Small things that make you frown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2016, 07:10 AM
RE: Small things that make you frown
(07-09-2016 06:56 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Not big at all, just a small frown. But Chair just sent us all this to innaugurate the new school year so we'll "know how the Freshmen view the world". It only serves to make even myself, the youngest of our faculty, feel old. "The Mindset List: The Beloit College Mindset List for the Class of 2020".

It includes such "I feel old now" gems as:
Since they arrived on this planet….
"The United States has always been at war"
"There has always been Ebay"
"Vladimir Putin has always been calling the shots at the Kremlin."
"The Sandy Hook tragedy is their Columbine."
"SpongeBob SquarePants has always lived at Bikini Bottom."
"“Nanny cams” have always been available to check up on the babysitter."
"While chads were hanging in Florida, they were potty training in all 50 states."
"John Elway and Wayne Gretzky have always been retired."
"Michael J. Fox has always spoken publicly about having Parkinson's disease."

There's a total of 60 at the link.

Spectacular. I'm old. Thanks, Shai. Dodgy

I was trying to get my day started off on the right foot.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
07-09-2016, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 07:42 AM by Loom.)
So my dad has bought into the whole dowsing-rod thing. The past few days he's been walking back and forth in our back yard with a little metal wire trying to find a water pipe that's currently clogged. I should have told him that it's all pseudoscience--every study done on it has found that you have no better chance at finding something with a dowsing rod than without one.

Now, he thinks he's found where the pipe is located and has gone and rented a big ol' digger machine. He's been tearing up the area on the side of our house. Surprise surprise, no pipe yet.

Facepalm

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
07-09-2016, 07:39 AM
(07-09-2016 07:10 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Spectacular. I'm old. Thanks, Shai. Dodgy

It passes.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-09-2016, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 09:39 AM by Shai Hulud.)
(07-09-2016 07:10 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 06:56 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Not big at all, just a small frown. But Chair just sent us all this to innaugurate the new school year so we'll "know how the Freshmen view the world". It only serves to make even myself, the youngest of our faculty, feel old. "The Mindset List: The Beloit College Mindset List for the Class of 2020".

It includes such "I feel old now" gems as:
Since they arrived on this planet….
"The United States has always been at war"
"There has always been Ebay"
"Vladimir Putin has always been calling the shots at the Kremlin."
"The Sandy Hook tragedy is their Columbine."
"SpongeBob SquarePants has always lived at Bikini Bottom."
"“Nanny cams” have always been available to check up on the babysitter."
"While chads were hanging in Florida, they were potty training in all 50 states."
"John Elway and Wayne Gretzky have always been retired."
"Michael J. Fox has always spoken publicly about having Parkinson's disease."

There's a total of 60 at the link.

Spectacular. I'm old. Thanks, Shai. Dodgy

According to one of my colleagues, Girly is right, and it passes...sorry to spread the old feeling in the frowning thread. I too was hoping to get the day off to a happy start before my Chair shared that.

A few more gems:
"Among those who have never been alive in their lifetime are Frank Sinatra, Phil Hartman, Matthew Shepard, Sonny Bono, and Flo-Jo."

"They disagree with their parents as to which was the “first” Star Wars episode." (Actually watched this one happen before.)

"A Bush and a Clinton have always been campaigning for something big."

"Snowboarding has always been an Olympic sport."

Edit: And by the class of 2024, the Freshmen will have been born after 9/11.

(07-09-2016 07:36 AM)Loom Wrote:  So my dad has bought into the whole dowsing-rod thing. The past few days he's been walking back and forth in our back yard with a little metal wire trying to find a water pipe that's currently clogged. I should have told him that it's all pseudoscience--every study done on it has found that you have no better chance at finding something with a dowsing rod than without one.

Now, he thinks he's found where the pipe is located and has gone and rented a big ol' digger machine. He's been tearing up the area on the side of our house. Surprise surprise, no pipe yet.

Facepalm

Erm...can't blame you for frowning as he tears up the lawn over a dowsing rod's say-so.

Edit: Now off to the first class for what I lovingly call "Syllabus Day". Also known as, "Add/drop isn't over, how many of you will still be here next Monday, if I don't let you go early on the first day my student evals take an unacceptably large hit, does anyone actually keep their students the entire time the first day besides my pal the Philosophy prof and my old stats prof?"

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2016, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 08:06 AM by Mr. Boston.)
I must've failed to disengage the asshole magnet in my car on my commute this morning. Twice I was honked at and given the finger over right-of-way issues where I was in the right. I approached a rotary (traffic circle if you're not from New England) and as is both law and custom ceded way to the traffic in the circle. The irate guy in the Subaru behind me was not having it and leaned on his horn, which I ignored. When there was an opening I entered the circle and he very aggressively accelerated in front of me, swerving to cut me off while flipping the bird. I was first to the circle and there was traffic there, they had the right of way!

Then not even half a mile later I was driving down a residential street and saw someone in a Land Rover apparently backing into their driveway. I proceeded in front of her just to get the horn and the finger again. Her intention, it seems, was to back into the driveway to change direction and she was just about to proceed forward out of the driveway when I drove by. I had zero way to anticipate what she was doing. So we both came to a screeching halt, then I proceeded again only to get another horn blast. I was in the road, she was in a driveway, I had the right of way!

We spend a lot of time worrying about this upcoming presidential election here in the USA. We're fucked regardless of the outcome - because we've become an exceedingly ignorant and selfish people. Our utter ignorance of the use of a directional signal AND of the basic concept that sometimes the other guy is legitimately FIRST are two of the most telling signs of our demise, seems to me. And it's not a problem with the younger Millennial generation - they don't drive/own cars anyway. Both these inconsiderate miscreants were 40-something Gen Xers.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
07-09-2016, 09:22 AM
(07-09-2016 07:45 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 07:10 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Spectacular. I'm old. Thanks, Shai. Dodgy

According to one of my colleagues, Girly is right, and it passes...sorry to spread the old feeling in the frowning thread. I too was hoping to get the day off to a happy start before my Chair shared that.

A few more gems:
"Among those who have never been alive in their lifetime are Frank Sinatra, Phil Hartman, Matthew Shepard, Sonny Bono, and Flo-Jo."

"They disagree with their parents as to which was the “first” Star Wars episode." (Actually watched this one happen before.)

(07-09-2016 07:36 AM)Loom Wrote:  So my dad has bought into the whole dowsing-rod thing. The past few days he's been walking back and forth in our back yard with a little metal wire trying to find a water pipe that's currently clogged. I should have told him that it's all pseudoscience--every study done on it has found that you have no better chance at finding something with a dowsing rod than without one.

Facepalm

Erm...can't blame you for frowning as he tears up the lawn over a dowsing rod's say-so.

Edit: Now off to the first class for what I lovingly call "Syllabus Day". Also known as, "Add/drop isn't over, how many of you will still be here next Monday, if I don't let you go early on the first day my student evals take an unacceptably large hit, does anyone actually keep their students the entire time the first day besides my pal the Philosophy prof and my old stats prof?"

Physics and math classes. Profs took roll, went over the syllabus, and started lecturing. One of my physics profs used to start 5 minutes early and end 5 minutes late. I got an extra half hour of quantum mechanics every week from that guy, as it met 3 times a week.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
07-09-2016, 09:38 AM
(07-09-2016 09:22 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 07:45 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  According to one of my colleagues, Girly is right, and it passes...sorry to spread the old feeling in the frowning thread. I too was hoping to get the day off to a happy start before my Chair shared that.

A few more gems:

Physics and math classes. Profs took roll, went over the syllabus, and started lecturing. One of my physics profs used to start 5 minutes early and end 5 minutes late. I got an extra half hour of quantum mechanics every week from that guy, as it met 3 times a week.

That sounds like a subject where that extra 30 minutes would be invaluable... Smile (But we have 7 minutes for students to get between classes, so I'd never dream of it personally.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2016, 11:12 AM
There are two dozen cupcakes in my kitchen right now, generously gifted to one of my family members by her boyfriend.

I have only recently discovered that I can eat dairy again (an ingredient almost certain to be in the cupcakes). In the recent past, I would view a cupcake as a non food item much in the same way that I view laundry detergent or deodorant. I'm not without symptoms if I eat too much dairy... the key lies in moderation. I find myself exploring an exciting new world of food, but unfortunately lack the skills necessary to limit myself to one cupcake or one bowl of ice cream.

I find myself working hard to resist the urge to bulldoze the enitre batch of cupcakes into my mouth and just apologize later for eating them all.
07-09-2016, 11:13 AM
(07-09-2016 09:38 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 09:22 AM)Fireball Wrote:  Physics and math classes. Profs took roll, went over the syllabus, and started lecturing. One of my physics profs used to start 5 minutes early and end 5 minutes late. I got an extra half hour of quantum mechanics every week from that guy, as it met 3 times a week.

That sounds like a subject where that extra 30 minutes would be invaluable... Smile (But we have 7 minutes for students to get between classes, so I'd never dream of it personally.)

Fortunately, the next class was right down the hallway. Wander out of QM class, dazed and confused, end up in Intro Astronomy. That class was a cake-walk.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
07-09-2016, 11:14 AM
(07-09-2016 11:13 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 09:38 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  That sounds like a subject where that extra 30 minutes would be invaluable... Smile (But we have 7 minutes for students to get between classes, so I'd never dream of it personally.)

Fortunately, the next class was right down the hallway. Wander out of QM class, dazed and confused, end up in Intro Astronomy. That class was a cake-walk.

Cake! Drooling
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post