Small things that make you frown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2016, 02:37 PM
RE: Small things that make you frown
(13-07-2016 10:15 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Just as the light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer it gets snuffed out.

My job was eliminated today. I am now unemployed. Yes, it was a shit job...but it was a job. I will get a little bit of severance. Since I am still getting emails from recruiters I will start looking at them more seriously next week...I am taking the rest of this week off.

It's probably a good thing all the way around since the company is planning to relocate the office to the other side of the city which would increase my weekly commute by over 300 miles and add tolls to my commuting cost.

This was probably HRs way of dealing with my asshole boss because they glossed over his behavior and no one from HR talked to me until today.

2016 really sucks. It's just one thing after another. Undecided

I believe I urged you to not trust these people and to find a new job. Consider

I'm not one to say ...

But, yeah, that sucks. Good luck on the job search. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-07-2016, 03:48 PM
(13-07-2016 10:15 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Just as the light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer it gets snuffed out.

My job was eliminated today. I am now unemployed. Yes, it was a shit job...but it was a job. I will get a little bit of severance. Since I am still getting emails from recruiters I will start looking at them more seriously next week...I am taking the rest of this week off.

It's probably a good thing all the way around since the company is planning to relocate the office to the other side of the city which would increase my weekly commute by over 300 miles and add tolls to my commuting cost.

This was probably HRs way of dealing with my asshole boss because they glossed over his behavior and no one from HR talked to me until today.

They're assholes.

I'm sorry. Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-07-2016, 03:50 PM
(13-07-2016 02:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  

I believe I urged you to not trust these people and to find a new job. Consider

I'm not one to say ...

Yeah, I know. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
13-07-2016, 04:29 PM
(13-07-2016 03:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(13-07-2016 02:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  I believe I urged you to not trust these people and to find a new job. Consider

I'm not one to say ...

Yeah, I know. Undecided

Hug Hey, you've got some time off and some severance pay. Take some you time. You've got valuable skills, you'll find another job Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
13-07-2016, 04:31 PM
(13-07-2016 04:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-07-2016 03:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Yeah, I know. Undecided

Hug Hey, you've got some time off and some severance pay. Take some you time. You've got valuable skills, you'll find another job Smile

Tomorrow I am putting my 'floating in the pool listening to music' skills to the test. Wink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
13-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Hope things get better soon and enjoy that pool time first! Hug

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
13-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Fucked ourselves?

My buddy and I started our own business because we were disgusted with the practices of the companies we had worked for in the communications service. We worked together and as competitors and after work we would sit a a local bar and bitch and wine about how fucked up the companies we worked for were. It seemed like we kept having to do the same shit over and over. The companies refused to listen to or acknowledge our input.

Finally, one day we decided to break away and start our own company. A lot of the customers followed us and we made pretty good money for a while, but ...

As it turns out, we were pretty damn good as what we do and our ideas were fruitful and satisfying to the customers. So good, in fact, we no longer spend time fixing their equipment. It works great and is dependable. They do not need new equipment either.

Well, we had more work in any week from the first couple years than we have had since January of this year to now. We did too good a job. Damn!

"They think, therefore I am" - god
13-07-2016, 06:23 PM
(13-07-2016 05:28 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  Fucked ourselves?

My buddy and I started our own business because we were disgusted with the practices of the companies we had worked for in the communications service. We worked together and as competitors and after work we would sit a a local bar and bitch and wine about how fucked up the companies we worked for were. It seemed like we kept having to do the same shit over and over. The companies refused to listen to or acknowledge our input.

Finally, one day we decided to break away and start our own company. A lot of the customers followed us and we made pretty good money for a while, but ...

As it turns out, we were pretty damn good as what we do and our ideas were fruitful and satisfying to the customers. So good, in fact, we no longer spend time fixing their equipment. It works great and is dependable. They do not need new equipment either.

Well, we had more work in any week from the first couple years than we have had since January of this year to now. We did too good a job. Damn!

One could hope that word of mouth had spread and other customers would have flocked to you. Any idea why that didn't happen?
13-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Politics and sparsity. South Texas and not much here. Refineries are locked up and we'd rather avoid that environment anyway. Not Healthy.

We may have a really nice BIG project, by word of mouth, in about six months to a year. Politics of committees and fund allocation. A really big project for a small (only two of us and could use ten more when the project starts) company with a short history. Just gotta make it through 'til then. Food Stamps are starting to look good. Just hoping it won't get that bad.

SUX!

"They think, therefore I am" - god
14-07-2016, 12:15 AM
(13-07-2016 06:43 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  Politics and sparsity. South Texas and not much here. Refineries are locked up and we'd rather avoid that environment anyway. Not Healthy.

We may have a really nice BIG project, by word of mouth, in about six months to a year. Politics of committees and fund allocation. A really big project for a small (only two of us and could use ten more when the project starts) company with a short history. Just gotta make it through 'til then. Food Stamps are starting to look good. Just hoping it won't get that bad.

SUX!

I will always believe that doing a good job is the best thing. I'm just musing off the top of my head here, as one does, so it might be worthless... I suggest offering a maintenance contract when you install equipment, so that lets say 5 services in 5 years costs $X, and 5 services in 5 years without the contract costs $1.5X. Now, maybe your equipment doesn't need 5 services in 5 years, so in reality the customer might pay for 2 services in 5 years under normal conditions, but the customer will look at it as them saving money, and indeed you will be giving them a good deal, because you will be ensuring that the equipment is running correctly every year. You get a reputation for good work, for offering reasonable deals, and for keeping your equipment running smoothly, *and* you get a steady source of income to cover the lean periods.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.