Small talk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2014, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 10:51 AM by Anjele.)
RE: Small talk
(12-10-2014 10:39 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 10:22 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Southern dialogue includes extra syllables, extra words, and whenever possible historical and/or weather references. A recounting of the genealogy of anyone mentioned is just icing on the red velvet cake.

Bless their hearts.

Yeah, my uncle from Boston loved to point that out to me and was influential in raising my consciousness about it.

Wait...Is red velvet cake just a southern thing?

Why yes hon. Those darn Yankees just can't make a red velvet cake and icing to do it any justice. Mzzzzz Barlow, who lives over by where the old Dairy Queen was, made absolutely the best icing for her red velvet cake. You know she always brought it to the church luncheons and it even won a ribbon at the county fair. Her father was the undertaker over in Blahblah county for years until he drank himself to death, at least that's the story. So sad that his poor wife had to raise all those yunguns by herself and just barely scraped by. But I heard tell that that the pastor over at the DixieGod church took a special interest in her and helped to make sure that the poor woman and her precious chillens were taken care of. Of course it's only speculation that there was anything untoward going on between them, what with him being a man of the cloth and all. But I suppose it was her mother that taught her how to make that wonderful icing and it could be that the pastor helped her win those ribbons but that's a story for another day....

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
12-10-2014, 10:52 AM
I've always wanted my mother in law to meet my sister in law. I have debates with my husband about who would die first. They are both excruciating in different ways. The one thing they have in common is that the chatter is relentless and you are only ever the recipient of the small-talk, not someone who participates in it. The mother-in-law is very proud of being Scottish and the sister-in-law is a judgemental Christian who goes off in a strop for the slightest reason.

If I could get them all in the same room with my godmother who is a Daily Mail reading snob from the Home counties of England then it would make for some interesting fireworks, especially as they each have completely different prejudices based on unsubstantiated stories that they have heard. If I ever have to spend Christmas with them all I have threatened to steadily ply them all with increasing amounts of alcohol to provide me some entertainment.

Mother-in-law

Quote:"So I was walking X to the park when I thought I would pop into the shop for some dog treats because the he really likes the ones they sell there far better than the doggy treats you can buy in Tesco but I prefer to go to Tesco because the cost of milk is cheaper and both places are in opposite directions so I have to get the number 37 bus to one or walk to the other but if I walk then I have to carry the shopping back with me which is difficult if I am trying to walk the dog but Y over the road suggested that I should get one of those body harnesses rather than a choke collar for X ..."

Sister-in-law

Quote:"I really feel sorry for people who people who do X because I feel that there is something lacking from their lives such as you would get from following Jesus but some people are just misled by evil and they just need someone there to guide them because I feel that everyone needs a chance but if they aren't willing to accept help when it's given to them then they really miss out on something that can enrich their lives so I find it incredibly sad that they don't all think like me ..."

Godmother

Quote:"Well I blame the rising tide of immigrants in this country and all because we're part of Europe and you know we're not even allowed to demonstrate any form of Christian faith at work now because it might offend someone and goes against their so-called 'human rights' I say that we should send them all back to where they come from but what can you do especially with the younger generation who are only interested in gadgets and who don't want to work when in my day you had to get off your arse and go knocking on people's doors and make a living and this is why I am living in a house worth a million pounds with a pension even though education was free and you didn't need a degree to get a good job"
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
12-10-2014, 10:56 AM
(12-10-2014 09:31 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I just found the perfect word to describe the "conversations" = megillah

noun:
slang : a long involved story or account

Ah, childhood... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magilla_Gorilla

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
12-10-2014, 10:57 AM
(12-10-2014 10:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 10:39 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Wait...Is red velvet cake just a southern thing?

Why yes hon.

Weeping

Here's a cake for all y'all. I may make this tomorrow.
[Image: DSC01651.jpg]

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
12-10-2014, 11:01 AM
(12-10-2014 10:57 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Wait...Is red velvet cake just a southern thing?
(12-10-2014 10:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Why yes hon.

Hmmm... I grew up in New England and red velvet cake was a favorite for my sister. Never could stand it myself but, then again, I don't like cake in general (I know, heathen!Big Grin)

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
12-10-2014, 12:20 PM
(12-10-2014 10:57 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 10:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Why yes hon.

Weeping

Here's a cake for all y'all. I may make this tomorrow.
[Image: DSC01651.jpg]

Ill be over tomorrow. Bout what time??

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
12-10-2014, 12:47 PM
(12-10-2014 11:01 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 10:57 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Wait...Is red velvet cake just a southern thing?

Hmmm... I grew up in New England and red velvet cake was a favorite for my sister. Never could stand it myself but, then again, I don't like cake in general (I know, heathen!Big Grin)

'Blasphemer' would be more accurate. Censored

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2014, 03:29 PM
My parents are here visiting my MIL and wife's aunt and my dad hasn't shut up in an hour, I this my wife's aunt's head is about to explode.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
12-10-2014, 03:36 PM
(12-10-2014 03:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  My parents are here visiting my MIL and wife's aunt and my dad hasn't shut up in an hour, I this my wife's aunt's head is about to explode.

I think I prefer withering away in quarantine with the flu. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
12-10-2014, 05:23 PM
(12-10-2014 03:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 03:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  My parents are here visiting my MIL and wife's aunt and my dad hasn't shut up in an hour, I this my wife's aunt's head is about to explode.

I think I prefer withering away in quarantine with the flu. Tongue

I heard you had Ebola! Shocking

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post