Smoking lamb

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2013, 04:15 PM
RE: Smoking lamb
(20-09-2013 11:06 AM)Filox Wrote:  
(20-09-2013 10:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  If you find pork 'blank', you're doing it wrong. Yes

That's my point. You need to do stuff to make it good, tasty and juicy. Lamb comes like that naturally. You can just sprinkle some salt over it and roast it or grill it, without doing anything special. It will always be special by itself.

No, I mean you are using the wrong cut or cooking it wrong.

Pork loin, a little salt and pepper, roast at 350°F/175°C until fat is crackling brown (about 15 min/lb). Pure heaven.

Yes, it is more subtle than lamb or beef.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2013, 04:30 PM
And I agree, but lamb has no wrong cuts... Pork does.

P.S.

I love the neck part.

[Image: rezana-svinjska-vratina.jpg]

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
14-11-2013, 07:01 AM
2 of my favorite food groups

[Image: l-Piglet-and-lamb.png]

Is it common for all countries to love lamb with mint sauce, I'm drolling thinking about it.

[Image: CornwellsMintSauce200ml.jpg]

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
06-07-2016, 03:49 PM
(18-09-2013 07:12 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So the question is.....does lamb taste like goat? I've had some people tell methey are very similar. I ask, because I can get well raised goats from someone I know. The price is excellent, and the animals are treated and fed well.

Regardless, I am now a lamb convert. All hail mighty lamb!

This is old. But interesting. Even though I am off meat and will be that way for a minute. All things even, the straightforward answer is definitely not.

Goat has a very distinctive(and unusual to most Americans) taste. I can smell goat meat at a barbecue festival.

That said, the same animals taste different in different parts of the world. I had some pork in South Africa, and the only thing that told me it's pork was the texture. Same thing with beef, chicken...goat tasted just like goat.

The engineer is in the fridge.
12-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Glad I ran across this. I have a smoker and have become quite good at Ribs, Chicken, Brisket and Pork shoulders. Wanting to try lamb but have not yet. I'm giving this a try and I'll report back :-)
[+] 2 users Like Cuda12's post
20-07-2016, 12:33 PM
I would love to try lamb in my smoker but my wife objects to lamb & veal. Its not like I could cook it and say it is something else; lamb is very distinctive.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
20-07-2016, 01:50 PM
(14-11-2013 07:01 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Is it common for all countries to love lamb with mint sauce, I'm drolling thinking about it.

Mint sauce with lamb? Sure, but only if I don't have mustard and cream.

Lamb Rib Chops With Creamy Whole Grain Mustard Sauce

Ingredients
1 Tbs. butter
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 rack of lamb, frenched and cut into 6 chops
1 finely diced small shallot
1/3 cup cognac
2 Tbs. whole grain mustard
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tbs. torn fresh tarragon leaves
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Season lamb with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, melt butter and oil over medium-high heat. When skillet and oil are hot, place chops down in a single layer. Cook for 3 minutes per side or according to desired doneness.

Transfer chops to a plate and loosely tent with foil to retain heat. Spoon out any fat in excess of 1 tablespoon. Add shallots and saute until softened. Stir in mustard and deglaze with cognac, scraping bottom of pan with a wooden spoon to release any browned bits. When cognac has reduced to about 1 tablespoon, stir in cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in tarragon leaves immediately before serving. Place two or three chops on each plate and spoon the sauce over them.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
20-07-2016, 03:55 PM
(20-07-2016 12:33 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  I would love to try lamb in my smoker but my wife objects to lamb & veal. Its not like I could cook it and say it is something else; lamb is very distinctive.

For ethical reasons? Tell her you're saving the baby sheep and baby cow from a lifetime of misery. And then serve her mutton.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
20-07-2016, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't smoke a lamb.
They don't make papers big enough to roll one in.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin