Small talk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Small talk
OK, I admit it, small talk makes me want to cut my veins.

MIL and wife's aunt in town and the conversations are killing me.

First the person being talked bout has to be precisely identified and family tree regurgitated before you can even start telling the story, assuming there is a story to tell.

Example:

My best friend's daughter, married to YXZ, went to school at So&So U. and now works for ABC, she has an adorable baby named Whatever. Anyway a month ago, or was that two? It may have been two because my brother's wife was visiting us at the time with her two lovely kids who are 4 & 5, named This and That. Yes, it was two months ago...anyway my best friend's daughter who happens to have such great taste in clothes and you should see how she has decorated her house! Just lovely. Anyway...

Just fucking kill me. Weeping

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Full Circle's post
11-10-2014, 05:20 PM
RE: Small talk
I'm not fan of small talk, but I tend to feel socially obliged to make it, no matter how uncomfortable I feel...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
11-10-2014, 05:22 PM
I saw the tile of his thread, and my whole body tensed up. In other words, I'm so sorry you are dealing with this Hug

I don't mind small talk with my immediate family, or close friends, but anyone else.... I'd rather do public speaking.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
11-10-2014, 05:27 PM
(11-10-2014 05:22 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I saw the tile of his thread, and my whole body tensed up. In other words, I'm so sorry you are dealing with this Hug

I don't mind small talk with my immediate family, or close friends, but anyone else.... I'd rather do public speaking.

Yeah, small talk with random people is horrible!

So... Did you see the game last night? Drinking Beverage

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
11-10-2014, 05:42 PM
(11-10-2014 05:22 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I saw the tile of his thread, and my whole body tensed up. In other words, I'm so sorry you are dealing with this Hug

During one of these episodes I feel myself floating out of my body, eyes glaze over, breathing slows down to nothing, mind begins to go dark, small points of light dance in front of my eyes and I begin to lose consciousness.

Just at that moment I hear what sounds like my name from a great distance away. There it is again, my name. Just then I come out of the trance to hear, "So what do you think?"

I have no fucking clue what I think because I have no idea what you are talking about. You lost me ten minutes ago when you were describing the lovely pattern on the china. Shocking

Help me!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
11-10-2014, 05:45 PM
(11-10-2014 05:09 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  OK, I admit it, small talk makes me want to cut my veins.

First the person being talked bout has to be precisely identified and family tree regurgitated before you can even start telling the story, assuming there is a story to tell.

Example:

My best friend's daughter, married to YXZ, went to school at So&So U. and now works for ABC, she has an adorable baby named Whatever. Anyway a month ago, or was that two? It may have been two because my brother's wife was visiting us at the time with her two lovely kids who are 4 & 5, named This and That. Yes, it was two months ago...anyway my best friend's daughter who happens to have such great taste in clothes and you should see how she has decorated her house! Just lovely. Anyway...

That was waaaay too nice. There have to be tiny bits of gossip that can start rumors thrown in for good measure. (I'm sorry Anjele, just an example and I'm glad you're still posting with updates that you haven't kicked the bucket Tongue). Here's my version of pseudo concern small talk Alabama style:

Hey guys. Isn't it lovely outside? The trees are changing color, fall is just so beautiful. With the weather getting cooler, it looks like flu season is getting a kickstart. Did you hear about poor Anjele? The doll is at home sick with the flu. I hope she's ok. I think she lives near the US ebola outbreak. I hear ebola has a lot of similar symptoms to the flu. You don't think she has it do you? Her poor family. They must be up in arms over it. Hopefully she feels better, soon. Bless her heart, she must feel like she's been run over by a dump truck. She's probably home alone snorting, snotting, sneezing. Sounds miserable. Why don't we send her a card.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
11-10-2014, 05:45 PM
(11-10-2014 05:27 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

Yeah, small talk with random people is horrible!

These aren't random people, they are my wife's family.

Wait, there was a game?

11-10-2014, 05:49 PM
(11-10-2014 05:45 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(11-10-2014 05:09 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  OK, I admit it, small talk makes me want to cut my veins.

Example:

That was waaaay too nice. There have to be tiny bits of gossip that can start rumors thrown in for good measure. (I'm sorry Anjele, just an example and I'm glad you're still posting with updates that you haven't kicked the bucket Tongue). Here's my version of pseudo concern small talk Alabama style:

Hey guys. Isn't it lovely outside? The trees are changing color, fall is just so beautiful. With the weather getting cooler, it looks like flu season is getting a kickstart. Did you hear about poor Anjele? The doll is at home sick with the flu. I hope she's ok. I think she lives near the US ebola outbreak. I hear ebola has a lot of similar symptoms to the flu. You don't think she has it do you? Her poor family. They must be up in arms over it. Hopefully she feels better, soon. Bless her heart, she must feel like she's been run over by a dump truck. She's probably home alone snorting, snotting, sneezing. Sounds miserable. Why don't we send her a card.

Coincidentally these folks ARE from Alabama! They are syrupy sweet and talk in 3/4 time...it all makes my nose bleed from holding my breath and waiting to exhale while anticipating the end of a four minute long run-on sentence.

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
11-10-2014, 05:54 PM
(11-10-2014 05:45 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(11-10-2014 05:27 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Yeah, small talk with random people is horrible!

These aren't random people, they are my wife's family.

Wait, there was a game?

I was responding to Smerc...
Quote:I don't mind small talk with my immediate family, or close friends, but anyone else.... I'd rather do public speaking.

11-10-2014, 06:00 PM
(11-10-2014 05:54 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(11-10-2014 05:45 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  These aren't random people, they are my wife's family.

Wait, there was a game?

I was responding to Smerc...
Quote:I don't mind small talk with my immediate family, or close friends, but anyone else.... I'd rather do public speaking.

See what happens to me? I get exposure to non-stop small talk and I begin to lose my faculties.

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post