Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
12-10-2017, 10:49 PM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
Well, I made it 26 years without drinking/drugging. Except caffeine, of course. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
13-10-2017, 03:51 AM
(12-10-2017 08:43 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  The problem is that certain minority parents and that includes white people in some circumstances are teaching their kids to not trust cops at all and to never under any circumstance cooperate.

I am a salesman, what I sell is legal so I am not fearful around the cops. I prefer like anyone that they not be around all the time, because I also like to get away with speeding and some other things. I was here about a week ago and I picked up the smell of skunk in the air.

One of my co-workers said that it is a local drug dealer and don't say anything about the smell unless I want to get shot. I was not aware of what weed actually smells like. That is an example of someone that would not want cops around at all ever. Not at school where they might pick up the smell coming off his son or anywhere for that matter. We have cops in and out of here a lot buying stuff.

To be honest I don't think they care all that much if people have weed on them. We have cops of all races come in. I talk to all of them, because I am not doing anything wrong. You can tell the ones that are doing something they shouldn't because they avoid the cops of any color like the plague.

There does not seem to be any racial tension here other than we have many drug dealers around here. If they get pinched for having drugs on them it is because of the distinct odor that follows them around, not because the cops said "oh a black guy!" and then pounced on him. I understand that some might just fear cops, but for the most part it is because of illegal shit that they should get locked up for. Oh and no I am not against weed. I think it should be legal.

To be far, that's a common theme though. More personal examples, but my [biological] father, a white man, was also a big drug dealer. Coke, Weed, pills...you name it he could do it for you. The area I grew up in, was all about "don't snitch" (or "be a grass" as we say over here), and it's a mentality beaten into you. IE don't snitch or else you'll get hurt, and most people would rather not take the chance of getting hurt.

That being said, it ultimately comes down to the person. Do they think it's worth it to talk to the police OR go one step further and leave that life style altogether. I , as a person, chose not to live in a crack den, surrounded by guard dogs and drugs, to better myself and do something with my life. I knew this from a crazy early age. Do others still live like that? of course they do, but is it restricted to a persons skin colour? No it's definitely not. It's a mind set, some which people become very proud of, to be "the big man/women" selling drugs and getting into fights etc. My dad is 47 now, and hasn't done anything like that for over probably 20 years, because he saw that it's just not cool. And even now, people approach him to tell him how much they respect him for his actions, back in the day. Most of which involved handing out beatings and selling drugs...which to me has never been cool at all.

It's not just minority, it's down to the overall influence of the family/friends/surroundings. And the cycle can easily be broken, by just accepting that in real life, it's not cool to shoot people/sell drugs/fight people, and better yourself. Like, I'm not a rich guy or anything, but I live in a house, with my wife and child, where me and the mrs both work full time and have done since age 16, and we're keeping my past/my fathers past, away from our childs mind, so she can do something with herself.

the TLDR of this is, you project your views onto minorities because the area in which you live has more "non white" people, and thus you think that is their common behaviour. I can tell you from first hand experience, that everybody doing exactly the same thing as you described above, in my area is white. It's not restricted to colour/whatever.....so can you drop the whole "well black kids will riot in the class rooms" shite.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
13-10-2017, 05:27 AM
(12-10-2017 10:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, I made it 26 years without drinking/drugging. Except caffeine, of course. Drinking Beverage

Congratulations! That's so great!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
13-10-2017, 05:32 AM
Didn't sleep well, so got up at 4:45am. Since then I've:
1) Gone to the gym.
2) Eaten breakfast.
3) Posted my slides for next week.
4) Read some interesting articles.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
13-10-2017, 10:19 AM
I have no scheduled activities this weekend, so I'm planning to spend the entire weekend reading my new book (Philip Roth's When She Was Good) while my computer analyzes my recent chess games (I have to babysit the computer to note the evaluations at the end of each variation, but this leaves a lot of free time for reading). I will also have some nice music playing (probably Brad Mehldau).

To some, this may sound like the most boring weekend ever, but I'm pumped.

Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
14-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Seeing that old man, about 70, still jogging makes me smile and wonder if i would be able to jog if i would be at that age already...

Sent from my SM-J105B using Tapatalk
[+] 4 users Like lynn's post
14-10-2017, 04:00 PM
I did not have to do the jeans dance today! Crash dieting is always a good idea!

[Image: THLxJ3S.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
14-10-2017, 05:19 PM
This is just too cute Blush

Also, the name bearded fireworm Shy

[Image: 610f0dfe0fb42cacca040c4c29f632ea_extra_large.webp]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
14-10-2017, 05:58 PM
(12-10-2017 10:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, I made it 26 years without drinking/drugging. Except caffeine, of course. Drinking Beverage
^5
That date is coming up for me too.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
17-10-2017, 09:10 AM

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze