Small things that make you frown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2017, 01:27 PM
RE: Small things that make you frown
(25-03-2017 10:45 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Goddamn the world is noisy!

My wife and I live in an older suburb of Philadelphia, and when we go out for walks to the park and back we often are annoyed by the incredible noise pollution -- sirens, dogs barking, cars, planes, kids and so on. The volunteer fire department has a siren which goes off across the street from private residences, and I don't know how the people there stand it. It hurts my ears unless I cover them as I walk by. You would think in this electronic age they would have abandoned such a system long ago.

Shocking

Every once in awhile we hear birds too, to remind us how noises can be pleasant as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2017, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2017 07:27 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Going to run off TTA for now, because the College Democrats just sent me an "oops" email, they gave me the wrong day/time for my speech on hate crimes as part of the immigration panel they're hosting. So I have until 5pm to teach and make this speech that has to double as the last person to speak before the folks from the Mexican Consulate in the decent sized city nearby.

Edit: So glad that's over.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
02-04-2017, 09:32 PM
So, the boy mentioned something tonight that's got me a bit worried. Undecided This isn't anything he's really mentioned before, but we picked him up from being over at his dad's place and when we got home, he burst into tears. Asked him what was wrong and he mentioned a couple of things but the one that really bothered me / worried me was him mentioning that he constantly experiences this feeling of being watched. Like there is someone else in the room. He says he feels this way no matter where he's at (whether it's somewhere familiar or unfamiliar), no matter what time of day it is (day or night), and no matter whether he is alone or if there are other actual people in the room. He said he feels like there is always someone there watching him.

He carries around the Nook quite a lot and watches YouTube on it. He'll carry it to the bathroom with him, even, and we have to get on to him because unless we say something, he'll watch it late into the night. He told me that it helps him to keep his mind off of the feeling of being watched. He seemed very distressed and of course that worried me too. Sad

As he spoke he was fidgeting with a little toy he has, and asked if we'd order him a little fidget toy thing (it's one of those fidget toys that help folks with anxiety or ADD or ADHD - hell I use similar stuff to help me when I'm stressed at work) so we did because it was no big deal, honestly, and I wanted to make him feel better.

I'm just not sure. I asked him if he has always felt this way (like, even when he was little) but he thinks it's just been the last two years or so. Of course my thought immediately goes to my dad's death (he died in October 2015) which was not quite two years ago but I don't know if it's related at all.

Anyway. Sad

04-04-2017, 09:22 PM
[Image: oK5JjUk.jpg]

This bird is not in focus. But only just. Bothers me.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
05-04-2017, 08:30 PM
I'm not very happy with myself today. Was stone cold bored at work today and I guess that fucking fried my brain. Just been off all evening. Sad

But will have a brownie in a minute. So that's good.

05-04-2017, 09:12 PM
(04-04-2017 09:22 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  [Image: oK5JjUk.jpg]

This bird is not in focus. But only just. Bothers me.

Angry You're fired! JK, if you saw pics that I take, you would laugh. I get bagged on at one wood working forum I frequent all the time, because I don't have many pics of my work. My picture taking skills are down there with stone age stone carving. Now that I can get almost decent pics with my newer cell phone, I have posted more project pictures there. You're doing well, believe me!
06-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Bit of a frown, bit of a laugh at myself moment. Had an advising session to run, and couldn't find room D109 for the life of me. Was panicked and running back and forth searching, and it would be like D101, D105, D107, D111, etc. Turned out D109 was in another building. Ran to that building, ran to the room, no one was there. Ran back to original building, ran up a floor, the meeting was at L109. Students found it hilarious I was looking for what (in that building) was a nonexistent room. Tongue

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
06-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Shai Hulud, that reminded of the pilot of one of my most favourite comedy shows: NewsRadio Big Grin

I'm always terrified of getting lost when I'm in a new place... also rather wary of using the public transport...not out of fear for my safety or something, but because I'm terrified of making a mistake... 'cause if I'm not perfect, how can people like me, right? Sleepy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
06-04-2017, 12:36 PM
(06-04-2017 12:31 PM)Vera Wrote:  Shai Hulud, that reminded of the pilot of one of my most favourite comedy shows: NewsRadio Big Grin

I just finished binge-watching the first few seasons of that.
Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Splinters.
{frowny face}

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein