Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
20-10-2016, 10:39 AM
RE: Small Things That Make You Smile Thread
Finally declaring victory over WI's seeming attempts to suppress my entire county's vote. Early voted this morning.

Just a sandworm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
21-10-2016, 06:46 AM
I have two glorious days off!

Two glorious days where I get to spend time with my pets and yap all day with Tartarus on Skype, maybe do a little shopping, and finally get my laundry done!

[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
21-10-2016, 09:12 AM
After months of being able to talk to visitors/delivered a on my entry phone, but not being able to hear them, I checked on the price of a new one.

£80 Shocking I only paid £60 ten years ago...

The advantage of this one is that it is also a DECT cordless phone - so I can answer the door and phone on the same unit from anywhere. I had taken it apart, no obvious probe, tapping and scratching got through but not voice.

Plunk, ding, flash!

Poked around, gently, in the tiny mic hole and, 'cos the phone was on loudspeaker and next to the outside unit, got blasted with feedback!

Reckon some little bug(ger) had decided that nice little hole was a nice little place for a nest! Smile

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
22-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Got the lease on the apartment renewed for another year. Big Grin We really like it here - it's been a good place to us.

On Monday, the 24th, it's the one-year anniversary of Rev's arrival in Texas. Heart

This coming Saturday I have a dental appointment. Nervous because it's been awhile since I last went there, and those last two visits were awful. Went in the first time to them expecting to get some cavities taken care of while I had a bit of extra money floating around, and left crying instead. They told me I needed two root canals, a deep cleaning, and yeah I did have one cavity that could just be filled. With all that that needed to be done, I just could not afford it. And I didn't qualify for CareCredit either which would have allowed me to pay it off in interest-free increments.

Sure, I had just moved back home to my parents' house and other than funding a divorce and also saving up for a car, much of the rest of my money was free, but a car and a divorce are not cheap and I still had to pay for gas to work and food for my kids. The divorce and the car and getting things going for Rev to move here from Maryland took priority over my teeth because let's face it, I'm terrified of the dentist and I wanted all those other things so much more.

Went to them again a little later to see if things had gotten any worse or if the price would be the same, and they tried to just dive in and do the procedure (first visit would have been like $400 out of pocket) so I had to end up leaving feeling extremely embarrassed because there'd been some kind of miscommunication who knows where. Another awful visit because I felt so stupid.

But anyway here we are and Rev is here and I have the car and the divorce and I'm coming into the time of year that I usually have more money available, so now it's time to take care of it. I am feeling okay now. Nervous, yes - worried how much worse things have gotten since that visit and how much more it might cost or how much more invasive it might be. But I feel like I have a moral obligation to keep myself in decent health for my kids and for all who care about me and are invested in my health. Tongue So I am trying to keep that in the forefront of my mind as the appointment gets closer.

Wish me luck! My dental insurance seems to be a bit better this year so here's hoping the cost won't be so terribly bad. I am hoping it will be low enough that I can cover it with holiday bonus or else that I'll qualify for CareCredit and can make low payments on it each month. Hobo Hobo

Bleh, that was overly long. Blush Point is, it feels good to be getting things taken care of that had been neglected for far too long.

[+] 6 users Like Escape Artist's post
22-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Oh, and I can't remember if I mentioned this before or not but... if y'all recall, my Vitamin D levels had been quite deficient - had bottomed out to 11 Sad - but the NP put me on a 50,000 IU weekly dose to boost them up again. Last labwork shows I'm now at 70-something. Smile So now I'm just on a 2,000 IU daily maintenance dose. Big Grin

Also my cholesterol had been such that the NP wanted me to be on Simvastatin and I'd not gotten on it because I was just a little leery of it. Anyway, latest labwork shows normal cholesterol levels. So doubly good news!

My incisions from getting my tubal sterilization done are pretty much totally healed up. No scabs anymore - just red scars or whatnot. Getting that tubal has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. So glad I was brave enough to do it.

It seems like there was something else.... oh yeah! Facepalm

So, my ex-husband is being a douche about it in a way, but he gave our 15 year old daughter the option now of whether or not she wants to go with him on his weekends. She has opted not to. The douche part is that pretty much he has said that sure she doesn't have to go, but they might be doing something fun that weekend and they won't tell her what their plans are unless she is already with them. And also yesterday when he picked up my son, he didn't even talk to my daughter. Just sent my son over to ask if she was going or not. So that's been good and bad in different ways but at least she doesn't have to go anymore.

And, so long as my ex isn't giving me bad information (entirely possible) then his mom and her husband are going to pay for my daughter's online driving course. Smile I think the information is accurate because this totally sounds like something my ex mil would do. She was always very nice to me and good to the kids.

Oh! There is just too much good news. Blush Rev totally won me this awesome little devil plush dude from a skill crane machine at the Chinese buffet we go to! Big Grin

[Image: 4X28lkA.jpg]

I love Imgur so much. Can't get over it. Heart

Oh! Jesus I keep coming up with more stuff. Blush

I don't think I mentioned this either but we found a good book on sex education for my kiddos. Smile Sex for Dummies - lol. Srsly it's great. Dr. Ruth is awesome. Had "the talk" with the boy the other day as well. Needed to be done, and honestly it wasn't so bad. And thanks to Rev, he got a good male perspective on things - thank you so much, Rev! Didn't think my son's dad was ever going to have the discussion with him and it just seems like one of those things that's best done by a member of the same gender. Smile I was in the same room, though, and offered commentary. Laugh out load It wasn't so awkward, honestly, though my son just about wanted to die a few times. Tongue

[+] 6 users Like Escape Artist's post
24-10-2016, 06:13 PM
The homeless shelter was short staffed today, so the organization that I’m volunteering for sent me to answer phones for them. The phone rang all of three times, so I pretty much did nothing today. Sad But I did have the pleasure of overhearing a really funny conversation from some residents. Mind you, this was a very serious conversation intended to inform one another for the sake of their health and well-being.

The first man walks in with a sugarless energy drink and sees another man and woman that he seems to know.

Woman: Oh, those sugar-free drinks are bad for you. They’ve got all sorts of things of bad things in there.
Man 2: Yeah, you should be drinking something else.
Woman: You know what’s good for you? Wine.
Man 2: Yeah, wine is better. It’s made of grapes.
Woman: Yeah, that’s fruit. It’s good for you.
Man 1: What about vodka?
Man 2: Vodka is probably good for you. Better than that sugar-free energy drink you’ve got there.
Man 1: What about whiskey?
Woman: Yeah, whiskey ought to have some good stuff in there, too.
Man 2: It’s made of grain, so it's got to be good for you too.
Woman: You better stay away from those energy drinks, though. Get you some wine or whiskey.

[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post