Small talk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2014, 06:09 PM
RE: Small talk
(11-10-2014 05:49 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(11-10-2014 05:45 PM)Nurse Wrote:  That was waaaay too nice. There have to be tiny bits of gossip that can start rumors thrown in for good measure. (I'm sorry Anjele, just an example and I'm glad you're still posting with updates that you haven't kicked the bucket Tongue). Here's my version of pseudo concern small talk Alabama style:

Hey guys. Isn't it lovely outside? The trees are changing color, fall is just so beautiful. With the weather getting cooler, it looks like flu season is getting a kickstart. Did you hear about poor Anjele? The doll is at home sick with the flu. I hope she's ok. I think she lives near the US ebola outbreak. I hear ebola has a lot of similar symptoms to the flu. You don't think she has it do you? Her poor family. They must be up in arms over it. Hopefully she feels better, soon. Bless her heart, she must feel like she's been run over by a dump truck. She's probably home alone snorting, snotting, sneezing. Sounds miserable. Why don't we send her a card.

Coincidentally these folks ARE from Alabama! They are syrupy sweet and talk in 3/4 time...it all makes my nose bleed from holding my breath and waiting to exhale while anticipating the end of a four minute long run-on sentence.

Bowing Laugh out load

so true Weeping

Get them talking about how Auburn just had their ass handed to them. At least it will get them off the topic of aunt Betsy sue's dog's vet's ex wife's new boyfriend's illegitimate child that's gone the way of satan

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
11-10-2014, 06:28 PM
(11-10-2014 06:09 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(11-10-2014 05:49 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Coincidentally these folks ARE from Alabama! They are syrupy sweet and talk in 3/4 time...it all makes my nose bleed from holding my breath and waiting to exhale while anticipating the end of a four minute long run-on sentence.

Bowing Laugh out load

so true Weeping

Get them talking about how Auburn just had their ass handed to them. At least it will get them off the topic of aunt Betsy sue's dog's vet's ex wife's new boyfriend's illegitimate child that's gone the way of satan

Incredibly enough they are at the moment watching Alabama vs Arkansas and it's been the quietest it's been for hours.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
11-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Isn't the weather just beautiful today! Too bad Anjele can't enjoy it with us, the poor thing. She is home with the flu, but I heard that it is really ebola. And the sweet girl is still so young...

Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
11-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Whenever I meet someone new at whatever gathering I don't want to be at, after some small talk I can never remember their names. Selective memory I think, or maybe traumatic memory loss?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
11-10-2014, 07:56 PM
(11-10-2014 06:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  Isn't the weather just beautiful today! Too bad Anjele can't enjoy it with us, the poor thing. She is home with the flu, but I heard that it is really ebola. And the sweet girl is still so young...

Tongue

Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
12-10-2014, 07:01 AM
(11-10-2014 05:09 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Example:

My best friend's daughter, married to YXZ, went to school at So&So U. and now works for ABC, she has an adorable baby named Whatever. Anyway a month ago, or was that two? It may have been two because .........

[Image: e3de6d01672c80eb911687827a3fd98a9aa08387...3e29e0.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
12-10-2014, 09:31 AM
I just found the perfect word to describe the "conversations" = megillah

noun:
slang : a long involved story or account

EXAMPLES

Instead of just saying she was running late, Lynette went into the whole megillah of why her appointment would have to be rescheduled.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
12-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Look for the 6 degrees thing
and then people become a bit more interesting. No matter their chatter.

Lol

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
12-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Southern dialogue includes extra syllables, extra words, and whenever possible historical and/or weather references. A recounting of the genealogy of anyone mentioned is just icing on the red velvet cake.

Bless their hearts.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
12-10-2014, 10:39 AM
(12-10-2014 10:22 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Southern dialogue includes extra syllables, extra words, and whenever possible historical and/or weather references. A recounting of the genealogy of anyone mentioned is just icing on the red velvet cake.

Bless their hearts.

Yeah, my uncle from Boston loved to point that out to me and was influential in raising my consciousness about it.

Wait...Is red velvet cake just a southern thing?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman