Small Things That Make You Smile Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
21-10-2017, 07:34 PM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
tl;dr Saved a guys wedding band from disappearing into the abyss.

We had just ended a deep dive and I was doing my safety stop 15 feet below the surface. Above me were the rest of the divers holding on to a trailing line from the boat waiting their turn to board. As this stage we ask the divers to remove their fins before getting to the ladder so they don’t do a face plant when we have 3-4 foot seas. Holding on to the ladder while fiddling with your fins is a great way to get hurt.

So there I am, hovering over the deep blue, the sandy bottom some 110 feet (35 meters) below me, when all of a sudden I see this thing flipping slowly downward just a few feet in front of me. I reach out and catch it and see that it’s a wedding band. I look up and there above me on the surface is some diver fist pumping like crazy. I immediately surmised the guy had knocked the ring of his finger while taking off his fins.

I placed the band on my gloved finger and waited until the ladder cleared, surfaced, and as I made my way up the ladder I announced that someone owed me a six pack! The guy and his wife were ecstatic, he said he saw the whole thing in slow motion, and knew if I didn’t see it and catch it, it was lost forever. Lots of fist bumps and thank you’s on the way back to the dock.

This afternoon I get a call from my buddy who works at the dive shop and tells me to stop by to pick up a 12 pack of Corona the grateful husband left for me as a thank you.

I’ll be telling that story until the day I hang up my fins. Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Full Circle's post
22-10-2017, 05:44 PM
This "conversation" between my sister and my 17 month old nephew:

Him: Me. You. Me.
Her: You? What's your name?
Him: Neni, Neni.
Her: No, that's mama's name, what is your name?
Him: Neni.
Her: That's me, mama.
Him: Mama.
Her: Who is mama?
Him: Dadda.
Her: What's dadda's name?
Him: Dadda.
Her: What is your name?
Him: *Making random noises and pointing at himself while looking in the mirror

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
22-10-2017, 06:33 PM
We went to the symphony last night and it was wonderful. You know the tingles you get when music is really, really good? So many tingles Smile

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like ShadowProject's post
22-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Car in front of me on the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) this am, had a bumper sticker : "Honk if you don't exist".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-10-2017, 02:11 PM
When I use a new recipe and it comes out well, especially baked goods, because those can go tits up in seconds if you over stir, over knead, or open the oven too soon.

If you weep at the loss of the sun, then your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.
[+] 1 user Likes Miscellaniac's post
24-10-2017, 08:49 PM
Elongated Man is coming to the Flash TV series. Super hyped.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
25-10-2017, 01:25 AM
Watching my daughter opening her birthday presents this morning Big Grin Looking forward to the cake. Drooling

Get your own bleeding hymn book
[+] 5 users Like Thedemonbarber's post
25-10-2017, 06:27 AM
I got a dividend check for $917 in yesterday's mail. Thumbsup
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
25-10-2017, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2017 01:29 PM by Szuchow.)
Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
New Hitler biography by Peter Longerich is now available in Polish. Judging by his book on Himmler and Goebbels I'm in for a treat.

Edit: Will be available on 23.11.2017. Fuck.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Was wearing my aggressively liberal shirt in Target a couple weeks ago and a young girl (like 11-12) came up and thanked me for it.

[Image: 897319_1.jpg]

Really made my day.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 8 users Like Revenant77x's post