Small things that make you frown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2017, 06:19 PM
RE: Small things that make you frown
(03-02-2017 11:17 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I've been too ashamed to admit this, but my father is like a duplicate of Donald Trump. I love my father very much, but I can't stand Trump and it makes me hyper aware of their shared negative qualities when they're highlighted in the public eye through Trump.

My father is so similar to Trump that people notice it and comment about it to me all the time. His voice sounds like Trump, his accent is the same, his attitude toward business and profit is very similar, his constant use of the phrase “believe me,” and his dismissal of other people’s thoughts, needs and wants in favor of what he believes is right and necessary is strikingly similar to Trump. Their personalities are also very similar, warts and all.

Bleh.

Hug

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
08-02-2017, 09:28 AM
I should have registered for a math class this semester. I don't feel adequately challenged. Sad
08-02-2017, 01:05 PM
(08-02-2017 09:28 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I should have registered for a math class this semester. I don't feel adequately challenged. Sad

You can self-study Wink

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-02-2017, 01:24 PM
(08-02-2017 01:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 09:28 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I should have registered for a math class this semester. I don't feel adequately challenged. Sad

You can self-study Wink

That's exactly what I'm going to do. There are parts in my textbook from my last class that we didn't get to and stuff I just need more practice on.

Yay for answers in the back of the book!
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
08-02-2017, 01:30 PM
(08-02-2017 01:24 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 01:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  You can self-study Wink

That's exactly what I'm going to do. There are parts in my textbook from my last class that we didn't get to and stuff I just need more practice on.

Yay for answers in the back of the book!

Works better anyway. I never could get the hang of lectures Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
08-02-2017, 03:04 PM
(08-02-2017 01:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  

You can self-study Wink

Agreed. IMO, this is a good approach. My entire mathematical experience has been through self-study: I did not like math in H.S, nor did I do math in college (though I did do a liberal arts math course).

I wish you luck with your math studies, Aliza. IMO, math is a very beautiful subject. Live long and prosper.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 1 user Likes Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
08-02-2017, 04:59 PM
(08-02-2017 03:04 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  ... nor did I do math in college (though I did do a liberal arts math course).

I am very curious as to what a liberal arts math course consists of. Consider

Or, for the preposition-phobic, "Of what does a liberal arts math course consist?"

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2017, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2017 06:56 PM by Aliza.)
(08-02-2017 04:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 03:04 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  ... nor did I do math in college (though I did do a liberal arts math course).

Or, for the preposition-phobic, "Of what does a liberal arts math course consist?"

College algebra and trigonometry are the two required math courses for non STEM majors, but there are some non STEM majors that you can squeak by with even less math. If you're going for a degree in art history or a degree in theater, you can take liberal arts math which is just a very general math class that touches on a lot of areas, but doesn't dig very deep. Those are my favorite people to tutor because they usually haven't had the material presented to them in a way that's appealing to right-brained people. I like to do the honors. Smile

Edit: I should have said algebra and trig are two courses that non stem majors can select in Florida.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
08-02-2017, 10:16 PM
(08-02-2017 04:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  

In a nutshell, based on my experience, a liberal arts math course is like a mini-discrete math course. In particular, after perusing my book, these are the following areas that I remember being covered in the course:

1) Logic.

Deductive/inductive reasoning; symbolic logic; truth tables; conditional statements.

2) Sets and Counting

Venn diagrams; basic set theory; intro to combinatorics; permutations and combinations; and voting systems.

3) Probability

Finding probabilities and odds; mutually exclusive events; pair-of-dice probabilities; card probabilities; betting strategies.

4) Statistics

Population versus sample; frequency distributions; mean, median, mode; variance and standard deviation; normal distributions; poll and margin of error.

5) Finance

Simple and compound interest; annuities; amortized loans; payout annuities.

6) Geometry

Perimeter and area; volume and surface area (this was a very brief section in the course).

I hope the information provided in this post was useful in answering your inquiry, sir. Live long and prosper.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 2 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
09-02-2017, 07:37 AM
(08-02-2017 10:16 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 04:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  I am very curious as to what a liberal arts math course consists of. Consider

In a nutshell, based on my experience, a liberal arts math course is like a mini-discrete math course. In particular, after perusing my book, these are the following areas that I remember being covered in the course:

1) Logic.

Deductive/inductive reasoning; symbolic logic; truth tables; conditional statements.

2) Sets and Counting

Venn diagrams; basic set theory; intro to combinatorics; permutations and combinations; and voting systems.

3) Probability

Finding probabilities and odds; mutually exclusive events; pair-of-dice probabilities; card probabilities; betting strategies.

4) Statistics

Population versus sample; frequency distributions; mean, median, mode; variance and standard deviation; normal distributions; poll and margin of error.

5) Finance

Simple and compound interest; annuities; amortized loans; payout annuities.

6) Geometry

Perimeter and area; volume and surface area (this was a very brief section in the course).

I hope the information provided in this post was useful in answering your inquiry, sir. Live long and prosper.

So probability is liberal? I assumed it leaned right since it is so improbable that a tornado could assemble a 747.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post