Small things that make you frown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2017, 08:59 AM
RE: Small things that make you frown
(06-05-2017 10:41 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Okay, finals are over. I have nothing to do.

... I'm bored out of my mind.

Come to my school. I'll get you a wig and some glasses and you can take my history final. Tongue

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
10-05-2017, 07:54 AM
I'm grading Finals in my first class (may as well use the room for the rest of the allotted time). People have marked some of the following things:
  • Paul Ryan was the Congressman killed at Jonestown
  • The Fremen were the assassins who fought the Romans in occupied Judea (part of this Final is on the history of terrorism)
  • The Cult of the Bishop Arius poisoned Tokyo's subway system
  • Jamestown is where the People's Temple committed mass suicide.
  • And my personal facepalm favorite, the act of disloyalty to one's nation is "Esta no es la respueta". (This is not the answer.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
10-05-2017, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2017 09:16 AM by Free Thought.)
(10-05-2017 07:54 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  [*]And my personal facepalm favorite, the act of disloyalty to one's nation is "Esta no es la respueta". (This is not the answer.)

Credit where it's due right? It's not like that statement is wrong, per se... Confused

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
10-05-2017, 10:01 AM
(10-05-2017 07:54 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I'm grading Finals in my first class (may as well use the room for the rest of the allotted time). People have marked some of the following things:
  • The Fremen were the assassins who fought the Romans in occupied Judea (part of this Final is on the history of terrorism)
  • And my personal facepalm favorite, the act of disloyalty to one's nation is "Esta no es la respueta". (This is not the answer.)

I think I have a bruise from face-palming myself. I thought you taught college?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-05-2017, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2017 10:54 AM by Shai Hulud.)
(10-05-2017 08:59 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 07:54 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  [*]And my personal facepalm favorite, the act of disloyalty to one's nation is "Esta no es la respueta". (This is not the answer.)

Credit where it's due right? It's not like that statement is wrong, per se... Confused
True....but for the question...heh. Given a non-insignificant numbers of my students are bilingual, I thought listing that as D on a question was sort of a help, but I guess not to everyone.

(10-05-2017 10:01 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 07:54 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I'm grading Finals in my first class (may as well use the room for the rest of the allotted time). People have marked some of the following things:

I think I have a bruise from face-palming myself. I thought you taught college?

I do... Facepalm Those are from my 200 level Criminology class. Granted most people did not wrongly mark any of those, but still...

I guess at least no racist notes on my tests thus far? Coworker can't say that unfortunately. Angry

Edit: The university gives them two hour time slots for exams, most people are there right at the start. I just had a young woman walk in for this 101 one going "I overslept" with 7 minutes to do 50 questions.

10-05-2017, 10:56 AM

---Paul Ryan was the Congressman killed at Jonestown.

Is it wrong to pine for something in a kind of retroactive way? Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
10-05-2017, 11:21 AM
Big Grin

[Image: 571410f9f581e2830209d02ff29deb89.jpg]

Sadcryface

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
10-05-2017, 11:40 AM
(10-05-2017 10:43 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Edit: The university gives them two hour time slots for exams, most people are there right at the start. I just had a young woman walk in for this 101 one going "I overslept" with 7 minutes to do 50 questions.

Oh, can I share a stupid finals moment despite not being the teacher?

My history professor made it really clear from the start of the semester that he doesn't like people having cell phones out in class. Before the test started he told us to turn the phones off because if it went off it would be considered an obstruction of the class, and you going to turn it off would be seen as you trying to cheat.

So, naturally, maybe fifty minutes in, someone's phone goes off.

The professor looked so pissed when he took it and headed out the door I thought he was going to throw it into the trashcan.

I can understand not turning it off and just muting it and shoving it in your bag or somewhere where no one will see if the light goes on, but not even shutting the volume off just seems impressively stupid.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
10-05-2017, 12:20 PM
(10-05-2017 11:40 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 10:43 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Edit: The university gives them two hour time slots for exams, most people are there right at the start. I just had a young woman walk in for this 101 one going "I overslept" with 7 minutes to do 50 questions.

Oh, can I share a stupid finals moment despite not being the teacher?

My history professor made it really clear from the start of the semester that he doesn't like people having cell phones out in class. Before the test started he told us to turn the phones off because if it went off it would be considered an obstruction of the class, and you going to turn it off would be seen as you trying to cheat.

So, naturally, maybe fifty minutes in, someone's phone goes off.

The professor looked so pissed when he took it and headed out the door I thought he was going to throw it into the trashcan.

I can understand not turning it off and just muting it and shoving it in your bag or somewhere where no one will see if the light goes on, but not even shutting the volume off just seems impressively stupid.

We have a similar policy at chess tournaments (if your phone rings during the game, you lose -- no excuses accepted). We clearly state this policy at the beginning of each round, and have it posted on the walls, and yet we often have cell phone forfeits. Sometimes people just forget. I have both won and lost games by this method.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
10-05-2017, 07:15 PM
Those policies sound lovely! Wonder if your prof, Cleverusername, did what one of my old psych profs did. She answered the phone call, "No [student] isn't available right now. We're having class..."

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post