Smoking lamb

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2013, 07:12 AM
RE: Smoking lamb
So the question is.....does lamb taste like goat? I've had some people tell methey are very similar. I ask, because I can get well raised goats from someone I know. The price is excellent, and the animals are treated and fed well.

Regardless, I am now a lamb convert. All hail mighty lamb!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2013, 09:27 AM
(18-09-2013 07:12 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So the question is.....does lamb taste like goat? I've had some people tell methey are very similar. I ask, because I can get well raised goats from someone I know. The price is excellent, and the animals are treated and fed well.

Goat is good, I had some in Jamaica. Lamb is tastier, goat is like bland pork.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-09-2013, 09:32 AM
(18-09-2013 09:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-09-2013 07:12 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So the question is.....does lamb taste like goat? I've had some people tell methey are very similar. I ask, because I can get well raised goats from someone I know. The price is excellent, and the animals are treated and fed well.

Goat is good, I had some in Jamaica. Lamb is tastier, goat is like bland pork.

Goat tends to be on the tough side so longer slower cooking is prefered.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-09-2013, 09:59 AM
During the process of going full on vegetarian, the toughest land animal for me to give up permanently was lamb. I will still have a taste off someone's plate - maybe once a year or so. Your description had my mouth watering! I've never had it smoked - usually crusted in pepper, drenched in butter, continually roasted over a spit, and shaved off as eaten. No matter how it's prepared, lamb is always juicy; a soft bead of sweat is standard and it always seems to have a hint of savory sweetness. Thumbsup

It's so great you've expanded your taste experience to include lamb, Stark! Now, when you pass a Greek restaurant, don't hesitate to pop in and see what they have to offer. You can go pure and work on a pile of meat (lamb) to make your own gyros - it doesn't get any better than lamb, onions, and tzatziki sauce. But I would suggest the Moussaka if they make it traditionally with lamb.

Drooling

I'm nearly certain there would be no war if everyone on the planet were given a plate of Moussaka.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-09-2013, 01:57 PM
You people must eat some strange shitty lamb and goat, if you can compare those two with pork. Guess you'll have to visit my part of the world to taste the real deal.

[Image: janjetina-ispod-peke-na-australski-nacin...view_l.jpg]

[Image: raj_11pekapepel.jpg]

Hey kim, you mean this:

[Image: musaka.jpg]

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
18-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Yum! That looks like it might be a version of Moussaka - I've made it myself - it's made with lamb, eggplant, and potatoes on top. I've made it with the potatoes mashed but I've also done it with them shredded. As long as it's all baked in the same pot, it's probably the same thing.

That second photo looks familiar - and YUUUUUUUUMMMMMYYY!! Smile

Greek style Moussaka is a bit different than Middle Easter style - I like both for different reasons. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Your people must eat some strange shitty pork if you can't compare it with lamb and goat. Guess you'll have to visit our part of the world to taste the real deal.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
18-09-2013, 04:47 PM
I've always thought pork was kind of bland and a bit spongy - never really cared for it all that much. Probably a logical reason many meats were pretty easy for me to step away from. I think as a vegetarian, when I do make the decision to taste a meat, I really do enjoy it. I feel like I really take the time to discover all it's nuances.

I suppose much of texture and taste of a meat may have a bit to do with how it's raised, prepared, and then cooked. Like I said before about the Moussaka - Mediterranean style of the same dish can be a bit different than it's Middle Easter equivalent.

For Americans, I think I would most likely compare Moussaka to a Yankee Pot Roast baked & served all in one pan - it's generally the same stuff. But a WORLD of a different taste comparing all three dishes. In the American dish, the meat would most likely be from cow and the vegetables would be carrots rather than eggplant and of course - the potatoes and all the pan drippings.

People are all the same and generally eat the same things - we all just tweak them a bit differently. Wink

An interesting side note of trivia from Qi last week; humans were originally vegetarians and that is why we have a mile of intestines. It's also a reason why some have problems with dairy protein indigestions. We're one of only 3 creatures to switch over - I think that's just fascinating.

18-09-2013, 04:54 PM
(18-09-2013 04:47 PM)kim Wrote:  I've always thought pork was kind of bland and a bit spongy - never really cared for it all that much. Probably a logical reason many meats were pretty easy for me to step away from. I think as a vegetarian, when I do make the decision to taste a meat, I really do enjoy it. I feel like I really take the time to discover all it's nuances.

I suppose much of texture and taste of a meat may have a bit to do with how it's raised, prepared, and then cooked. Like I said before about the Moussaka - Mediterranean style of the same dish can be a bit different than it's Middle Easter equivalent.

For Americans, I think I would most likely compare Moussaka to a Yankee Pot Roast baked & served all in one pan - it's generally the same stuff. But a WORLD of a different taste comparing all three dishes. In the American dish, the meat would most likely be from cow and the vegetables would be carrots rather than eggplant and of course - the potatoes and all the pan drippings.

People are all the same and generally eat the same things - we all just tweak them a bit differently. Wink

An interesting side note of trivia from Qi last week; humans were originally vegetarians and that is why we have a mile of intestines. It's also a reason why some have problems with dairy protein indigestions. We're one of only 3 creatures to switch over - I think that's just fascinating.

The fact we used to be fruit eaters is why we can see the color red. Our ancestors that had the mutation that allowed them to see that low into the light spectrum gave an advantage as red berries are fully ripe and more nutritious.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
18-09-2013, 04:58 PM
That is really cool! So, our stomach is very much what has driven us to become the humans we are today. Thumbsup