Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
03-04-2017, 11:49 AM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(03-04-2017 11:17 AM)kim Wrote:  
(03-04-2017 11:07 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Nah, 3 no shows and I start deducting from your combined attendance/participation grade to the tune of about 15% of the points per time, as a policy in the Syllabus. So if you miss enough class, you'll probably lose two letter grades by the Final...if your scores were perfect. If you already were down at say a D...heh. When I started TAing about 5 years ago, before getting a real position, I accepted almost any excuse as long as you emailed me.

I guess a failing grade will cause more damage to the transcript. Students don't always think of that - the end seems so far away. You gotta really want what you want. Wink
Oh it does Sad And heh, forgive the word, but "amen" to the really wanting what you want! Plus, at least here, if you don't have a C+ average in a class in your major, it doesn't count towards graduation, so you have to retake it. So two letter grades for the majors is almost as bad as an outright fail.

As an aside on the ethics of counting attendance on paying adults, though no one brought it up, it's three-fold on my part. First, yes, I do think people should attend the lecture and participate. Second, it's an easy way to buff the grades of the poor test takers in the class, along with our in-class activities and paper writing. Third, when someone fails our class, we're required to put in a drop down menu what week they last attended, ranging from F0 for never showing up to F15 for they showed the whole time, so financial aid can know what to do with them in the future.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
03-04-2017, 07:28 PM
When I cook something well, which isn't always the case. I made whole wheat ''artisan'' bread pizzas tonight, topping them lightly with olive oil, fresh spinach, fresh basil, mozzarella cheese, and roasted peppers. SO good. So, it brought a smile to my face that I didn't burn it.

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Deidre32's post
03-04-2017, 07:34 PM
(03-04-2017 07:28 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  When I cook something well, which isn't always the case. I made whole wheat ''artisan'' bread pizzas tonight, topping them lightly with olive oil, fresh spinach, fresh basil, mozzarella cheese, and roasted peppers. SO good. So, it brought a smile to my face that I didn't burn it.

Ooooooh! Yum. Smile

I, on the other hand, shoveled an Amy's burrito down my throat and got back to work. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
03-04-2017, 08:25 PM
(03-04-2017 07:34 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(03-04-2017 07:28 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  When I cook something well, which isn't always the case. I made whole wheat ''artisan'' bread pizzas tonight, topping them lightly with olive oil, fresh spinach, fresh basil, mozzarella cheese, and roasted peppers. SO good. So, it brought a smile to my face that I didn't burn it.

Ooooooh! Yum. Smile

I, on the other hand, shoveled an Amy's burrito down my throat and got back to work. Big Grin

lol Yay! It's the little things that make us smile. Big Grin

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
03-04-2017, 10:16 PM
Skyrim has the most beautiful music. I often don't notice it much during gameplay but if I go back and listen to Skyrim ambience on YouTube it's just lovely. Heart

04-04-2017, 06:38 AM
Who wants another puppy photo.

[Image: 17797269_10209056622800543_1311815206_o.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
04-04-2017, 06:35 PM
I had the energy yesterday to go out and have a photography day yesterday.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 6 users Like Free Thought's post
04-04-2017, 07:12 PM
(04-04-2017 06:35 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I had the energy yesterday to go out and have a photography day yesterday.

Would be interested to see what you got.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
04-04-2017, 09:21 PM
(04-04-2017 07:12 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 06:35 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I had the energy yesterday to go out and have a photography day yesterday.

Would be interested to see what you got.

I'm sorting through them for final 'release' now.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
05-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Our VOIP system is often down and annoying, but when it works, oh the smiles! Hail listening to voice mails from my inbox and the phone being smart enough to realize I shouldn't have to pick it up, type in a password, and listen to the voice mail on it again.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user