Small towns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2015, 04:01 PM
RE: Small towns
Town would be an overstatement. There was a convenience store on the island where I spent most of the year. It wasn't stocked too bad considering transportation off island was initially by boat only, though a bridge was eventually built so we could drive directly to town from home rather than first taking a row boat to where we parked. It was quicker to row to the campground near school, tie up there, and walk the rest of the way than it was to take the school bus.

When we'd go to Alaska during the fishing season, we'd get a commercial flight to Kenai then hop on a smaller plane to get to the seasonal fishing town where we had a cabin. Again, nothing I'd call roads coming in. This is where I'd stay while my stepfather fished. There was a very basic store that had some dried goods and other essentials, nothing fresh. Aside from that, we'd snag a moose or something for the duration of the stay. Wild berries were also quite plentiful if you knew where to look, even in the winter if you didn't mind bringing them back to thaw out or cook with.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I get nostalgic Tongue

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2015, 04:02 PM
I grew up in, and still live in a very small rural village.

It's a double edged sword... On the one hand it was an almost idyllic childhood, playing in the woods. But now it's too remote and quiet to do anything much.

A car helps, but the government has succeeded in pricing me out of the market. And the council is talking about scrapping the bus service... So it looks like I'm stuck here.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Grew up in a small town of 5,000 or so people.

[Image: header_02.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
01-03-2015, 08:34 PM
(01-03-2015 08:17 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Grew up in a small town of 5,000 or so people.

They were small folks, so it was only 2,500 people.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
01-03-2015, 08:51 PM
A little over 3000 in my hometown. I think it was great to grow up in a small town, not so much to stay there.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
02-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Born/grew up in a city of 250,000+, moved to 3 miles outside a small town of 700. You couldn't drag me back to the city. I can see 1 neighbor when the leaves are off the trees. Other than that it's wildlife, which are much more interesting than people.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
02-03-2015, 10:00 AM
(01-03-2015 08:17 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Grew up in a small town of 5,000 or so people.

Smial when you say that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-03-2015, 10:48 AM
(01-03-2015 11:45 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The place where I grew up in Ohio was so small that it was considered a village.

Same here. I was smart and moved away for a while.

Now I am trying to get out of here again.
02-03-2015, 10:55 AM
(01-03-2015 04:01 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Town would be an overstatement. There was a convenience store ...

Sorry, I'm rambling. I get nostalgic Tongue

Luxury!

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
02-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Population of the village nearest me is 704 these days. Used to be more. I was born there. Lived on a farm but we moved to a town. Population of that town is 5528 now but I don't think it had that many when I grew up there. I've moved around a bit and lived in two different small cities for awhile. Now I'm back living in the country surrounded by farms and it's where we want to be. The village will soon be celebrating it's 150th anniversary and is the home of North America's first commercial oil well. I agree that gossip seems to be the entertainment in small towns but gossip is everywhere. The gossip just doesn't get back to us as quickly in bigger places. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Whimsymum's post