Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
08-05-2017, 09:41 AM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
This really is small, but, I won a prize in the Geography Department's raffle. I now have a bobble head of our mascot...which completes my collection in a way. I have a mascot, stuffed or bobble head, of each university I've worked at throughout my schooling and now employment, on a shelf in the office.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
08-05-2017, 10:08 AM
(08-05-2017 09:41 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  This really is small, but, I won a prize in the Geography Department's raffle. I now have a bobble head of our mascot...which completes my collection in a way. I have a mascot, stuffed or bobble head, of each university I've worked at throughout my schooling and now employment, on a shelf in the office.

So about 50 ? Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-05-2017, 11:44 AM
(08-05-2017 10:08 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 09:41 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  This really is small, but, I won a prize in the Geography Department's raffle. I now have a bobble head of our mascot...which completes my collection in a way. I have a mascot, stuffed or bobble head, of each university I've worked at throughout my schooling and now employment, on a shelf in the office.

So about 50 ? Tongue

It feels like it, but only 3. Tongue Two degrees at one school, where I did a year as temp faculty years later, one from another school where I TAed, and now this place for a couple of years.

Also smile worthy, and this hearkens back to grad student senses tingling, free food today all day. Dean's Open House, just had some nice vegetarian dishes. Meat filled retirement party later for a guy who has been here for 38 years. Smile Get the feeling some of my colleagues like the free booze more though.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2017, 12:04 PM
(08-05-2017 07:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 06:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That sounds completely acceptable. And delicious.

I'll have to try it sometime...soon very soon.

Pro tip: While that cake it is wonderful freshly iced, it gains some character after a day or two as it moistens the cake and the surface of the icing crystallizes a little.

And I really do love me some buttercream frosting. My wedding cake was a chocolate cake with mocha buttercream. It was the richest, moistest cake I've ever had.
The young lady who led the string quartet at the reception came over to me, a piece of cake on her plate and with her eyes wide and breathlessly said, "This is...is...like...real chocolate cake!"

I think I'll try it this weekend. After all, it's going to be Mother's Day. It'll be on me this year to fix something special.

Good buttercream is awesome.

Once, gosh years ago....I went to birthday party and while I'd never ask for corner piece or demand a rose, but I happened to just score one (a rose).

I was so excited....until I slipped the fork through the Rose and discovered it was royal icing. The cake was covered in fondant and had a filling...it was lemon curd...which is fine....

I took maybe three bites and felt sad and cheated.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-05-2017, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2017 08:54 PM by Full Circle.)
My dog and I are sitting under the shade of our Strangler fig when this bird shows up unconcerned with our presence. Smile

[Image: 1200px-Common_Yellowthroat_by_Dan_Pancamo.jpg]

I looked it up and found it was a Common yellowthroat, Geothlypis trichas.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
08-05-2017, 05:21 PM
Oh wow....

Have you ever tasted awesome?

I did, right now. Pastrami from the Jewish deli in town.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-05-2017, 06:15 PM
(08-05-2017 01:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  My dog and I are sitting under the shade of our Strangler fig when...

[Image: cheat-day-better.gif?w=700]

Would you look at the wittle birdie, though! Did it sing? My mum was telling me just the other day how there was a storm but now it was all quiet and peaceful and the only sound were the birds singing outside...

... while I was listening to buses, motorcycles and screeching football fans Sadcryface

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
08-05-2017, 07:34 PM
My sister went to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yesterday so today we ended up having a text conversation in "I am Groot"s (we'd put what we meant in parentheses).

I love having her as my sister. Heart

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 4 users Like CleverUsername's post
08-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Awesome puss.

You WILL smile by the time it is over!
[Image: Idontknowwhattosay-47744.gif]

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 4 users Like BackSlider's post
08-05-2017, 07:45 PM
Sorry another one I can't keep to mah-self.

Lesson in playing ball with girls:

[Image: Playing-ball-with-Girls.gif]

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 2 users Like BackSlider's post