at night and on weekends. A long time employee has refused to do the work to earn the certification. I am happy for the suggestion and the opportunity.

This job is really turning out to be a good thing...good enough that I don't mind going in again tomorrow.

(I used to listen to a couple hundred songs a month on my Pandora account...last month I was up over 1400. Kind of nice to just settle in, do my work, and listen to tunes all day.) Thumbsup

...and low-performing employee may get gone, in which case the office will be even more fun to work in, yes?
10-02-2017, 11:14 PM
Probably one of the funniest things we saw in New Orleans was when we were walking up Bourbon Street. There was a guy sitting there flipping the bird with both hands, wearing a shirt that said FUCK TRUMP, and dude had a bucket in front of him for donations. Tongue

Wait, have I mentioned that in another thread already?

I need to do the dishes. >.>

10-02-2017, 11:36 PM
Call me horrible but going online and being what people thing you are.

I was debating Vegans, and they kept telling in in big words that I was 'stupid' and my research was 'invalid'. At this point I gave up and decided to be a dick and flat out said what they think all meat eaters are like: 'I just don't give a shit about a chickens life'

Boy the hate I got was funny. 'Your argument is invalid etc....' and 'that wouldn't hold up in a court of law etc....'

I flat out said 'that's not how I really think I just said that to see what would happen'

. . . . They didn't believe me.

It's small things like that that just make me smile and laugh. Granted I don't do this in real life, as real life people are violent and can't take a joke. Poking an internet bear is okay, poking a real life bear is suicide.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
11-02-2017, 02:54 AM
(10-02-2017 11:36 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Call me horrible but going online and being what people thing you are.

I was debating Vegans, and they kept telling in in big words that I was 'stupid' and my research was 'invalid'. At this point I gave up and decided to be a dick and flat out said what they think all meat eaters are like: 'I just don't give a shit about a chickens life'

Boy the hate I got was funny. 'Your argument is invalid etc....' and 'that wouldn't hold up in a court of law etc....'

I flat out said 'that's not how I really think I just said that to see what would happen'

. . . . They didn't believe me.

It's small things like that that just make me smile and laugh. Granted I don't do this in real life, as real life people are violent and can't take a joke. Poking an internet bear is okay, poking a real life bear is suicide.

But yeah, I can appreciate the fun in poking some foaming at the mouth ideologist from time to time. You know you've got a good specimen when even the most innocuous things drive them into fits of rage.

Oh yeah and welcome to the forum, Ruby Crystal. Just as a friendly heads up, we've got people here who fall under the "other" category for a lot of different things, veganism included. Most people aren't here to propagate their belief system and should generally be left alone. If you like poking the internet bear anyway, I'd recommend you let them throw the first punch before you start poking. Smile
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post