Small things that make you frown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2014, 11:12 AM
RE: Small things that make you frown
(21-12-2014 09:36 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  It is really sinking in that I simply cannot tell my mom about the most important person in my life. She will be disappointed (for whatever reason - she WILL find one) as she always is. Mother/daughter relationships are the absolute worst. Dodgy

Oh, and also... feeling like the only person in this whole godforsaken state who isn't a religious nut-job. And yet I am the outcast.

This doesn't sound like a small thing. No
Hug we must be sisters - you just described my mother. Sorry you can't talk about your special person to her.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2014, 11:18 AM
(21-12-2014 11:12 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 09:36 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  It is really sinking in that I simply cannot tell my mom about the most important person in my life. She will be disappointed (for whatever reason - she WILL find one) as she always is. Mother/daughter relationships are the absolute worst. Dodgy

Oh, and also... feeling like the only person in this whole godforsaken state who isn't a religious nut-job. And yet I am the outcast.

This doesn't sound like a small thing. No
Hug we must be sisters - you just described my mother. Sorry you can't talk about your special person to her.

Thanks for the hugs, Nurse. Hug

11-01-2015, 12:49 AM
I fear I'm becoming more and more of an anti-theist. Which, that's probably not even the right word, so let me try to elaborate without getting too terribly wordy:

I find myself not just pitying or empathizing with theists, but almost loathing them at times. My parents bring up an issue with my children that they are concerned about and I want to snap back with "Why don't you just ask your precious god to fix it???"

Someone with a casual belief in God goes through a tragedy of some sort and I can, with damn near 100% certainty, accurately predict their next step - to start chugging down the Jesus juice with vigor. Something bad happens and oh, it was God chastising them so now they gotta shape up and it just makes me sick.

Folks talk about praying for someone or how "oh we need to pray for them" and my mind categorizes them as "idiot" and not worthy of my time. In fact, if/when (and it's usually *when* in this fucking backwater state) I find out someone is religious, I lose all interest in having much of anything to do with them.

How is this right? Or fair? It's certainly hypocritical - I myself drank the religious kool-aid for a long time. For most of my life if we're being completely forthcoming here. So how can I sit here and think of these people as idiotic and unworthy of my time? I was one of those idiots once. And people like Seth from TTA and Matt from The Atheist Experience did their stuff to reach idiots like me. Because they believed people like me *could* be reached.

I feel I'm doing a disservice to myself, to other atheists, and to theists by having these attitudes. I just am not sure what to do about it. I am still carrying a lot of old wounds and scars from this crap. And maybe this anger is just part of the healing process. But for now, it kind of makes me feel like a jerk. Undecided

[+] 8 users Like Escape Artist's post
11-01-2015, 08:55 AM
So....I'm going to go see the westboro baptists this morning.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
11-01-2015, 08:56 AM
(11-01-2015 08:55 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  So....I'm going to go see the westboro baptists this morning.

Take pictures!!!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
11-01-2015, 09:00 AM
(11-01-2015 08:56 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 08:55 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  So....I'm going to go see the westboro baptists this morning.

Take pictures!!!

Bring a sword.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 3 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
11-01-2015, 11:00 AM
Got a friend request from a very old friend from elementary/middle school. She moved away before high school, and I always figured it was for the best. She was headed down a very dark path. Sure enough, look through her page... In and out of prison, pictures of her brother drunk and puking. A story about how she was high and drunk one day, was taking a shit and wiped her ass on someone's tshirt. Quotes on her page about snitches go in ditches or something. Ranting about her dad sending her back to prison because she wouldn't give him money. Tattoo of the praying hands in handcuffs. Pictures of her in lingerie.

Ugh.... She is sending me private messages too that I'm sure fb tells her I've seen Facepalm I'm damn near 30, I don't need people like this in my life. Am I an awful person for wanting to avoid her at all costs? This girl is crazy with more than a temper problem.... I so do not want to deal with this.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
11-01-2015, 11:07 AM
(11-01-2015 12:49 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I fear I'm becoming more and more of an anti-theist. Which, that's probably not even the right word, so let me try to elaborate without getting too terribly wordy:

I find myself not just pitying or empathizing with theists, but almost loathing them at times. My parents bring up an issue with my children that they are concerned about and I want to snap back with "Why don't you just ask your precious god to fix it???"

Someone with a casual belief in God goes through a tragedy of some sort and I can, with damn near 100% certainty, accurately predict their next step - to start chugging down the Jesus juice with vigor. Something bad happens and oh, it was God chastising them so now they gotta shape up and it just makes me sick.

Folks talk about praying for someone or how "oh we need to pray for them" and my mind categorizes them as "idiot" and not worthy of my time. In fact, if/when (and it's usually *when* in this fucking backwater state) I find out someone is religious, I lose all interest in having much of anything to do with them.

How is this right? Or fair? It's certainly hypocritical - I myself drank the religious kool-aid for a long time. For most of my life if we're being completely forthcoming here. So how can I sit here and think of these people as idiotic and unworthy of my time? I was one of those idiots once. And people like Seth from TTA and Matt from The Atheist Experience did their stuff to reach idiots like me. Because they believed people like me *could* be reached.

I feel I'm doing a disservice to myself, to other atheists, and to theists by having these attitudes. I just am not sure what to do about it. I am still carrying a lot of old wounds and scars from this crap. And maybe this anger is just part of the healing process. But for now, it kind of makes me feel like a jerk. Undecided

Small thing? Don't think so.

It's not easy to empathise and very easy to de-humanise (perhaps I'm speaking for myself here, I dunno).

Perhaps it's worth trying to seeing them as victims of the memetic virus called 'Faith'.

Hug

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
11-01-2015, 11:12 AM
(11-01-2015 11:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 12:49 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I fear I'm becoming more and more of an anti-theist. Which, that's probably not even the right word, so let me try to elaborate without getting too terribly wordy:

Small thing? Don't think so.

It's not easy to empathise and very easy to de-humanise (perhaps I'm speaking for myself here, I dunno).

Perhaps it's worth trying to seeing them as victims of the memetic virus called 'Faith'.

Hug

Thanks, DLJ. I will try that. Hug

I grew up in a fundamentalist Christian home and a lot of folks around here are fundamentalist Baptists. The crazy really gets to me at times. Hobo

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
11-01-2015, 11:12 AM
(11-01-2015 11:00 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Got a friend request from a very old friend from elementary/middle school. She moved away before high school, and I always figured it was for the best. She was headed down a very dark path. Sure enough, look through her page... In and out of prison, pictures of her brother drunk and puking. A story about how she was high and drunk one day, was taking a shit and wiped her ass on someone's tshirt. Quotes on her page about snitches go in ditches or something. Ranting about her dad sending her back to prison because she wouldn't give him money. Tattoo of the praying hands in handcuffs. Pictures of her in lingerie.

Ugh.... She is sending me private messages too that I'm sure fb tells her I've seen Facepalm I'm damn near 30, I don't need people like this in my life. Am I an awful person for wanting to avoid her at all costs? This girl is crazy with more than a temper problem.... I so do not want to deal with this.

I am thinking an unfriend and a block are in order.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 8 users Like Anjele's post