Small towns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Small towns
Were you from a small town? This is the dry, dusty, hot town I spent 6 years of my middle and high school years living in. Everyone gossips about what's going on in everyone else's private life. Hated it.

[Image: 93910493.jpg]

Small towns are ok for a while but when one has a curious mind and wants to experience the world there's no way this can happen in a small town. When I left I never went back and I've never had any desire to find out what's going on there.

You?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2015, 11:18 AM
RE: Small towns
Yup, and I technically didn't even grow up in the very small town of only 136 or so people! I grew up out in the country, but the small town held the school that I went to. I hated it as well. Everybody talking about how everyone is family and some shit, when I had a rough time of school and was bullied, etc. Frustrating. Had the opportunity to move to a larger town (over 100,000 people which, maybe to many of you that is *still* small Blush ) and loved it. Had to move back out to the country with my parents due to my divorce, but gonna be heading back to "the big city" very soon. Can't wait!!! Big Grin

Oh, and your small town actually has a traffic light. Fancy. Tongue Nothing but stop signs in Podunkville, Texas where i went to school. Hobo

Note, there is no such thing as Podunkville - the town name was changed to uh, well, to amuse me. Big Grin

01-03-2015, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2015 11:23 AM by DLJ.)
A village in what used to be farm country but is now houses.

Horses in the back field and the smell of pig shit every summer.

[Image: 12580_BRA120457_IMG_00_0000_max_656x437.JPG]

I went back a couple of weeks ago to visit my parents who have lived there since the mid '60s.

Before I left England I was living in a smaller village (1,000 people; three churches; three pubs, a hotel and the oldest jail in Bedfordshire (big enough for one person)).

[Image: Harrold%20Lockup%20January%202008.jpg]

This was a village surrounded by other villages surrounded by more villages i.e. the middle of nowhere.

Idyllic.

Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Same here, a place with less than a 1000. It's good because it's on the hills so lots of wind = clean air, and very few cars, so quiet and stress-free. But on the other hand it's boring, especially for someone young.

I prefer big cities, not as in metropolitan cities though. Medium-big, but not "oppressively" big. I like parks, wide streets, coloured buildings, lots of public transports...

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
01-03-2015, 11:24 AM
I grew up in a town of around 3,000 people, mostly Catholic. Was there from age 11 till my mid 20s. It was my dad's hometown and where my grandparents lived so I had ties before we moved there.

[Image: 21186990.jpg]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
01-03-2015, 11:45 AM
The place where I grew up in Ohio was so small that it was considered a village.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2015, 12:05 PM
(01-03-2015 11:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  A village in what used to be farm country but is now houses.

Horses in the back field and the smell of pig shit every summer.

[Image: 12580_BRA120457_IMG_00_0000_max_656x437.JPG]

I went back a couple of weeks ago to visit my parents who have lived there since the mid '60s.

Before I left England I was living in a smaller village (1,000 people; three churches; three pubs, a hotel and the oldest jail in Bedfordshire (big enough for one person)).

[Image: Harrold%20Lockup%20January%202008.jpg]

This was a village surrounded by other villages surrounded by more villages i.e. the middle of nowhere.

Idyllic.

Smile

That's at least cute and quaint. In the dry, drab town I lived in there was nothing very green to look at. It was super hot most of the time and without the invention of air conditioning the area would be unlivable. Because there was nothing else to do everyone took it upon themselves to shove their noses in everyone elses business.

When I finally moved to the city life improved almost 100% so I don't understand the charm of small towns.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
01-03-2015, 01:20 PM
I grew up in Munich, which is metropolitan but somehow managed to keep a small town feel for a long time. (not so much anymore now). On weekends and short vacations we often went to a cottage way up in the alps, quite isolated. I loved that when little, hated it as teenager. From Munich I moved to San Francisco. Loved city life. I stayed there for a long time (20 years), then moved to a small town in Central California. Slowly we moved further and further away from civilization until we settled in the middle of nowhere. I love it here, and you couldn't make me move back to a city for anything. You couldn't pay me to.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Town?

What town???

The nearest neighbor is a 1/4 mile away....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-03-2015, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2015 02:30 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
Before you look at this image and gripe to me that it's not a small town, let me explain. When you live in a large city there are pockets of smaller areas and communities. Just a different perspective of feeling like you lived in a very small community most people don't really understand.

[Image: 679e4c5c142a42da4fd942c3f04ee961.jpg]

Growing up most people in these areas took public transportation or had one car. Parking in San Francisco sucked, so it wasn't uncommon for people to go their whole life without a drivers license. They rode Jitny's (theyre sorta like cabs that travel a route and were cheaper than buses) and buses.

Everyone in our area shopped at the same grocery store, the same corner market/deli, the same produce store and bakery. Most went to the same bank. We couldn't go around the block without seeing someone we knew (it made shopping trips unbearable for me as a kid).

The gossip was always there, everyone talked about everyone else. Everyone knew if you deposited your paycheck because everyone used the same bank branch. Everyone attended the same catholic church, and genally walked or rode the bus. If you skipped mass, or went to a different one, everyone noticed and asked why.

Most places had a "tab" where you got what you needed and paid for it at the end of the month. Not just the local bar...but all the shops. My grandmother got her hair done weekly at the same place all the ladies in the neighborhood went to. Comb and tease don't you know...

All the men hung out at the corner bar, played pool, drank.

I was inside once when I was like three. They also hung out at the barber shop.

It's funny but most rarely left their area, except to work. Everything you bought or restaurants you ate at were within walking distance of your home.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces