Smart frustration

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Smart frustration
I think there may be a correlation between intelligence and frustration.

I certainly feel like I've become smarter ever since I became a sceptic atheist. I guess it's largely due to the fact that I can't pray for things to go my way now. I have to make them go my way. In order to do that I have to understand reality as much as I can. So I take little for granted these days.

Naturally I now require more mental stimulation than ever before for me to be satisfied. Has anyone been through something similar? I get frustrated at most of the things my mom says because they are poorly reasoned. She's emersed in christianity.

I learned that it is important to date someone that is intellectually compatible to you. My one ex was really pretty but everytime I wanted to talk about something not involving pop culture or celebrities, she couldn't contribute. She'd call me "Mr Serious" and I hated it.

I feel like intelligence is a more prominent barrier to satisfication than it was when I took things for granted and said my prayers like a good boy. I also love women. It's hard to find a pretty woman that can also show up on the intellectual side. All this makes me feel frustrated. I feel lonely.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post
14-08-2014, 02:38 PM
RE: Smart frustration
Consider

Correlation but not causality.

You don't have to be a theist to be stupid

.. but it helps.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-08-2014, 02:57 PM
I think once you start to question things and begin to research information for your self you begin to shed light on things that were at one time only taken for granted or that you were spoon fed to satisfy your curiosity. "I feel like intelligence is a more prominent barrier to satisfaction than it was when I took things for granted and said my prayers like a good boy." Those who accept what they are fed without question will be less interesting to have discussions with; however, consider it an upgrade to be able to find others that match the intelligence and curiosity that you have and are seeking.

I tend to have difficulties finding those to explore conversation with as well, hence the reason of being led to TTA. As for myself, it was my finance that introduced me to TTA and I'm just beginning to explore where if any conversations that I can share and learn from. To me, learning, researching, questioning, seeking answers, brings much more enjoyment, pleasure and satisfaction than just accepting things as they are or talking about the latest reality show or celebrity nonsense. That is boring.

Thankfully the internet can provide hours of entertainment, sometimes not always productive, but it is a wonderful tool to have to seek information that is at our fingertips.

I wish you luck in your quest for knowledge and perhaps we'll converse on topics in other posts! Smile

I tend to ask random questions, sometime stupid ones, but I can almost guarantee I'm smarter for asking than not.
14-08-2014, 03:01 PM
(14-08-2014 02:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider

.. but it helps.

Indeed. Believe it or not, there are smart people that are also theists. But yes, I feel that the smarter you are, the easier it is to spot stupid things or get annoyed with people who aren't that bright. You easily see the better way to go about something or think of something. You tell them, they look at you weird, then do their stupid thing and wonder why they're struggling or why it didn't work. It gets annoying, especially if the smart thing to do is simple to you and.....not so simple for the other person.

[Image: notagain.gif]
14-08-2014, 10:53 PM
(14-08-2014 02:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider

.. but it helps.

Perhaps I wrote my OP poorly. I was falling asleep. I wasn't trying to say that theists are stupid or suggest any correlation. I was trying to highlight the reasoning part. I have a discussion on politics and all I hear is emotional stuff. There's no attempt to identify the possible causes for certain things. It could be a side effect from accepting what the bible says without question.

I certainly wasn't saying theists are stupid. I just don't get the mental stimulation I desire from them. It's tedious having to log on just to get a little something something.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
15-08-2014, 04:51 AM
(14-08-2014 02:25 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  I think there may be a correlation between intelligence and frustration.

I certainly feel like I've become smarter ever since I became a sceptic atheist. I guess it's largely due to the fact that I can't pray for things to go my way now. I have to make them go my way. In order to do that I have to understand reality as much as I can. So I take little for granted these days.

Naturally I now require more mental stimulation than ever before for me to be satisfied. Has anyone been through something similar? I get frustrated at most of the things my mom says because they are poorly reasoned. She's emersed in christianity.

I learned that it is important to date someone that is intellectually compatible to you. My one ex was really pretty but everytime I wanted to talk about something not involving pop culture or celebrities, she couldn't contribute. She'd call me "Mr Serious" and I hated it.

I feel like intelligence is a more prominent barrier to satisfication than it was when I took things for granted and said my prayers like a good boy. I also love women. It's hard to find a pretty woman that can also show up on the intellectual side. All this makes me feel frustrated. I feel lonely.

I see what you are saying. You have a more of a frustration in logic. People are very emotional creatures.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
15-08-2014, 11:33 AM
(15-08-2014 04:51 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I see what you are saying. You have a more of a frustration in logic. People are very emotional creatures.

It's really irritating when that's all you get from them no matter what. I was watching a documentary on Bill Gates the other day. When he was at Harvard he'd ask girls (prospective dates) what they scored on the maths part of their SAT. He had a near perfect score. While I thought what he did was excessive, I did make some sense. He was looking to date an intellectual peer.

Intellectual compatability brings an interesting dimension to the whole dating scene. No one wants to be frustrated by their SO. It would seem that there is a trade off between beauty and brains.