Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
21-06-2017, 11:20 AM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(21-06-2017 11:17 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  Talked to a man and woman who invited me to join a Charlotte-based atheist & agnostic group. Too far to travel for, but when we said our goodbyes, he said it was "always nice to meet good atheists" and "we need more good atheists like you."

As opposed to scumbag atheists like me Evil_monster

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
22-06-2017, 01:29 PM
[Image: DC8q8B3V0AALgcn.jpg]

More plastic that changes into other plastic.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
25-06-2017, 05:34 PM
Finally got in the pool for a while today. Took it easy so I didn't get burned since my skin hasn't seen the sun in a year.

Went out and bought a new swimming suit earlier today. I have been wearing the same two for years now. I actually have one I bought when my son was a baby (he's 30 now) and it still fits.

Next week I am taking Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off (the week of the fourth) so I hope to get in lots of pool time. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Free pizza thanks to Dominos piece of the pie rewards.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
26-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Being back home after an out-of-state trip! Heart

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
26-06-2017, 01:53 PM
(26-06-2017 11:34 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Being back home after an out-of-state trip! Heart

Ya'ern't runoft by no Razrbax, wuz ye? Confused

Heard tell 'ey drill-practice ina woodz, sumtimez! Wink

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
26-06-2017, 02:06 PM
(26-06-2017 11:34 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Being back home after an out-of-state trip! Heart

Staying home to begin with! Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
28-06-2017, 05:15 PM
I got a Facebook message today from a young man who dated my middle child years ago. He had a pretty troubled youth but has really turned his life around. He is one of my favorite people to follow on FB as he is not only really funny but he also has a lot of wisdom.

Message said- Happy birthday ex-girlfriend's mom. Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
28-06-2017, 06:08 PM
(28-06-2017 05:15 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I got a Facebook message today from a young man who dated my middle child years ago. He had a pretty troubled youth but has really turned his life around. He is one of my favorite people to follow on FB as he is not only really funny but he also has a lot of wisdom.

Anj, sometimes these are exactly the things that touch us the most; not really from our closest ones, but people who we, sometimes, don't even realised we've helped or simply touched.

I've been told by more than one person at my old job how I helped them so much when they first started work and how all they know, they owe to me and how nice and patient I was even when they kept asking me question after question.

Or the person who told me how, when she arrived in Rio from Portugal, tired and alone, and everyone was speaking English and she felt lost, and then I came to her and started speaking Portuguese in order to invite her to dinner, and she felt like she was home...

Or someone on the internet, telling me how I'm the first person they've shared a problem with and how much talking to me helps...

Yikes, I did talk way too much about myself, didn't I Blush

But yeah, it's the little gestures and words. Which reminds me of the first poem I learnt in Portuguese. As bday present, will quote it in English, though Rolleyes

"To be great, be whole;
Exclude nothing, exaggerate nothing that is not you.
Be whole in everything. Put all you are
Into the smallest thing you do.

So, in each lake, the moon shines with splendor
Because it blooms up above."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
28-06-2017, 07:28 PM
(28-06-2017 06:08 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(28-06-2017 05:15 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I got a Facebook message today from a young man who dated my middle child years ago. He had a pretty troubled youth but has really turned his life around. He is one of my favorite people to follow on FB as he is not only really funny but he also has a lot of wisdom.

Anj, sometimes these are exactly the things that touch us the most; not really from our closest ones, but people who we, sometimes, don't even realised we've helped or simply touched.

I've been told by more than one person at my old job how I helped them so much when they first started work and how all they know, they owe to me and how nice and patient I was even when they kept asking me question after question.

Or the person who told me how, when she arrived in Rio from Portugal, tired and alone, and everyone was speaking English and she felt lost, and then I came to her and started speaking Portuguese in order to invite her to dinner, and she felt like she was home...

Or someone on the internet, telling me how I'm the first person they've shared a problem with and how much talking to me helps...

Yikes, I did talk way too much about myself, didn't I Blush

But yeah, it's the little gestures and words. Which reminds me of the first poem I learnt in Portuguese. As bday present, will quote it in English, though Rolleyes

"To be great, be whole;
Exclude nothing, exaggerate nothing that is not you.
Be whole in everything. Put all you are
Into the smallest thing you do.

So, in each lake, the moon shines with splendor
Because it blooms up above."

He's a good guy. He and my daughter didn't belong together though. It wasn't anything wrong with either of them, they just didn't fit beyond a certain time in their lives. He had a rough childhood...his mother left him and his sister with a drunken father who was able to keep a roof over their heads but not much more than that. He got in trouble, spent time in juvie and then a short stint in prison...yeah, he broke the law...no, that doesn't make him a bad person. He actually made the most of his time incarcerated and got the education he missed out on during his wild and unsupervised teen years. I smile when I see him being the grammar Nazi among his friends. It's funny that he now works for a man I used to work for years ago...small world.

I didn't shut him out after his legal troubles. There but for the grace...you know the rest.

Then there was that time when he was on vacation with us at the beach and did something stupid and injured himself...I managed to keep him from bleeding to death and did a pretty decent job of patching him up...kid owes me his life. Tongue

There are several of my kids' friends who stay in touch because I gave them a safe place to be when their families failed them.

If I have done anything right in my life it was to offer a safe haven and a hot meal to teens who would have gone without otherwise.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post