Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
04-06-2017, 01:40 PM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(04-06-2017 01:01 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  The sounds of the birds when I go outside.

In my childhood in the morning birds would make all kinds of sound.To me it sounded as if they were calling out my name.I liked that.It felt like the nature was saying Good morning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sea_tiger's post
04-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Finished some stuff* today for online workshop so that I don't have to do anything tomorrow (except my check up at the doc and cook dinner).

Created Content Module One. Created a ten question Syllabus Quiz. Created a 15 slide PowerPoint for Module One. Created a thousand word Welcome/here's how everything links to the learning outcomes for the module, program outcomes for the degree program, departmental outcomes fort he department, and overall course goals. Created Discussion Boards with 500-ish words of instructions on how to reply and how they can't see other people's replies until they do their post first and then have to reply X number of times to others; made 3 paragraph long scenarios for them to choose from. Embedded a YouTube video and Harvard Business Review article into the online learning space for that. Created a Dropbox for a small paper assignment. And did all of that while consulting a "Quality Matters" rubric about online learning. And then made a Module One Checklist on the learning platform, with links to each of those things as an item, so that people can just go to the checklist to see due dates and be able to navigate anywhere in Module One for the course shell.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
04-06-2017, 01:43 PM
(04-06-2017 01:01 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  The sounds of the birds when I go outside. I especially love the catbirds, they have such a vocal range/song and sometimes it is downright funny.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Gray_Catbird/sounds

I have several bird feeders that I keep stocked and we get a lot of different kinds of birds here.

We also have two parrots...one is an African Grey. Sometimes when the weather is nice I put the parrots out on the deck. For days afterward Chewy mimics all the bird calls she heard while outside. It's pretty cool.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
04-06-2017, 02:25 PM
That is awesome Smile Birds are such cool animals.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
04-06-2017, 03:20 PM
(04-06-2017 01:40 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Finished some stuff* today for online workshop so that I don't have to do anything tomorrow (except my check up at the doc and cook dinner).

Created Content Module One. Created a ten question Syllabus Quiz. Created a 15 slide PowerPoint for Module One. Created a thousand word Welcome/here's how everything links to the learning outcomes for the module, program outcomes for the degree program, departmental outcomes fort he department, and overall course goals. Created Discussion Boards with 500-ish words of instructions on how to reply and how they can't see other people's replies until they do their post first and then have to reply X number of times to others; made 3 paragraph long scenarios for them to choose from. Embedded a YouTube video and Harvard Business Review article into the online learning space for that. Created a Dropbox for a small paper assignment. And did all of that while consulting a "Quality Matters" rubric about online learning. And then made a Module One Checklist on the learning platform, with links to each of those things as an item, so that people can just go to the checklist to see due dates and be able to navigate anywhere in Module One for the course shell.

So, you test your students on the contents of the syllabus? In my world, those are called free points. When I taught school, I required that the homework be handed in. I carefully explained that it was to the student's benefit to work together to solve the homework problems (they could copy each other, for all I cared). It counted for half their grade. Tests comprised the rest of the grade. One could turn in the homework late, and still get credit, btw. I pointed out that one could turn in all the homework, get 50% on the tests, and still pass the course with a "C". People still occasionally failed.
04-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Hanging out with my little nieces and nephews and observing their little curious scientific minds. I let them each pick out a book recently with the condition that it had to be somewhat educational and they were ecstatic. They have since been teaching me things they've learned from their new books. It makes my heart so happy! Heart

“Don't worry. You're just as sane as I am." -Luna Lovegood
[+] 3 users Like DaniLuna's post
04-06-2017, 04:54 PM
(04-06-2017 03:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 01:40 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Finished some stuff* today for online workshop so that I don't have to do anything tomorrow (except my check up at the doc and cook dinner).

So, you test your students on the contents of the syllabus? In my world, those are called free points. When I taught school, I required that the homework be handed in. I carefully explained that it was to the student's benefit to work together to solve the homework problems (they could copy each other, for all I cared). It counted for half their grade. Tests comprised the rest of the grade. One could turn in the homework late, and still get credit, btw. I pointed out that one could turn in all the homework, get 50% on the tests, and still pass the course with a "C". People still occasionally failed.

In my world they're called "People don't read the Syllabus". Sad And mainly that's in there to make the people running the workshop happy. In all seriousness though, in my 101 courses, I always put 5 syllabus questions on the first test, they're the most missed questions on said test.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2017, 05:04 PM
(04-06-2017 04:54 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 03:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  So, you test your students on the contents of the syllabus? In my world, those are called free points. When I taught school, I required that the homework be handed in. I carefully explained that it was to the student's benefit to work together to solve the homework problems (they could copy each other, for all I cared). It counted for half their grade. Tests comprised the rest of the grade. One could turn in the homework late, and still get credit, btw. I pointed out that one could turn in all the homework, get 50% on the tests, and still pass the course with a "C". People still occasionally failed.

In my world they're called "People don't read the Syllabus". Sad And mainly that's in there to make the people running the workshop happy. In all seriousness though, in my 101 courses, I always put 5 syllabus questions on the first test, they're the most missed questions on said test.

When I went back to school a few years ago reading the syllabus was mandatory and there was almost always a quiz you had to take to prove it.

If you add some questions to your first test...section them off and give them more weight.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
05-06-2017, 11:20 AM
Did ya see the dragon orbiting up dere in da sky last night, chasing the Space Station ? There really are dragons floating up in space. Yes
And now the Space Station caught that dragon, up there.
http://phys.org/news/2017-06-spacex-recy...ation.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-06-2017, 10:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2017 10:13 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Horsey McHorseface wins his race.
They know how to name their horsies down in Australia.
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/6/5/...ples-horse

But Boaty McBoatface may not be allowed.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/22/world....html?_r=0

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post