Small Town Living

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2017, 05:23 PM
RE: Small Town Living
(09-06-2017 07:54 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Living in a mostly Republican area, I can tell my fair share of moments where redneck farmers, whose IQ was 'The temperature of the room' (Read that somewhere, thought it was funny.). I can say certainly I know mostly what it's like to have hard times being a rational person in the midst of very illogical people.

One that really sticks to me is when everyone in my highschool, Patrick Henry Highschool, thought 'All wars are caused by women.' was a fact. Whenever I stood up for the fact I'm a women and I say women can be as strong as men. I was laughed at and when giving a fact that child birth is higher than the pain declaims in which a person should pass out, but yet a women is often awake, I was asked 'Have you ever had a child.'. It was embarrassing as I froze up, thinking back on it I should have said back. 'Have you, I can imagine pushing a baby out of that hole you call you ass would be really hard.'

Other times it felt like everyone ignored me. Whenever I had a good idea that would work, I was ignored and/or called an idiot. I was expected to sit back and let a 'Authority Figure' tell me what to say and do.

When asked what I wanted to do with my life, I would often say 'I don't know... Maybe get a job, support myself.' again I was laughed at. Everyone women there told me they wanted to.
'Get married, have kids, live at home.'

I just never could see myself letting another hold me up. I wanted to do things, to get out there and be happy because I saw something new or did something new. What's the point in living in a small town just to always stay there? Often in this town I was pushed, since going to middle school, to find a guy I liked to get used to dating. But, I can often remember I was never interested in men, I never found myself swooning over them like other girls would when talking about them. I couldn't see the appeal in two guys throwing ball or wrestling each other.
Because of this I was pushed away, like I was the Belle or something of the whole school. Some pretty nasty rumors spread because of this.

But this isn't a sob story, just recounting the events of my childhood. Often times we like to think we've moved on from the whole 'Village of men and hard working women at home.' cliche. But, they are dotted all over the US, and I have to say I might have lived in one.

Personally I feel I am lucky to have pulled away from this 'Village' and bothered to think for myself.

Anyone else had a life like this?

The childbirth thing reminded of the prefect come back: Hay you, pull your upper lip out as far as the pain will allow, now pull it over your head [Image: b0215.gif]

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2017, 07:23 AM
Small Town Living
I live in a very spread out unincorporated "Village" in the forest. Can't see neighbors, have a dirt/mud road, lots of snow all winter. Almost no services. All my vehicles are 4x4. Very quite and fully of wildlife and trees and stars. BUT I can be in a city of a million with all the goodies within 30-40 minutes. Kind of a trade off I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
18-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Living in the dead center of the bible belt I can not wait to get out of here. I live about 25 miles outside the largest city in the state and actually work as a Fire Captain for that city. But the racial undertones and backward culture I can not stand.
The city I live in is what you would consider a "bedroom" community outside the city. It's a nice smaller town where everything is close that you would need. But I despise the state that I live in. I can not find one redeeming quality to this state. In 4 years we are moving to Colorado. Hopefully Durango since it's a small town in the southwest part of the state with people that are more in my line of thinking. Along with all the activities that I enjoy It is my most special place on this earth. We travel there at least twice a year and my wife and I were married there 17 years ago so it holds a special place in my heart.
I've applied for retirement from the FD and with a little luck it will hopefully be finalized within the next month. I'm 47 with what I hope to be many years left on this earth to enjoy my retirement.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
19-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Small Town Living
(18-06-2017 11:22 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Living in the dead center of the bible belt I can not wait to get out of here. I live about 25 miles outside the largest city in the state and actually work as a Fire Captain for that city. But the racial undertones and backward culture I can not stand.
The city I live in is what you would consider a "bedroom" community outside the city. It's a nice smaller town where everything is close that you would need. But I despise the state that I live in. I can not find one redeeming quality to this state. In 4 years we are moving to Colorado. Hopefully Durango since it's a small town in the southwest part of the state with people that are more in my line of thinking. Along with all the activities that I enjoy It is my most special place on this earth. We travel there at least twice a year and my wife and I were married there 17 years ago so it holds a special place in my heart.
I've applied for retirement from the FD and with a little luck it will hopefully be finalized within the next month. I'm 47 with what I hope to be many years left on this earth to enjoy my retirement.

If you get to Durango hit me up. I'll buy you a beer. I'm up there all the time

[+] 1 user Likes treefireguy's post
19-06-2017, 09:52 PM
(19-06-2017 09:47 PM)treefireguy Wrote:  
(18-06-2017 11:22 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Living in the dead center of the bible belt I can not wait to get out of here. I live about 25 miles outside the largest city in the state and actually work as a Fire Captain for that city. But the racial undertones and backward culture I can not stand.

If you get to Durango hit me up. I'll buy you a beer. I'm up there all the time

Thank you for the offer but I got sober about 6 years ago. I'd be happy to meet for coffee though Smile

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.