Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute - fish website

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2015, 07:46 PM
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute - fish website
As many of you know I spend a great deal of time underwater photographing fish. For more than a year now my wife and I have been providing images to Drs. Ross Roberson and James Van Tassell of the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute for their research.

Up until now there was only an app but today the online version debuted! I am extremely proud to say that, other than the authors themselves, I provided the second most amount of images of any contributor and was even specially acknowledged by the authors! Smartass

We are very proud that our work has found a home that further advances science.

So if any of you want to learn about fish found in the Tropical Western Atlantic go to

http://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/caribbean/en/pages

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Full Circle's post
23-01-2015, 07:53 PM
RE: Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute - fish website
Very cool - short glance for now, will look at a lot more a bit later. So far, I like what I see. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-01-2015, 07:57 PM
You've got an awesome talent for that, FC. You should be proud of yourself. Good on ya! Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
23-01-2015, 07:58 PM
(23-01-2015 07:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Very cool - short glance for now, will look at a lot more a bit later. So far, I like what I see. Thumbsup

Thanks Miss Anjie!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-01-2015, 07:59 PM
(23-01-2015 07:57 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  You've got an awesome talent for that, FC. You should be proud of yourself. Good on ya! Thumbsup

Thanks buddy! Just got the word it went live a few hours ago, I’m pumped!

23-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Wow. Some of those fish have absolutely amazing camouflage ability. The flat ones especially, are those all types of flounder? And how do you spot them? You almost have to see them swimming first because it's almost impossible to see them in the picture.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
23-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Interesting site and really nice photos. Needs more marlins though. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

23-01-2015, 09:06 PM
(23-01-2015 08:13 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Wow. Some of those fish have absolutely amazing camouflage ability. The flat ones especially, are those all types of flounder? And how do you spot them? You almost have to see them swimming first because it's almost impossible to see them in the picture.

Flounders, soles, flatfish etc are masters of camouflage and some of my favorite fish to find. Movement is key!
I’ll glide very close to the sand and wave my hand over it to spook them into moving.

23-01-2015, 09:10 PM
(23-01-2015 08:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Interesting site and really nice photos. Needs more marlins though. Tongue

Pelagic mega-fauna is very rare to see. For instance tomorrow we are heading up the coast to dive and photograph the spawning aggregation of Lemon sharks! Someone made the discovery that this species hung out at this location during the winter and now we routinely find them.

http://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/caribbean/en...pecies/107

Now, if only Marlins did the same thing and someone discovered where Consider

23-01-2015, 09:50 PM
(23-01-2015 09:10 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(23-01-2015 08:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Interesting site and really nice photos. Needs more marlins though. Tongue

Pelagic mega-fauna is very rare to see. For instance tomorrow we are heading up the coast to dive and photograph the spawning aggregation of Lemon sharks! Someone made the discovery that this species hung out at this location during the winter and now we routinely find them.

http://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/caribbean/en...pecies/107

Now, if only Marlins did the same thing and someone discovered where Consider

I can't put my hands on it right now but will look for it this weekend, but I have a copy of a newspaper article written about my grandfather, the fisherman, after he passed away. After describing what a character he was the article ended by saying that he would be missed but not by the marlin that he pursued so effectively. I am pretty sure it was in the sports section of 'The Virginia Pilot' back in 1987.

I have a cool 8x10 picture of my dad, when he was in his early twenties, running the marlin flag up on one of grandpa's boats. That was before they started tagging and releasing.

Grandpa fished the gulf stream off of the Outer Banks. One day I need to get back to Hatteras. -sigh-