Small things that make you frown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2017, 03:25 PM
RE: Small things that make you frown
(01-02-2017 03:04 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 02:37 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Hug for the both of you. Reading the Bible through in a year right now, and never realized God actually did (post-Passover) require Israel for a time to sacrifice their firstborn after leaving Egypt. Would have to check in July when I'm home again, but don't think I had a similar experience to those. Sad Though I can remember being traumatized at about age 6 or so by a Sunday School teacher as a Baptist. They took our Bibles from us and declared that the government had made Christianity illegal, and we had to write out as much as we could remember off the top of our heads to preserve it. So you had all these kids working feverishly, then they were like, "but you don't have chapter and verse" and by the time several people were crying, they were like, "This is just to show you how important it is to memorize God's Word, you never know when it will be taken away. This actually happens in some countries!" Hadn't thought of it for years until you two posted those posts, but it still hits at my feelings of Biblical inadequacy today, even though I have a better generalized idea of things and where they are than the folks in that Sunday School who memorized a few dozen verses and their associated numbering.

I think if religion makes you happy and you aren't hurting anyone as a result of your beliefs--I say more power to you. I think the minute it causes you distress, fear, pain, guilt, etc, it's time to reassess things.
A fair and rational point. Smile Your and Loom's posts now have me reading old Livejournal entries too. Hope both of you are okay!

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
01-02-2017, 03:28 PM
(01-02-2017 03:25 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 03:04 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I think if religion makes you happy and you aren't hurting anyone as a result of your beliefs--I say more power to you. I think the minute it causes you distress, fear, pain, guilt, etc, it's time to reassess things.
A fair and rational point. Smile Your and Loom's posts now have me reading old Livejournal entries too. Hope both of you are okay!

Oh yeah, I'm okay now. It was just what I went through when I was very religious. It's all a thing of the past for me now. But at the time, yeah, it was a bit of a struggle just from my religious indoctrination.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
01-02-2017, 06:24 PM
(01-02-2017 02:41 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 01:25 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

This is the wrong small things thread oops.

The puppy was found in the trash. I frowned. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-02-2017, 07:35 PM
(01-02-2017 06:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 02:41 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This is the wrong small things thread oops.

The puppy was found in the trash. I frowned. Angry

That was a shit thing for whoever did it, but it gave me a warm fuzzy amidst the frowny stuff. Yes
01-02-2017, 08:54 PM
My SO and I are watching Raptors/Celtics. She's a fan as she has a personal connection with the team. Me, I'm pretty *meh* about basketball.

But the officiating... oh gawd the officiating... the anti-Raptor bias is clear for anyone to see.

A few years ago an ex-NBA referee "came out" and said that, essentially, the games are rigged. Even Time Magazine wrote an article about it. Source: Here's How Much Money ABC & the NBA Make with an NBA Finals Game 7

Then there's this, which goes directly to the anti-Raptor bias: Is The NBA Rigged? Ex-Referee Tim Donaghy Claims NBA Instructed Officials To Favor Nets Over Raptors.

Again, I really don't care one way or the other as basketball simply doesn't interest me. But how a professional league gets away with rigging games, and their obvious bias, astounds me.
02-02-2017, 05:28 PM
I am having a sore day today. A really, really sore day. If I had know that this breast reconstruction would be an issue seven years later I think I would have passed on having it done.

Sadcryface

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
02-02-2017, 07:00 PM
(02-02-2017 05:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am having a sore day today. A really, really sore day. If I had know that this breast reconstruction would be an issue seven years later I think I would have passed on having it done.

Sadcryface

Hug Pain sucks.
03-02-2017, 11:17 PM
I've been too ashamed to admit this, but my father is like a duplicate of Donald Trump. I love my father very much, but I can't stand Trump and it makes me hyper aware of their shared negative qualities when they're highlighted in the public eye through Trump.

My father is so similar to Trump that people notice it and comment about it to me all the time. His voice sounds like Trump, his accent is the same, his attitude toward business and profit is very similar, his constant use of the phrase “believe me,” and his dismissal of other people’s thoughts, needs and wants in favor of what he believes is right and necessary is strikingly similar to Trump. Their personalities are also very similar, warts and all.

Bleh.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
03-02-2017, 11:33 PM
(03-02-2017 11:17 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I've been too ashamed to admit this, but my father is like a duplicate of Donald Trump. I love my father very much, but I can't stand Trump and it makes me hyper aware of their shared negative qualities when they're highlighted in the public eye through Trump.

My father is so similar to Trump that people notice it and comment about it to me all the time. His voice sounds like Trump, his accent is the same, his attitude toward business and profit is very similar, his constant use of the phrase “believe me,” and his dismissal of other people’s thoughts, needs and wants in favor of what he believes is right and necessary is strikingly similar to Trump. Their personalities are also very similar, warts and all.

Bleh.

My dad was the real life Archie Bunker. He didn't have the accent, but the attitude and the opinions were the same. No

My grandson was having a bad day the other day. Sadcryface

[Image: WlYCMq2.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
06-02-2017, 04:24 PM
So yeah, we were discussing the big game in my class. Mentioned how a Salesian monk friend was happy the Patriots won and I told him to "go back to Jerusalem where you belong". Cue hasty explaining that he studies at the Pontifical university in Jerusalem, and that I am not a raging anti-Semite.

Need to think of a witty signature.