Smoking lamb

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Smoking lamb
Thought I'd give lamb a shot. I never even tasted lamb until I was in my twenties. I didn't like it , and haven't had it since. It occurred to me that since then I have grown both in taste and as a cook. So I did some learning (I think the reason I didn't,t like it was it was served too cold) and decided to smoke a lamb roast.

Smoked until internal temp reached 150 (medium). Took seven hours. Smoked over oak (about half charcoal, half wood) with supplemental cherry wood for a little sweetness in the smoke. Gave it a fairly basic pepper based crust. Looks like it's developed an excellent bark.

Resting now.......I'll update when I cut it.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2013, 01:30 PM
RE: Smoking lamb
NO PICS PLEASE!
i'm already hungry...

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
17-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Lamb is my favourite meat. I'm jealous...

... this is my signature!
17-09-2013, 01:39 PM
(17-09-2013 01:18 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Thought I'd give lamb a shot. I never even tasted lamb until I was in my twenties. I didn't like it , and haven't had it since. It occurred to me that since then I have grown both in taste and as a cook. So I did some learning (I think the reason I didn't,t like it was it was served too cold) and decided to smoke a lamb roast.

Smoked until internal temp reached 150 (medium). Took seven hours. Smoked over oak (about half charcoal, half wood) with supplemental cherry wood for a little sweetness in the smoke. Gave it a fairly basic pepper based crust. Looks like it's developed an excellent bark.

Resting now.......I'll update when I cut it.

I hope it goes well. Please keep us advised.

I must admit when I saw the title, pictured you low on certain herbs and trying to get a lamb into a bong.Tongue

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
17-09-2013, 01:46 PM
My in-laws are Romanian. I never liked lamb until they prepared it.

"I don't care, you know. Religion is stupid anyway. I mean, a virgin gets pregnant by a ghost! You would never get away with it in a divorce court, would you?" - Lemmy Kilmister
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Well holy shit! I am a believer!

So I let it rest for about 45 minutes. Wanted to be sure it stayed juicy so I let the IT get right down to 130. Still hot to serve, but hopefully no longer cooking. I cut the end off and it was unreal. A dark pink, 1/4 inch thick smoke ring surrounded this amazing, pale pink, mass of juicy perfection. The juice was just barely sweating out in clear little beads (could have rested five more minutes I think) and it was tender and lean. Very little fat, and yet almost a buttery texture. The flavor was nothing like I remember either. It was obviously different, but very mild. I'd say similar to pork, but with far more depth. Almost an oat like under tone. Does that make any sense at all? Wow. And the bark was to die for. Going heavy pepper was a lucky guess, but it paid big. I sprayed it with apple juice throughout, as I would have with pork, and the surface absorbed the sweetness better than pig!

I am officially a fan of lamb.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
17-09-2013, 02:18 PM
(17-09-2013 02:05 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Well holy shit! I am a believer!

So I let it rest for about 45 minutes. Wanted to be sure it stayed juicy so I let the IT get right down to 130. Still hot to serve, but hopefully no longer cooking. I cut the end off and it was unreal. A dark pink, 1/4 inch thick smoke ring surrounded this amazing, pale pink, mass of juicy perfection. The juice was just barely sweating out in clear little beads (could have rested five more minutes I think) and it was tender and lean. Very little fat, and yet almost a buttery texture. The flavor was nothing like I remember either. It was obviously different, but very mild. I'd say similar to pork, but with far more depth. Almost an oat like under tone. Does that make any sense at all? Wow. And the bark was to die for. Going heavy pepper was a lucky guess, but it paid big. I sprayed it with apple juice throughout, as I would have with pork, and the surface absorbed the sweetness better than pig!

I am officially a fan of lamb.

I knew you must be a man of taste and elegance. This demonstrates it. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Couldn't resist...

[Image: Lambs%20Bread%20Sativa%201.jpg]

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
[+] 3 users Like I Am's post
17-09-2013, 04:45 PM
'I AM's' on the right track. I was gonna say, doesn't it clog up your pipe? Undecided
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post
17-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Rainbow RE: Smoking lamb
Last I think I read about lamb was the Jews burning it in sacrifice so Jehovah could enjoy a good sniff............check out O.T.Sadcryface2

This member severed all participatory ties with TTA 2-July 2015.