Small things that make you frown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2016, 06:49 AM
RE: Small things that make you frown
(14-12-2016 02:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 10:24 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  My last Final is 5:45pm to 7:45pm on Friday. Commencement is Saturday. I fly home on Sunday. Weather forecast calls for 1-3 inches during the day on Friday, 3-5 inches of snow during the evening on Friday, and 1-3 inches of snow on Saturday.

Depending on the roads and snow depth, I may call the campus police and see if I have to leave campus Friday night, and instead just sleep there until Saturday Commencement.

What is commencement?

Basically the graduation ceremony. It's mandatory faculty attendance at it. One of the funnier things that will happen is that the Chancellor will tell everyone the Faculty Senate voted to commend the graduating class on their accomplishment. At our Faculty Senate meeting, everyone just sort of stared with a look of, "Why would we not congratulate them?" when that was put up to vote.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2016, 06:53 AM
(14-12-2016 06:49 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(14-12-2016 02:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  What is commencement?

Basically the graduation ceremony. It's mandatory faculty attendance at it. One of the funnier things that will happen is that the Chancellor will tell everyone the Faculty Senate voted to commend the graduating class on their accomplishment. At our Faculty Senate meeting, everyone just sort of stared with a look of, "Why would we not congratulate them?" when that was put up to vote.

Maybe he should word it that way "The Senate didn't vote to not congratulate you on your accomplishment."

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
14-12-2016, 07:14 AM
(14-12-2016 06:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-12-2016 06:49 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Basically the graduation ceremony. It's mandatory faculty attendance at it. One of the funnier things that will happen is that the Chancellor will tell everyone the Faculty Senate voted to commend the graduating class on their accomplishment. At our Faculty Senate meeting, everyone just sort of stared with a look of, "Why would we not congratulate them?" when that was put up to vote.

Maybe he should word it that way "The Senate didn't vote to not congratulate you on your accomplishment."

Or "The Senate voted to congratulate you on your accomplishment anyway"

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
14-12-2016, 07:15 AM
Those replies made me laugh, and are both to an extent...accurate. Or "The Senate voted to welcome you to the pit of despair they exist in, known as repayment of student loans". Once after Commencement, three of us were walking and almost hit by a parent high tailing it out of the parking lot. Other two guys shouted crankily, I started laughing as it hit me, "Between the three of us, that guy would have wiped out nearly half a million dollars in student loans."

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-12-2016, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2016 07:53 PM by CleverUsername.)
Something's wrong with my computer; the backspace and enter keys won't work when I'm typing (except on one forum, but I worry it'll stop working there, too). It's driving me nuts. Everything I post has to be in an ugly single paragraph and I have to highlight and cut anything I want to change.

Edit: Oh thank goodness, restarting to the rescue!

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
15-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Slugs.

[Image: slug_0.jpg]

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
16-12-2016, 09:27 AM
I got out of bed this morning and was immediately told by my wife that she couldn't shut the shower faucet off. Sure enough a piece of the handle was broken inside so it turned freely without turning the shut off mechanism. So I had to take the handle off to get the pliers in there to turn the mechanism. This is the 4th or 5th time this has happened in the 18 years we have lived in this house. I'm getting tired of it and will probably replace the whole faucet instead of just the handle.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
17-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Someone rang the doorbell and husband says, "It's a salesman, I don't want to deal with that."

Wrestle the dogs out of the way and open the door and step outside...yep, salespeople all right. JW invasion. Wanted to show me in the Bible the passage that says diseases will end in our lifetime. Did I believe that would happen - ummm, no.

Told them I don't follow Christianity. Younger one asks if I am aware there are many forms of Christianity - yep, I know that. I state that I am an atheist.

Can I show you a passage from the Bible? I don't believe the Bible is a book written by some higher power, it was written by men, there are many versions and I don't believe it's inspired by a god. Thank you, have a nice day.

Next time husband gets to answer the damn door. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
17-12-2016, 01:33 PM
(17-12-2016 11:15 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Someone rang the doorbell and husband says, "It's a salesman, I don't want to deal with that."

Wrestle the dogs out of the way and open the door and step outside...yep, salespeople all right. JW invasion. Wanted to show me in the Bible the passage that says diseases will end in our lifetime. Did I believe that would happen - ummm, no.

Told them I don't follow Christianity. Younger one asks if I am aware there are many forms of Christianity - yep, I know that. I state that I am an atheist.

Can I show you a passage from the Bible? I don't believe the Bible is a book written by some higher power, it was written by men, there are many versions and I don't believe it's inspired by a god. Thank you, have a nice day.

Were they young? Maybe you kicked their brains into gear... we can only hope.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-12-2016, 01:48 PM
(17-12-2016 01:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-12-2016 11:15 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Someone rang the doorbell and husband says, "It's a salesman, I don't want to deal with that."

Were they young? Maybe you kicked their brains into gear... we can only hope.

I would guess one was early teen the other maybe mid-30s.

When they asked why I stopped believing my first thought was to tell them it was the result of seven years of Catholic school. Instead I told them that I didn't ever really believe I just followed what my parents made me do with regard to religion.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat