Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
13-08-2017, 07:32 AM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
(11-08-2017 04:22 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  

Thumbsup

That's seriously the truth.
It was all the animals around here that brought out my brother from his autism.

On another note :
yay for rally cat

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20304...at-missing

and yay for the new MN football coach ... gave a player (kicker) who's never been in a game a scholarship cuz he volunteers with kids :
http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/universi...d=49133308

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2017, 09:35 AM
GirlyMan got my back on FB. Thanks Girly. Heart

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
13-08-2017, 07:01 PM
5 days off of work.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
14-08-2017, 02:57 PM

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
14-08-2017, 08:15 PM
I made up a word (purely coincidentally but it was perfect for what I was talking about - annoying horny men)

hormonster

And then I found out someone's beaten* me to it, at least on Urban dictionary... Weeping

Nothing new under the sun, indeed. But, as the great Octavia Butler said, there are new suns Heart

*NOT the best choice of word in light of the context, either Confused

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-08-2017, 01:56 PM
This should probably go in a thread that reads Big Things That Make You Smile.

tl;dr version - You reap what you sow

In 1994 my wife’s grandmother died and left her two daughters a 200 acre farm in Arkansas. The basis of this inheritance at the time was $25,000 each.

Fast forward to last year when one of the two sisters dies, my wife’s mom. Tax law says that the cost basis of the inherited property is at the time of death. By this time the property was valued at $4,000/acre or $800k!

The reset cost basis for my wife, her sister and grandkids is based on the value at the time of inheritance, thus $800,000 so when the property was sold for just under that amount a few months back the net gain for them was $0. No taxes due. (Hey, we didn’t write the tax code).

Throughout the painful process of liquidating and distributing the inheritance the aunt (surviving sister) is being an absolute ass. Nothing new, in fact she didn’t even come to her own sister’s funeral and didn’t speak to her or her nieces for the last 23 years!

Had she been kind and caring we would have suggested to her that she should buy out the other half and then pass it along to her children upon her death to avoid paying taxes on the difference in value. She inherited a property valued at $400,000 with a cost basis of $25,000...this means she will owe Uncle Sam taxes on $375,000!

Assuming she is in the 28% tax bracket she will owe the IRS $105,000!

Yesterday we received a panicked phone call from an intermediary (she refuses to speak directly with her own niece, my wife) asking if there was paperwork showing the 1994 inheritance. Evil_monster Oh, yeah Yes There is. She just figured out what cashing out meant for her.

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Revenge is a dish best served cold ~ Klingon proverb

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
15-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Oh that is some fine revenge right there Smile

Just finished reading the latest novel in a series I dearly love. One of the recurring themes in the series is that no matter how out of hand things get, it'll all turn out...marginally okay...in the end. It did not really turn out well. But it did end on a rather darkly funny note and I can't wait for the next book in two years time.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-08-2017, 06:44 PM
(15-08-2017 01:56 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  This should probably go in a thread that reads Big Things That Make You Smile.

In 1994 my wife’s grandmother died and left her two daughters a 200 acre farm in Arkansas. The basis of this inheritance at the time was $25,000 each.

Fast forward to last year when one of the two sisters dies, my wife’s mom. Tax law says that the cost basis of the inherited property is at the time of death. By this time the property was valued at $4,000/acre or $800k!

The reset cost basis for my wife, her sister and grandkids is based on the value at the time of inheritance, thus $800,000 so when the property was sold for just under that amount a few months back the net gain for them was $0. No taxes due. (Hey, we didn’t write the tax code).

Throughout the painful process of liquidating and distributing the inheritance the aunt (surviving sister) is being an absolute ass. Nothing new, in fact she didn’t even come to her own sister’s funeral and didn’t speak to her or her nieces for the last 23 years!

Had she been kind and caring we would have suggested to her that she should buy out the other half and then pass it along to her children upon her death to avoid paying taxes on the difference in value. She inherited a property valued at $400,000 with a cost basis of $25,000...this means she will owe Uncle Sam taxes on $375,000!

Yesterday we received a panicked phone call from an intermediary (she refuses to speak directly with her own niece, my wife) asking if there was paperwork showing the 1994 inheritance. Evil_monster Oh, yeah Yes There is. She just figured out what cashing out meant for her.

Now where DID I put that paperwork? I think it's in the attic somewhere. Maybe.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
15-08-2017, 07:10 PM
(11-08-2017 04:22 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  

Thumbsup

Aw, breaking out kleenexes...too sweet Heart
15-08-2017, 08:47 PM
(15-08-2017 06:44 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  
(15-08-2017 01:56 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  This should probably go in a thread that reads Big Things That Make You Smile.

Now where DID I put that paperwork? I think it's in the attic somewhere. Maybe.

I’m thinking of sending the IRS a copy. Evil_monster

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post