Small things that make you frown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2017, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2017 08:28 AM by Vera.)
RE: Small things that make you frown
Yeah, I'm getting all the mental gymnastics I would ever need (and then some) trying not to sprain a neural pathway while translating my current bilge. Not sure I can handle watching religionists perform feats of contortionism that could rival Cirque du Soleil, trying to persuade themselves that god (or its bronze-age creators, anyway) had any clue that rape was wrong (or that women were not just chattel with funny nether bits Dodgy ).

If nothing else, this is further proof just how amazing the human brain actually is - we can persuade ourselves of pretty much anything, as long as we really really want it to be true. Even if we end up wasting our entire life doing it...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
29-04-2017, 08:41 AM
(29-04-2017 04:14 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 02:20 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Then again, Deuteronomy does say if a woman's raped you need to pay her dad and marry her. Christian Apologetics Site GotQuestions does some truly astounding mental gymnastics about that chapter of Deuteronomy.

Aaaand... how does it sit with you?

I think the answer is pretty clearly 'not well'. Sad

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2017, 10:13 AM
(28-04-2017 02:05 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I think I just got Secularist Bingo. Our secretary was ranting about the new "free speech zone" they've put on campus, and how you can't even pray in schools any more, or have Christian displays at courthouses, how we should have the 10 Commandments up everywhere as the basis of our laws. And how if these atheists want Good Friday removed, they should be forced to work on it. (Uh...we all do in this state, none of us get Good Friday off. She also called me out on having a test on Good Friday, "and you're Catholic!") And then started ranting about those atheist groups who send cease and desist letters. Facepalm Took all I had in me not to say, "On that note, next Christmas, can you not have a giant manger on our department office window? I was expecting us to get a letter from FFRF and several students expressed their discomfort to me."

You should have shouted "bingo" and see who laughed. That would be the atheist in the room.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
29-04-2017, 10:18 AM
(29-04-2017 04:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  There's a big freakin' nail in the back tire of my car. Thanks, Trump.

It was a great nail. The largest and certainly the sharpest one ever no doubt. Nails love me.

[Image: trump-2-700x422.jpg.cf.jpg]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
29-04-2017, 10:40 AM
(29-04-2017 10:13 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 02:05 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I think I just got Secularist Bingo. Our secretary was ranting about the new "free speech zone" they've put on campus, and how you can't even pray in schools any more, or have Christian displays at courthouses, how we should have the 10 Commandments up everywhere as the basis of our laws. And how if these atheists want Good Friday removed, they should be forced to work on it. (Uh...we all do in this state, none of us get Good Friday off. She also called me out on having a test on Good Friday, "and you're Catholic!") And then started ranting about those atheist groups who send cease and desist letters. Facepalm Took all I had in me not to say, "On that note, next Christmas, can you not have a giant manger on our department office window? I was expecting us to get a letter from FFRF and several students expressed their discomfort to me."

You should have shouted "bingo" and see who laughed. That would be the atheist in the room.

Pretty sure that was neither she, nor the adjunct who kept enthusiastically agreeing with her... Tongue

(29-04-2017 10:18 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(29-04-2017 04:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  There's a big freakin' nail in the back tire of my car. Thanks, Trump.

It was a great nail. The largest and certainly the sharpest one ever no doubt. Nails love me.

[Image: trump-2-700x422.jpg.cf.jpg]

And that nail was made in America, not in China. Because we need to use American nails. Except in projects where the Trump brand is involved, because only other people need to pay more to buy American.

Need to think of a witty signature.
30-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Went to boss on Friday to see if he had time to show me how to do something on a client's account that I haven't done before. It's a task for this client only and there are parts of the task I have done when working on other clients but this is a jacked up mess that needs to be fixed and then we need to get the client to stop doing it that way.

Boss is so fast and knows many steps ahead where he is going. Even when he slowed down it was too fast for me to pick up. I know what questions to ask that will help me to understand but he always stops me and says to just focus on certain things. I need to know where I am supposed to be going to be able to wrap my head around it.

I did tell him that his way of teaching and my way of learning are going to have to meet in the middle if we are going to be successful in transferring this task to me.

A million distractions and Sister Christian butting in over and over and I had to leave a bit early. I was hungry, tired, and my head hurt. I have spent all weekend going over and over Friday afternoon in my head and am no closer to figuring it out.

So, I will find out in the morning if we are going to start again.

Weeping

At least he got a good look at just how slow my computer is so hopefully it will either be juiced up or replaced in the near future.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-04-2017, 05:16 PM
(30-04-2017 04:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So, I will find out in the morning if we are going to start again.

Tell you boss it's too complicated, so you have to start over and take notes this time.
30-04-2017, 05:25 PM
(30-04-2017 05:16 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(30-04-2017 04:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So, I will find out in the morning if we are going to start again.

Tell you boss it's too complicated, so you have to start over and take notes this time.

That's the problem...he doesn't give me time to write any notes. He has me flipping back and forth between two screens on a software program and three spreadsheets. He said he had been doing it for 20 years. Three hours on Friday wasn't enough got me to get up to speed. Sadcryface

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-05-2017, 12:18 PM
(30-04-2017 05:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(30-04-2017 05:16 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Tell you boss it's too complicated, so you have to start over and take notes this time.

That's the problem...he doesn't give me time to write any notes. He has me flipping back and forth between two screens on a software program and three spreadsheets. He said he had been doing it for 20 years. Three hours on Friday wasn't enough got me to get up to speed. Sadcryface

Tell him you'll have it down pat in, say, 20 years or so.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-05-2017, 12:44 PM
(30-04-2017 05:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(30-04-2017 05:16 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Tell you boss it's too complicated, so you have to start over and take notes this time.

Sounds like he's just showing off then. I don't know how you get around that except to tell him he's got to go slower so you can actually learn what you need to do.