Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
24-08-2017, 12:19 AM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
I left the small door on the side of the garage open for a bit, with a light on. I came back to find a panicked hummingbird hovering all over, exhausting itself.
I turned out the lights, opened a windlow, opened a gargage door to no avail; every time it approached the door it ended up above it in that small gap between door and ceiling. Finally it settled on a poster I had leaned up at the back of the garage. I slowly approached it, lifted the poster up by the lower edge and walked it out of the garage. It stayed on long enough to see the way out, and pronptly went to the feeder in the carport to replenish itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
24-08-2017, 07:01 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2017 07:10 AM by Escape Artist.)
Another good night for Midnight. Smile

I dunno what kind of hoodoo magic this dog is working on me, but I am considering volunteering for the morning potty run for her since I am up early in the mornings anyway. Rev has a much harder time at getting a decent night's sleep than I do. I hate for him to have to get up just to take her out when I'm up as it is already. We'll see. She may would get him up earlier than usual anyway for a second potty break after me and the kids leave, but if I did the first one of the day, maybe it'd help at least some.

Plus, I'm just feeling really grateful and lucky about all this. She is so well-behaved and is already trained to the degree that we have a flimsy little gate up blocking off the bedroom area and though she could easily knock it down or jump over it, she doesn't even try, and when Rev left his dinner plate unattended for a few minutes to go refill his drink, she stopped and looked at his plate but then went on about her business, and it was Rev who really focused in on her at the shelter and thought she'd be good for us. He made a very good choice. Smile

It's nuts that a dog is in the house and I am feeling no stress because of it. ^__^ Maybe it's dumb but this was kind of one of the last big hurdles in mine and Revs' relationship, at least for me. I'd known he was a dog person (not an animal person to the degree that he wanted to adopt everything in sight, but still a dog person) and I'd known that I was not and had had very negative experiences with them and was super-stressed having to live with them. I was afraid that was going to happen all over again. I wanted to be a dog person because I knew it was important to Rev, though I didn't understand it, and still in a way don't (but maybe that is changing now), but I just wasn't.

Ugh, I am not making sense. Point is, I was afraid things were gonna go to shite when the dog showed up and she's been an absolute joy. We couldn't have designed a better dog for us, I don't think. Big Grin

[+] 5 users Like Escape Artist's post
24-08-2017, 08:47 AM
(24-08-2017 07:01 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Another good night for Midnight. Smile

I dunno what kind of hoodoo magic this dog is working on me, but I am considering volunteering for the morning potty run for her since I am up early in the mornings anyway. Rev has a much harder time at getting a decent night's sleep than I do. I hate for him to have to get up just to take her out when I'm up as it is already. We'll see. She may would get him up earlier than usual anyway for a second potty break after me and the kids leave, but if I did the first one of the day, maybe it'd help at least some.

Plus, I'm just feeling really grateful and lucky about all this. She is so well-behaved and is already trained to the degree that we have a flimsy little gate up blocking off the bedroom area and though she could easily knock it down or jump over it, she doesn't even try, and when Rev left his dinner plate unattended for a few minutes to go refill his drink, she stopped and looked at his plate but then went on about her business, and it was Rev who really focused in on her at the shelter and thought she'd be good for us. He made a very good choice. Smile

It's nuts that a dog is in the house and I am feeling no stress because of it. ^__^ Maybe it's dumb but this was kind of one of the last big hurdles in mine and Revs' relationship, at least for me. I'd known he was a dog person (not an animal person to the degree that he wanted to adopt everything in sight, but still a dog person) and I'd known that I was not and had had very negative experiences with them and was super-stressed having to live with them. I was afraid that was going to happen all over again. I wanted to be a dog person because I knew it was important to Rev, though I didn't understand it, and still in a way don't (but maybe that is changing now), but I just wasn't.

Ugh, I am not making sense. Point is, I was afraid things were gonna go to shite when the dog showed up and she's been an absolute joy. We couldn't have designed a better dog for us, I don't think. Big Grin

Agh I'm so happy for you! Dogs are truly life changing.

Reminds me of when we rescued our dog Rosy earlier this year. She was a very nervous young pupper, and for good reason--whoever had owned her before had cut off half her tail. Didn't help that our other dog, a teensy Maltese, was a jerk at first.

I was still suffering from a great deal of anxiety at the time so we helped each other out Smile

She has warmed up so much since and is spoiled completely rotten. She will never have to endure the nightmare that was her life before.

[Image: image.jpg]

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
24-08-2017, 09:06 AM
CAVEAT: This WON'T make you smile:

Skyking, I read somewhere that a hummingbird can die in something like 45 minutes without food. You were lucky to find yours and get it out so quickly. We used to keep bird netting all around our garden like a tent. I came home a few years ago to find a hummingbird caught and tangled in the netting. I tried carefully to get him loose for about fifteen minutes including trying to cut netting away but he died in my hands. I even tried little chest compressions once I got everything cut off after he stopped moving. It was horrifying. No more netting for us, ever again.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
24-08-2017, 09:07 AM
(24-08-2017 08:47 AM)Loom Wrote:  
(24-08-2017 07:01 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Another good night for Midnight. Smile

Agh I'm so happy for you! Dogs are truly life changing.

Reminds me of when we rescued our dog Rosy earlier this year. She was a very nervous young pupper, and for good reason--whoever had owned her before had cut off half her tail. Didn't help that our other dog, a teensy Maltese, was a jerk at first.

I was still suffering from a great deal of anxiety at the time so we helped each other out Smile

She has warmed up so much since and is spoiled completely rotten. She will never have to endure the nightmare that was her life before.

Yeah, it felt really good to be able to get Midnight out of there (the shelter). She'd only been there a week, but who knows how long she was a stray before they picked her up.

I do wonder what her story is. As I said, she's obviously been trained by someone at some point in her life so she must've been loved then. But part of her right ear is missing - it is shorter than the other and there is a sore spot, so I dunno if she got into a fight with another dog while she was a stray or if something happened with her original owners or what.

But at least she is out of that horrible heat at the shelter and is able to sleep on a comfy couch instead of hard concrete. Heart And she is a little bony but we'll fatten her up a bit yet. Smile

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
24-08-2017, 09:08 AM
By the way, Loom - your Rosy looks a lot like Midnight! ^__^

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
24-08-2017, 09:15 AM
Loom - your doggo looks like a younger version of my doggo haha. I have a lab-colly cross named Molly Smile she is 10 years old Smile

Topical post - My 7 year old daughter started Judo class last night. Only a try out session for her but having done combat sports myself a little bit as a teen, this gave me big smile to see her enjoy it so much. Also made me want to move my ass and join a session with the adults as well haha.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
24-08-2017, 04:34 PM

Maybe what you needed all along was a dog to help you with some of your anxieties.

I still think she will end up loving you best. Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
24-08-2017, 06:23 PM
I am definitely falling in love with her, Anj. Heart She is just a sweetheart and so smart. Really glad we found her and that she's a good match for us and us for her. She is coming out of her shell more now, too. Smile She was really excited when me and my son got home today. What's funny too is that I've been wanting to tell a bunch of people about her, lol. Laugh out load Told the girls from my old department about her and they want pictures. ^__^ I'm like a new mom or something. Hobo Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
24-08-2017, 06:26 PM
I hate to say I told you so...but, I told you so. Cool

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post