Small things that make you frown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2017, 07:48 AM
RE: Small things that make you frown
(08-09-2017 05:53 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 02:33 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Just got home from my fathers memorial service. Still hard to believe he is gone.

Sorry for your loss Hug

--

Relative just sent me, "Solar eclipse on the 21st, Hurricane on the 25th-26th. Luke 21: 25-26 READ IT!"

It reads:
“There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken."

I replied, "I think it's a coincidence personally!" and got back "Well I think it's divine providence!"

Wow, totally shocking that between 70 CE (when Luke was written) and 2017 there would be a solar eclipse and a hurricane (during hurricane season no less) in close proximity of each other. I mean the odds are just staggering Rolleyes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-09-2017, 08:53 AM
(08-09-2017 02:33 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Just got home from my fathers memorial service. Still hard to believe he is gone.

Hug

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
09-09-2017, 09:48 AM
(09-09-2017 07:48 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 05:53 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Sorry for your loss Hug

--

Relative just sent me, "Solar eclipse on the 21st, Hurricane on the 25th-26th. Luke 21: 25-26 READ IT!"

It reads:
“There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken."

I replied, "I think it's a coincidence personally!" and got back "Well I think it's divine providence!"

Wow, totally shocking that between 70 CE (when Luke was written) and 2017 there would be a solar eclipse and a hurricane (during hurricane season no less) in close proximity of each other. I mean the odds are just staggering Rolleyes

And then, to add to the snark, that the 3 dates involved could be linked to 3 verses whose numbers were arbitrarily assigned at a later date, plus somehow deciding to use Luke's Gospel.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
09-09-2017, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 11:16 AM by jennybee.)
(09-09-2017 09:48 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(09-09-2017 07:48 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Wow, totally shocking that between 70 CE (when Luke was written) and 2017 there would be a solar eclipse and a hurricane (during hurricane season no less) in close proximity of each other. I mean the odds are just staggering Rolleyes

And then, to add to the snark, that the 3 dates involved could be linked to 3 verses whose numbers were arbitrarily assigned at a later date, plus somehow deciding to use Luke's Gospel.

Why wouldn't God name the hurricane Luke then Hobo Classic example of pattern making behavior. Taking two (or more) events totally unrelated and seeing a random pattern. It's the human condition (survival technique) via evolution.

I've seen them do the same thing with a Deuteronomy passage, which coincides with the Jewish calendar which "supposedly" coincides with Israel 1948. Except Deuteronomy (30) isn't talking about 1948 Israel--like at all--they're talking about the conquest of Canaanite cities. Xtians love to take passages out of context.

Anyway, I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Hug
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-09-2017, 06:32 PM
So yeah, there's going to be a great pair of lectures on the works of Rabbi Abraham Heschel on Monday here. One is in the morning, one is in the evening. I'd go, but...Monday is my 8am to 9pm day of teaching. Facepalm Last semester was the first since coming here that I didn't have class on a Monday night, and it seemed like there was nothing I wanted to go to that whole time. Something pops up I want to? Nope, first session of night class. Tongue

(09-09-2017 10:37 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(09-09-2017 09:48 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  And then, to add to the snark, that the 3 dates involved could be linked to 3 verses whose numbers were arbitrarily assigned at a later date, plus somehow deciding to use Luke's Gospel.

Why wouldn't God name the hurricane Luke then Hobo Classic example of pattern making behavior. Taking two (or more) events totally unrelated and seeing a random pattern. It's the human condition (survival technique) via evolution.

I've seen them do the same thing with a Deuteronomy passage, which coincides with the Jewish calendar which "supposedly" coincides with Israel 1948. Except Deuteronomy (30) isn't talking about 1948 Israel--like at all--they're talking about the conquest of Canaanite cities. Xtians love to take passages out of context.

Anyway, I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Hug
Obviously because evil atheists named it Harvey. Had they been listening, they would have named it Luke. Wink (Kidding.) I've seen people do the same thing with the Deuteronomy passage and the bird of the nation of Israel as well, and still others claim similar patterns to point out how we're gonna build that Third Temple to help usher in the apocalypse any day now...any day.

Also recently had one relative tell me a story of a "sign" her worship leader friend saw in a seminary class (as he's studying to be a minister). The professor said something that made the students all shoot each other looks because it was something the denomination teaches is essentially heretical, and then the prof's phone had Siri say "no" or something like that out of the blue, and everyone was convinced God was speaking through Siri.

And thanks! Hug

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
09-09-2017, 07:07 PM
My mother asked me to help her with her church's event today. Some are friendly, but she doesn't know I'm atheist. Met the new minister. She seems nice.

It felt awkward. My brother (also atheist) couldn't attend. So I felt alone.
09-09-2017, 07:37 PM
(09-09-2017 07:07 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  My mother asked me to help her with her church's event today. Some are friendly, but she doesn't know I'm atheist. Met the new minister. She seems nice.

It felt awkward. My brother (also atheist) couldn't attend. So I felt alone.

*hugs*
09-09-2017, 08:26 PM

So sorry.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
09-09-2017, 08:47 PM

Just saw this...I'm so sorry.
09-09-2017, 08:51 PM
Though I am thankful for the care I received (and the fact that medical personnel saved my life) I look like a beating victim.

I have always bruised easily but DAMN!

I have a huge bruise where they went into the femoral artery. The back of one hand is purple and the other hand full of punctures and smaller bruises. There are bruises all over my arms and the back of one leg as well as a huge one on my chest and my right foot (where they had to draw blood). I can feel deep bruising where I got two injections into my stomach. BLAH!

This collection of bruises ranges from a very deep purple to starting to turn yellow.

Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat